Coach macho

Its not like Randy and Coker didn't do a lot of the same **** Golden did. Ryan Shazier of recent vintage among a bone yard of other missed evaluations and poor recruiting efforts.

Golden didn't just bomb the skill guys or even bomb the South Florida talents, he and the staff just sucked as evaluators...extending the examples...recruiting Danny Dillard, having his teammate come down to visit wanting an offer, only to have Kehoe tell him no thanks remains incredibly funny. Not a SoFla kid obviously, but missing on Forrest Lamp still gets a chuckle out of considering how ****** our OL has been over the years. South Florida OG John Miller was an early starter at Louisville. Considering the number of reaches with ****** offers, the fact that these dudes weren't recruited by anyone important is pretty much a moot point.
As the HC at UM with the overflow of talent within 50 miles of campus its more about evaluation than anything else. That's how Butch David got it done here. He didn't always sign the highest rated guys, but he made the best evaluations of HS talent that would blossom into college stars.

Coker probably recruited higher ranked classes than David, but he didn't have David's eye or gift for evaluation.

Advertisement
I think the biggest difference is that this staff understands the value of speed and athleticism. Our last staff over analyzed recruiting. They thought they were the smartest people in the room. That's why they would sign South Florida kids who had offers from schools like Akron. Like they thought they saw something in the kid that the other 50,853 D1 coaches who recruit down here didn't.

You can kinda see what I'm talking about in that old video of our staff in a meeting room talking about a certain recruit. And I remember one time they asked my head coach about a certain WR from South Florida (who ran a 10.2 100m) that they were looking at, and the Miami coach said that he thought the kid "ran his routes too fast."
It's like they were looking for polished football players instead of raw athletes. Well then WTF is your job then? Aren't you supposed to coach these kids up when they get to your University?

They offered a lot of kids with marginal athleticism and passed up on kids that were local studs. Local kids with offers from Oklahoma, Clemson, TCU, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, etc... Would go unrecruited by Miami but they'd turn around and sign a kid who's best offer is from FIU. So in other words you're pickier than the coaches at top-10 programs? LOL
And then you get mollywhopped by the same teams who recruited these kids.
I'll never forget James Burgess and Skai Moore a$$ raping us when we played UL/USC.

Lmao it's funny how ppl on this site eat up this simple minded bull****.... Golden recruited majority of the same level of sfl talent as all the top schools, he just sucked and players underperformed or impact wasnt as effective bc the UM program undr Golden was woat.

Players who chose to go to other programs saw the difference between a legitimate top football program and the joke that was Golden and Donofrio but most were still offered scholarships and recruited by UM.

Any of the players who went to another school over UM didn't make or break this program. Your boy Isaiah McKenzie, James Burgess, and Skai Moore wouldn't have been any better than the best players on our team at the same position and would've made no difference in the win loss column.

Last edited:
Its not like Randy and Coker didn't do a lot of the same **** Golden did. Ryan Shazier of recent vintage among a bone yard of other missed evaluations and poor recruiting efforts.

Golden didn't just bomb the skill guys or even bomb the South Florida talents, he and the staff just sucked as evaluators...extending the examples...recruiting Danny Dillard, having his teammate come down to visit wanting an offer, only to have Kehoe tell him no thanks remains incredibly funny. Not a SoFla kid obviously, but missing on Forrest Lamp still gets a chuckle out of considering how ****** our OL has been over the years. South Florida OG John Miller was an early starter at Louisville. Considering the number of reaches with ****** offers, the fact that these dudes weren't recruited by anyone important is pretty much a moot point.
As the HC at UM with the overflow of talent within 50 miles of campus its more about evaluation than anything else. That's how Butch David got it done here. He didn't always sign the highest rated guys, but he made the best evaluations of HS talent that would blossom into college stars.

Coker probably recruited higher ranked classes than David, but he didn't have David's eye or gift for evaluation.

Butch landed guys who were underrated and hungry then coached them up. Randy and al landed guys who weren't flying under the radar so much as not that great, then were unable to help them get better.

Golden didn't just bomb the skill guys or even bomb the South Florida talents, he and the staff just sucked as evaluators...extending the examples...recruiting Danny Dillard, having his teammate come down to visit wanting an offer, only to have Kehoe tell him no thanks remains incredibly funny. Not a SoFla kid obviously, but missing on Forrest Lamp still gets a chuckle out of considering how ****ty our OL has been over the years. South Florida OG John Miller was an early starter at Louisville. Considering the number of reaches with ****ty offers, the fact that these dudes weren't recruited by anyone important is pretty much a moot point.
No question about it. Randy's obsession with tall CBs led him to pass on guys like Ricardo Allen and sign the likes of Carlos Armour. He also couldn't be bothered to spend a day at Miami Central, pretty sure 1/2 that team went on to the NFL.

