Coach Simpson told us in February they don't care about gap control

SotaCanespiracy

Freshman

At the 6:10 mark coach Jess Simpson makes it's very clear they are aware of the criticisms and flaws of Manny's defense, yet they aren't planning on changing philosophy.

There is a basic understanding of football Manny lacks from never playing I think. I was watching us versus Florida State in 01 the other day and Bobby Bowden said he could tell we were back because we would get pressure with just 4 lineman without blitzing. This isn't the type of D we see from Manure.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The problem the Canes defense has is the LBs, and App St knows it. The LBs were never where they were supposed to be.

The DLs and the DBs weren’t perfect, but they made nearly all the plays. Going forward, I am looking (hoping) for the LBs to consistent step up and just play decent, if they can…

The problem the Canes defense has is the LBs, and App St knows it. The LBs were never where they were supposed to be.

The DLs and the DBs weren’t perfect, but they made nearly all the plays. Going forward, I am looking (hoping) for the LBs to consistent step up and just play decent, if they can…
Respectfully that's not the only problem. Our d line does not dominate in 1 v 1 situations. We play so vertical on the D line we will often run right past a ball carrier or sometime Manny will even stunt away from the play. Our DEs are not big enough. That's why I quoted Bobby B in the op. It's the scheme that all day that is created these problems.

There‘s no dominant player on the defense, period. Maybe one or a few of the younger players will show promise as the season progresses.

Advertisement
Respectfully that's not the only problem. Our d line does not dominate in 1 v 1 situations. We play so vertical on the D line we will often run right past a ball carrier or sometime Manny will even stunt away from the play. Our DEs are not big enough. That's why I quoted Bobby B in the op. It's the scheme that all day that is created these problems.
Lmao at our DEs being too small.
them mofos 250 each!!! Bama’s OLBs (DE’s are 240)!

Honestly, App St’s Coach should be really kicking himself in his ***. Continuing to sub #6 who was steam rolling us for the smaller #20 who came back home, but was much easier to handle, helped Diaz’s defense. If they stayed w/ #6, he could’ve had close to 200 yrds today. His vision & ability to just churn 4-6 ypc, well, would’ve killed us.

I was hoping we came out w/ fire, but nope….we looked just the same last week as this week.

Last edited:
Yea. It’s been known for years. I’ve said it. Macho said it. Dmoney said it. It’s also not just the backers not being in the right place. It’s that also that he doesn’t change. If you know somebody is going to stunt on 3rd & 3 all your gonna do is be patient wait for them to out run their gaps and run where they’re not. It’s going to work most of the time.

Linebacker play hasn’t improved in 6 years. Doubt it does anytime soon

Advertisement
Honestly, App St’s Coach should be really kicking himself in his ***. Continuing to sub #6 who was steam rolling us for the smaller #20 who came back home, but was much easier to handle, helped Diaz’s defense. If they stayed w/ #6, he could’ve had close to 200 yrds today. His vision & ability to just churn 4-6 ypc, will, would’ve killed us.

I was hoping we came out w/ fire, but nope….we looked just the same last week as this week.
Dude could play. Don’t know how the SEC missed him. I heard from a buddy of mine that dude has NFL buzz too. Apparently that info wasn’t forwarded to Manny.

Dude could play. Don’t know how the SEC missed him. I heard from a buddy of mine that dude has NFL buzz too. Apparently that info wasn’t forwarded to Manny.

Yeah, he’s legit man. He was a real handful.

I cant expect a scheme where every D-Lineman just does what he wants. Theres no team cohesion, no one gives himself up for others to make a play etc. etc.

Defense is seek and destroy, but if you have 11 players playing seek and destroy, you have a mess on your hand

Advertisement
There is no rhyme or reason how we play D.
Its amateur hour.

We went from one extreme to the other. Donofrio was so worried about gap control that he didn't even want his d lineman crossing the LOS. Manny gives zero ***** about gap integrity and let's his DLine play every man for themselves. Can we just find a happy medium like every other good college team, and every team in the NFL. And to make it even worse Manny, just like Donofrio, won't change.

Advertisement
We went from one extreme to the other. Donofrio was so worried about gap control that he didn't even want his d lineman crossing the LOS. Manny gives zero ***** about gap integrity and let's his DLine play every man for themselves. Can we just find a happy medium like every other good college team, and every team in the NFL. And to make it even worse Manny, just like Donofrio, won't change.
I completely agree

Kuligowski was that man. The idiots on here will argue. But just take the 10 minutes and watch with the attention to detail and intensity we practiced with in d line clips during his tenure. It shined bright on Saturday’s also

Simpson may not have had enough time with these guys but I’m worried about what I see in practice clips from his unit

Kuligowski was that man. The idiots on here will argue. But just take the 10 minutes and watch with the attention to detail and intensity we practiced with in d line clips during his tenure. It shined bright on Saturday’s also

Simpson may not have had enough time with these guys but I’m worried about what I see in practice clips from his unit
We went away from using the nose guard that Kuligowski liked. He had a clear 3 tech and 0/1 tech. With how we have aligned our DTs the last couple years we lived the center uncovered. This allows people to run right up the middle.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back