Coach Morris...

bomb

Band
Banned
I had a good chat with a solid former starter this past weekend, who is still dialed into the program.

Told me Morris has checked out, and he thinks this will be his last season. Says personal life has taken up more of his time. His heart is still in it, its the the symptoms of getting older. Has a new kid at a pretty old age, IIRC.

Says Gino isn't back here for nothing. That its going to be his job. Says his body is ready.

I am sharing because it was a good talk. I know this is nothing earth-shattering. And its not gospel, and anything can happen. I am not much of a gossip type and I usually keep this stuff to myself, so don't shoot the messenger please.

Advertisement
We've been burned by HC's/AD choosing assistants as successors. What is the word on Gino taking over? I personally don't like assistants from failed programs taking over, see Shannon

We've been burned by HC's/AD choosing assistants as successors. What is the word on Gino taking over? I personally don't like assistants from failed programs taking over, see Shannon

I have to think Gino is the frontrunner to succeed Morris, especially since his dad has a major role in UM athletics.
And I think that is not good for UM baseball.
The landscape of college bb has changed, making it harder on the pricey private schools.
UM can still win but it will need a coach with new ideas and alot of energy.
A big picture kind of guy ala Golden and Larranaga.

Advertisement
A Larranaga or Golden type of guy for baseball is out there somewhere. Morris checked out years ago.

I have to think Gino is the frontrunner to succeed Morris, especially since his dad has a major role in UM athletics.
The landscape of college bb has changed, making it harder on the pricey private schools.

If they hire Gino because his daddy gives UM a lot of money, that is a joke.

If they hire Gino because his daddy gives UM a lot of money, that is a joke.

Wait for it.

Advertisement
I would like to see them make a big deal hire... but there are plenty of examples of people getting the chance to step up and crushing. I know many people around the program think he can get it done. Remember he was the one who recruited all the big time guys when we were good. It takes a 3 year cycle generally with recruits. He is back here now working it, so I am looking forward to Gino reeling in some big time talent if he does indeed get the gig.

I would like to see them make a big deal hire... but there are plenty of examples of people getting the chance to step up and crushing. I know many people around the program think he can get it done. Remember he was the one who recruited all the big time guys when we were good. It takes a 3 year cycle generally with recruits. He is back here now working it, so I am looking forward to Gino reeling in some big time talent if he does indeed get the gig.

I remember similar statements of folks alledgely close to the program swearing that Larry Coker and, later, Randy Shannon were ready
to lead UM football.
It was a bad call on Coker, and even worse with regards to Shannon because he was essentially promoted from a failed coaching staff.

I've heard several folks talk about how Gino is a great recruiter.
I fail to see this.
Yeah, he does lock up a bunch of big names during the summer, but most of those big names never set foot on campus after the MLB
draft.

This program has been appallingly weak these last few years.
Just look at how our players have done in these summer baseball leagues of late.
Players have been so poor in comparison to players from around the country.
DiMare is either recruiting garbage and/or not developing them at all.

This program started dropping after they lost Thomas and later Collazo.
Haven't been the same since then.

Total overhaul is needed.

They need to hire someone fresh outside the program. The internal hires have been a disaster for this University. So Blake get to work!

Advertisement

I remember similar statements of folks alledgely close to the program swearing that Larry Coker and, later, Randy Shannon were ready
to lead UM football.
It was a bad call on Coker, and even worse with regards to Shannon because he was essentially promoted from a failed coaching staff.

I fail to see this.
Yeah, he does lock up a bunch of big names during the summer, but most of those big names never set foot on campus after the MLB
draft.

Just look at how our players have done in these summer baseball leagues of late.

Completely unrelated subjects. A I said, I'd prefer a big time established hire, but that doesn't mean I am going to endorse faulty logic.

Advertisement

to lead UM football.

I fail to see this.
draft.

Completely unrelated subjects. A I said, I'd prefer a big time established hire, but that doesn't mean I am going to endorse faulty logic.

^^???????????????^^

Fun with numbers:

Offensively, we have 263 hits on the season and 135 walks, good for a .364 OB%.

Our opponents have 294 hits and 92 walks, for a .337 OB%.

So, naturally, you'd think we would have, if not more, then about the same number of plate appearances. You'd be wrong.

We've had 1009 at bats, about 31.5 a game.
Our opponents have had 1091, or more than 35 a game.

So, why are we averaging 3.5 less at bats a game, despite a higher OB%? Morrisball.

We give away numerous outs every game just with sac bunts, runners picked off or caught stealing, or baserunning blunders.

Take steals for an example, on the year, we have 35 steals on 55 attempts, under a 64% conversion rate, which actually sits at 58% if you factor in the 5 runners we've had picked off...pretty poor if compared to many other teams, but especially so considering the number of attempts. FSU, a more station to station team, is 21 out of 33. UNC meanwhile, who, like us, gets guys running, is 42 out of 53.

So, we don't hit enough to be a true station to station team, and strangely enough, while we appear to have decent speed on the base paths, we struggle to steal bases. If our steals give us, on average, an extra base a game, it also, counting pick-offs, takes away just about an out a game. Add to that the outs taken away by sacrifice bunts, and you have significantly less opportunities to generate runs.

And yes, i'm factoring into this our light hitting team. Understand: 59 of our 263 hits have been of the extra base variety (22.4%, a very poor number), but only 75 of our opponents 294 hits have gone for extra bases (25.5%), so we're not drastically behind in this dead bat era.

I realize that, with a offensively challenged team, the want to make something happen can be understood, but the simple fact appears that, at this point, our small ball appears to actually be suppressing our offense. In summery, while it may not be a failing to think about playing small ball with this team, the failing lies in that we suck at it.

Advertisement
Back