Coach Richt

Cane[]_[]DigIt

It's all about the []_[]
Haven't seen this talked about and if it has then my apologies. Coach has made it clear that he will be more involved with the QB's and play calling next season, but has he ever mentioned why in recent years at Georgia he stopped calling plays?

Advertisement
Cane[]_[]DigIt;2461437 said:
Haven't seen this talked about and if it has then my apologies. Coach has made it clear that he will be more involved with the QB's and play calling next season, but has he ever mentioned why in recent years at Georgia he stopped calling plays?

He kinda went into a more CEO role as the head coach. Once he handed the offense to Mike Bobo, who did a excellent job, he just delegated instead of coaching. Also there was some administrative issues going on up there at UGA.

It has been talked about plenty their AD wanted him to be more of a ceo type of coach and he had to delegate his control of the offense to the offensive coordinator. He even admitted this yesterday that this had went on at Uga for the past 7-8 years

Former def. coord at Georgia talked Richt into hiring a new off. coord... From there, as the story goes, Pruitt did everything he could to circumvent Richt's authority by playing Georgia's players against Richt and pushing them to favor new concepts with new coord...Funny how they all got canned with Richts departure...

When they hired the new AD in '06 or '07 Richt stopped calling plays. From what I've heard from UGA people, it wasn't really all his choice.

Advertisement
i hope richt has a huge chip on his shoulder and comes out firing with something to prove to UGA, the SEC and all of the rest of the haters, us against the world mentality from the head coach on down...

and i hope he uses that chip on his shoulder the same way jimmy johnson did when he came to UM after all those years of coming up short in the big8...

I'm intrigued as to why the ad took away play calling abilities. At that time richt had nothing but success. Was it becuase the ad really loved the OC at the time?

Seems like a dumb move

Right? Makes no sense to have him change when he was having his most success at that time period. Weird.

I'm intrigued as to why the ad took away play calling abilities. At that time richt had nothing but success. Was it becuase the ad really loved the OC at the time?

Seems like a dumb move

From what I was told, not sure if true but

2 of their biggest boosters wanted him to quit calln plays, was instrumental in hirings and firings and eventually wanted him gone.

Now we know all boosters play a big role but these two specific ones was running the show to some degree.

Like I said, not sure if true

Advertisement
Reading between the lines it seems Richt's vision for UGA's offense wasn't in line with the unwritten SEC rule of having run first play action 1990's offenses. UGA's boosters and admin didn't share that vision. Then once Saban got rolling everyone has been trying to copy him for years. It's really pretty pathetic.

All these teams switched to 3-4, and ground and pound lives on on, thinking that if you just copy Saban's approach it will guarantee a title.

Advertisement
Back