Coach Richt and Defense

twalcott5

Freshman
I am not concerned at all about Coach Richt's offensive approach and philosophy. Coach Richt's legacy at the U will be marked by what kind of defense and defensive philosophy he adopts. If he learns from the bad defenses and defensive mistakes he has historically made, if he gets the right defensive coordinator, the right defense, ala FSU's, we will win national championships. No doubt about it. If he does not, welcome back Golden II.

Advertisement
I followed coach Richt closely at GA. With the exception of his quarterback debacle this past year, his offenses have normally been very good. What has kept him from winning the big games and beating the Alabama's, UF's, LSU's, etc., has been his defenses and defensive philosophy.

Case in point, who is GA hiring as Richt's replacement? Kirby Smart. What does Kirby Smart know about football? "Defenses". He is currently Alabama's DC. Why do you think UGA is doing this? They have not been pleased with their defenses historically and understand that defenses win championships, not offenses. UGA has been mulling a coaching change for the past 3 years.

I've met coach Richt. He is by far the easiest going and nicest coach and person I've ever met, and I like him as a person. He just needs to adopt much more of a "kick ***" attitude like Saban or Meyer which I've also met and by the way, they are not very nice or cordial people but one thing they do is win championships.

Advertisement
OP I agree with you ! After the Mark Richt hire I think this is the single most important decision that has to be made for our football program. In this past decade or whatever we have been able to put points on the board but have been unable to stop anybody. Especially in the Al Golden era! Imagine a team where the defense averages between 5-10 3-n-Outs a game giving Kaaya and our offense more chances at scoring! Its imperative Richt gets this right. I hope Richt gives Jim Leavitt and Don Brown a look.

Not historically. He had Willie Hernandez as DC for 5 years, which he ultimately had to fire. Mr. Hernandez reminded me a lot of Mark D'Onofrio. How did D'Onofrio do at the "U"? By the way, how did UGA's defense do against an anemic UF offense, with Treon Harris at the QB helm this year? They freaking fell apart which led to coach Richt's firing.

CMR has had good defenses at Georgia in his career. What has hurt UGA tremendously this year is not having a QB worth a dime, only having one great WR in Malcolm Mitchell, not utilizing their TE this year because of previously stated bad QB...and losing maybe the best RB in the country in Nick Chubb. Their defense hasn't been as good as in the past but it was serviceable. Their QB situation is atrocious.

Case in point, who is GA hiring as Richt's replacement? Kirby Smart. What does Kirby Smart know about football? "Defenses". He is currently Alabama's DC. Why do you think UGA is doing this? They have not been pleased with their defenses historically and understand that defenses win championships, not
offenses. UGA has been mulling a coaching change for the past 3 years. I've met coach Richt. He is by far the easiest going and nicest coach and person I've ever met, and I like him as a person. He just needs to adopt much more of a "kick ***" attitude like Saban or Meyer which I've also met and by the way, they are not very nice or cordial people but one thing they do is win championships.

You don't have to be an ******* to win. Just get the right DC and we'll be hoisting that 6th natty trophy soon!

Advertisement
Not historically. He had Willie Hernandez as DC for 5 years, which he ultimately had to fire. Mr. Hernandez reminded me a lot of Mark D'Onofrio. How did D'Onofrio do at the "U"? By the way, how did UGA's defense do against an anemic UF offense, with Treon Harris at the QB helm this year? They freaking fell apart which led to coach Richt's firing.

Willie Hernandez was never the DC of UGA.

They have the 7th best defense in the country this year along with other top 10 and top 25 ranked units along MRs tenure in Athens.

Willie Martinez.....and he was not a top flight DC by any means. He basically got run out of town.

I wanted butch because I know butch would have fielded a nasty defense. Bama, with a solid run game and a QB that is serviceable is in the conversation each year because of their Defense.

Willie Hernandez was never the DC of UGA.

They have the 7th best defense in the country this year along with other top 10 and top 25 ranked units along MRs tenure in Athens.

I'm guessing he's talking about Willie Martinez.

Advertisement
We have to hope that he hires the right guy of course.

But also what will help alleviate things is his ability to recruit the best talent in his own back yard.

Also. look at the current landscape. There really isn't a dominant defense out there. Alabama, MSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc., have good defenses but all of them have weaknesses , all of them give up big plays. None of them would be in the same stratosphere of the Canes of 2001, F$U 99, USC 2004, etc.

As long we can recruit the best players we should be fine with a competent D coordinator.

I think it's safe to say that whatever defense Richt fields will be infinitely better than the abortions we have been accustomed to the last few years.

I don't think he will hire a guy he has fired in the past. That would be a bad look.

Grantham was a very good hire and so was Pruitt. He has learned from his prior mistakes. He will have access to alot more talent on Defense at Miami.

Advertisement
Whatever Mark's defenses were at UGA do not matter now. The important thing is what will he do here. There is a type of defense that has worked at THE U and helped it dominate college football for all or parts of three decades. Nice or not, Mark needs to realize that and get a DC who will implement it. Then they must harvest the endless supply fast aggressive defensive players that nobody else has equal access to. Finding the right DC and recruiting Miami quality DTs use and go with the fruit of that harvest will decide if Mark ever wins a NC and if we return to greatness. He is too good for us to even consider that his offense might fail -- at least if he has a QB like Kaaya.

Advertisement
Back