Coach Richt

daytonacane

Redshirt Freshman
Went to a dinner tonite @ Tomoka Christian Church in Ormond Beach sponsored by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes where Coach Richt was the guest speaker. He has a great sense of humor and enumerated the jobs he had prior to first coaching job at FSU....which included, life insurance salesman, parking valet, bartender.

He was not drafted in the NFL but was invited by Denver to try out. Then they got Elway and he was cut. He then tried out with the Dolphins and along comes Marino and he was cut. He then decided that maybe he would just coach and Bobby Bowden hired him initially as a QB coach. He stated he became a christian after Bobby Bowden talked with the team and coaches after one of their players was shot and killed.

Shaq Quarterman's Mom, Becky, sat at our table. She lives here in the Daytona area. When Richt's speach was over, he stopped at our table to talk with Becky.

Advertisement
It's fitting that life would have it that Richt would speak at that type of event the day he received a contract extension. #blessed

Talk about life sending you a message...

I'm gonna play QB at The University of Miami.
(Miami gets Jim Kelly)

I'm gonna play QB for the Denver Broncos.
(Denver gets John Elway)

I'm gonna play QB for the Miami Dolphins.
(Fins get Marino)

Yeah, maybe I should just be a coach.

Rick is a good Christian but he’s fire and brimstone on the practice field and during games. He’s cut more along the cloth of a warrior like David than he is along the likes of the humble shepherd, at least when he’s competing.

I’ve already seen too many examples of his intensity...and I think it’s a good thing.

Obviously, outside of that he’s a different person.

Also, he was no saint prior to becoming a coach. He was a typical athlete and student. He knows the life, so he can relate.

Advertisement
Rick is a good Christian but he’s fire and brimstone on the practice field and during games. He’s cut more along the cloth of a warrior like David than he is along the likes of the humble shepherd, at least when he’s competing.

I’ve already seen too many examples of his intensity...and I think it’s a good thing.

Obviously, outside of that he’s a different person.

Also, he was no saint prior to becoming a coach. He was a typical athlete and student. He knows the life, so he can relate.

I think he can well relate. He stated that during college he was a Class 1A party animal.

He stated he became a christian after Bobby Bowden talked with the team and coaches after one of their players was shot and killed.

Pablo Lopez, remember that, sadly. Lopez was actually from Miami, had just gotten married to His pregnant wife the week He was killed.

Advertisement
Back