Coaches to watch this week

M3N

Senior
Babers (bowling green) vs Fuente (Memphis)

Two coaches that are/will be a hot commodity. Babers is from the Art Briles tree and Fuente from Patterson. Should be interestin considering that both coaches are offensive guys.

Advertisement
Bowling Green is a quality team, they would probably beat Miami. They gave UT fits and beat down MD.

Their Qb is quality and they have play makers on the outside.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The fact anyone would mention Fuente when you can land Chud tomorrow is laughable.

Tom Herman is the only other name that interests me.

Advertisement
The fact anyone would mention Fuente when you can land Chud tomorrow is laughable.

So, after Fuente beats Herman, does he become of interest?

You asked me that in the coaching candidates thread and never responded. I have no idea why you're talking as if the outcome of that game should matter so much. Fuente's been at Memphis for three years and is coaching players he recruited. Herman has been at Houston less than one full year and is coaching the prior regime's players. It's an apples to oranges situation.

One coach beating the other in that matchup shouldn't sway anyone's opinion that much for obvious reasons.

Advertisement
It matters because it's an actual head-to-head comparison.

I'll give you that Memphis beating SMU may not matter that much. But Houston and Memphis are on par with one another, IMO. And they're only on par because of what Fuente has done with that Memphis program.

Prior to firing Tony Levine, Houston had Kevin Sumlin and Art Briles as their HC ... And those guys built that program up to where they are already very competitive. And the fact that Houston fired a HC who was 21-17 in his 3+ years there suggests Houston thinks they can absolutely be the next Baylor or TCU.

Comparing Houston and Memphis isn't apples and oranges ... Unless, you're talking about whether one school has an inherent advantage in location over the other. Recruiting as the 5th or 6th best program in Texas is significantly above recruiting as the 3rd or 4th best program in Tennessee.

Take a look at the rosters ... It doesn't matter if Fuente recruited his own kids ... Houston still recruited better classes.

Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com 2012 Team Recruiting Rankings

Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com 2013 Team Recruiting Rankings

Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com 2014 Team Recruiting Rankings

So, it's not as if Fuente has some talent advantage over Herman. And it's likely, Herman actually has the more talented roster.

I'll also point out that you gave Herman credit for what he did with the Ohio State offense. Well, he inherited those kids, too. Why does he get credit for having them perform, but get a pass if Houston doesn't perform? The same Houston team that he just coached up to beat Louisville ...

Clearly, Houston is a quality team.

All of that is stated to suggest that Herman didn't inherit a dumpster fire, like Fuente did at Memphis.

To dive deeper ... Houston won 13 games in 2011. In comparison, Memphis won 12 games, total, from 2009-2013. The fact that Memphis won 10 games last year, and beat BYU in a bowl game is a major accomplishment.

Houston has some semblance of football history, Memphis doesn't.

So if Fuente follows the season he just had by winning the AAC, again ... Which means he's probably gonna have to beat Houston ... That should mean something to the guys on Team Herman, IMO.

Fuente took a doormat program, and took 3 seasons to make them conference champs, bowl champs, and a 10-win team that finished top 25 in the country last season.

He's coached at a small, private college in a large metropolitan city, with some academic requirements when he was at TCU.

He coached under Gary Patterson, who's likely a top 10 coach in CFB. And Patterson allowed him to run his O, which is significant with Patterson having a defensive background.

He developed Andy Dalton into an NFL QB ... And Dalton was the #23 ranked pro-style QB in the country when he signed with TCU.

He currently coaches at an urban school, meaning UM won't be culture shock. I'd guess his family would actually be ok with the move.

He's the definition of "doing more with less", which is the same model he learned at TCU.

He had his DC from last season poached by Mizzou to be their DC, which means he must have an eye for talented staff.

For me, Fuente is the top choice for "up and comers". He's the least risky hire, IMO. The guy is an HC ...

So, if Herman were to beat him when they play. It would matter to me.

And to be clear, I'm not knocking Herman. I think he could be legit. But his game against Memphis is not some "meaningless 1st year game". Herman was hired to make Houston the equivalent of Boise State ... To get them primed for entry into a Power 5, or to establish them as the top program in the Group of 5.

If Herman doesn't compete for the AAC this season, it matters. And if he wins the AAC this season, that matters, too.

So, after Fuente beats Herman, does he become of interest?

You asked me that in the coaching candidates thread and never responded. I have no idea why you're talking as if the outcome of that game should matter so much. Fuente's been at Memphis for three years and is coaching players he recruited. Herman has been at Houston less than one full year and is coaching the prior regime's players. It's an apples to oranges situation.

One coach beating the other in that matchup shouldn't sway anyone's opinion that much for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Herman's got better players than Fuente and one of the top QBs in college football.

Fuente just lost about 13 starters from last year at a program where it's almost impossible to recruit early difference makers. He has to rely on the guys who have been in the program for 3 or 4 years and have grown and developed. Herman should beat Fuente.

One game proves nothing whether it's head to head or not. Folden beat Cutcliffe. He sure as **** isn't anywhere near his league as a HC.

Herman's got better players than Fuente and one of the top QBs in college football.

Fuente just lost about 13 starters from last year at a program where it's almost impossible to recruit early difference makers. He has to rely on the guys who have been in the program for 3 or 4 years and have grown and developed. Herman should beat Fuente.

Agree.

And that's my point.

If Fuente beats him, with a less talented team ... It should matter.

It further validates Fuente's ability to do more, with less ... It speaks directly to coaching.

If you want to argue Herman winning doesn't prove anything, because he should win ... Have at it.

But another stellar season from Fuente, including a win over Herman, matters to me.

I don't know how else you evaluate, assuming you're making a hire after this season.

LOL at Chud being a better HC than Fuente.

Choice: Chud coached an NFL team worth millions and had millions of fans...professional talent, world class

Fuente coaches at a ****** D2 trade school that draws maybe 5k per game, plays in a sandlot, and doesn't even have a functional weight room or practice field

Yeah...LOL at comparing Chud to weak *** MAC trash

Advertisement
Back