Coaches style?

frostycane

Junior
If you look at our previous three failed regimes, they all have one thing in common. They were what would be considered "players" coaches. They were friendly guys easy going types. It ended in unfocused, error riddled teams. Teams that struggled with execution and I'm kind of scared to say it but this current staff is very similar in those areas. I have said for years we need a dominant personality type to come in here to right the wrongs of the past staffs. We have all the same issues that have plagued us, dropped balls, terrible"me" penalties, little to no fire once the NC possibility is gone. In general a soft team. So is there an issue with this staff, especially offensively? Should we be concerned?

Advertisement
I don't really consider Shannon a players' corch... He was a hard ***, even if he was kind of an idiot about it. And Golden I don't think had great relationships with the players either. Coker was definitely a players' corch.

No. the biggest problem has been coaching staffs not playing to their players strengths.

I don't really consider Shannon a players' corch... He was a hard ***, even if he was kind of an idiot about it. And Golden I don't think had great relationships with the players either. Coker was definitely a players' corch.

I am just thinking Al withs the **** ice cream trucks, and the pool parties etc. He was a softie. And I also think Randy, if we wasn't a players coach type he surely had his favorites. I just think we have had the same issues for a few staffs now and I think they all had this in common.

I don't think this matters.

I feel like Dabo and Kingsbury are the same guy. If Texas Tech won more, nobody would gripe about Kliff dancing with his team and being too much of a "player's coach" ... And if Dabo lost more, people would gripe about his dancing with the team and his "aww shucks" personality, instead of just laughing at him.

Saban is an a-hole, so is Meyer ... But the guy who Illinois fired was an a-hole, too. Bo Pelini was also an a-hole.

There's no absolute to coaching personality and results ...

The only thing that matters is being a leader or men, or being an innovator that puts your team in the best position to win.

Coaches who do that will be praised for their style. But it's not really about their style, IMO.

Advertisement
I'd like to see Rick get some dog in him and beat up one of the players. I think our season would turn around at that point.

Advertisement
I'd like to see Rick get some dog in him and beat up one of the players. I think our season would turn around at that point.

LMFAO....Only you can get away with that remark!! I would absolutely love to see that happen. Man, we're losing by 3 at halftime, and boom he straight knocks a mutha fvcka out (Possibly crap porter).....and tells his players, "Now go beat the man up in front of you, or else it will be YOU"!!! We win by 30!! Go Canes!! LOL

Last edited:
Shannon had a lot of what U were looking for. He was a disciplinarian and very detailed oriented. A player didn't see the field and was benched regardless of talent until he corrected the little things that Shannon wanted him to do. However, at that time Shannon was younger then and didn't have balance with his discipline. So some players were afraid of him and didn't say, "I don't understand what to do on a given play". Therefore, some players turned into "yeah coach", "got it", "my bad" guys which was not going to be tolerated by Shannon. Shannon would give that look like "fug u mean, my bad"? lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back