No half that team did not go to the nfl. Those Central squads had like 1 or 2 p5 type prospects. He screwed up not offering Freeman. I mean Freeman showed signs of being explosive as a back up to Gainer at Central. I gave RS a pass for not recruiting Freeman because in 09 he brought in 2 nfl backs, 2010 he brought in 3 4 star backs then he had Duke committed for '12. However as we all know, you don't take a break recruiting. Saban brings in 5 stars annually for example. Anyway those Central squads were good hs players but only a few tore it up. A couple years later they were producing nfl prospects like Dalvin Cook. I also think Telly Lockette; former Central coach now OSU, was beefing too. RS missed some talent but neither him or Coker was as bad as Al. Al was lucky to coach here and have kids who wanted to be canes no matter what. Yet he almost messed that up.
No doubt and "half" was conjecture obviously, but one thing CMR isn't doing regardless, he isn't "turning off" pipeline schools at any point.

Yea Richt is a vereran. Coker and RS were rookies. No one should ever be novice coaching at UM. Butch was a 1st time HC but it took him 6 years. It was only a matter of time before we fell off with 2 consecutive 1st time hcs in an evolving college football landscape. As for Al, I wasn't a fan. He wasn't a good hire.

Coker fell in love with recruiter rankings. He's the one that started concentrating on landing out of state 5 star players instead of steady hauling in the local talent. He still brought in plenty of local guys but missing with guys like Kyle Wright and Lance Leggett set the program back. It seemed like he really couldn't identify and recruit skill position players outside a handful of dudes.

Randy came in and immediately played favorites. With players, with schools, everybody was either a Randy special or in the doghouse. He also burned some bridges with a few powerhouse local programs that we're only starting to rebuild today. I got the impression that Randy liked the actual coaching but hated the rest of the stuff that goes along with being a head coach. I'm sure having the personality of a wet pair of underwear didn't help matters either.

Al came in and immediately went into used car salesman mode. He kissed everyone's *** and told everyone what he thought they wanted to hear. Unfortunately, once his coaching acumen was exposed as fraudulent, his shtick got old and local head coaches started pushing their players in other directions. He doubled down on his own garbage coaching ability and filled a bunch of coaching positions with recruiters who had no business doing any actual football coaching. He was absolutely the wrong guy to coach at UM from every aspect.

I think the biggest difference is that this staff understands the value of speed and athleticism. Our last staff over analyzed recruiting. They thought they were the smartest people in the room. That's why they would sign South Florida kids who had offers from schools like Akron. Like they thought they saw something in the kid that the other 50,853 D1 coaches who recruit down here didn't.

You can kinda see what I'm talking about in that old video of our staff in a meeting room talking about a certain recruit. And I remember one time they asked my head coach about a certain WR from South Florida (who ran a 10.2 100m) that they were looking at, and the Miami coach said that he thought the kid "ran his routes too fast."
It's like they were looking for polished football players instead of raw athletes. Well then WTF is your job then? Aren't you supposed to coach these kids up when they get to your University?

They offered a lot of kids with marginal athleticism and passed up on kids that were local studs. Local kids with offers from Oklahoma, Clemson, TCU, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, etc... Would go unrecruited by Miami but they'd turn around and sign a kid who's best offer is from FIU. So in other words you're pickier than the coaches at top-10 programs? LOL
I'll never forget James Burgess and Skai Moore a$$ raping us when we played UL/USC.

Lmao it's funny how ppl on this site eat up this simple minded bull****.... Golden recruited majority of the same level of sfl talent as all the top schools, he just sucked and players underperformed or impact wasnt as effective bc the UM program undr Golden was woat.

Players who chose to go to other programs saw the difference between a legitimate top football program and the joke that was Golden and Donofrio but most were still offered scholarships and recruited by UM.

Any of the players who went to another school over UM didn't make or break this program. Your boy Isaiah McKenzie, James Burgess, and Skai Moore wouldn't have been any better than the best players on our team at the same position and would've made no difference in the win loss column.

2 different concepts. they failed to recruit the right guys and even if they had recruited the right guys they still would not have exploited their talents.

Advertisement
And ALL this leads back to a 5 foot troll that is the actual reason that this program went into the *******.

If we would have had. anyone in place worth a **** as president or AD we never fall to where we were cause they would have realized that the football program not the hospital is what put Miami on the map.

So we can blame Coker,shantard and Al but in the end it all leads back to that 5 ft troll.

The entire philosophy of the previous staff from recruiting, to defensive scheme to game day decisions is/was best suited for an "overachiever" type of program. There are certain places where you're never going to get top level talent so you have to scheme in a way to help overcome that. Running an over-complicated defense that requires kids to know 35 different assignments on every play. Playing the bend but don't break style that gives up tons of yards but is designed to make the opponent use up a lot of clock, thus keeping scores close. Milking the clock offensively even if it's only the third quarter and you've only got a single digit lead. Settling for field goals instead of going for the knockout shot. Punishing players for "freelancing" and rewarding playing time to lesser players who "bought in" even if they should never have been on the field. That's the kind of stuff you do when you coach a crappy MAC team and you're trying to pull off an upset every week. It's the EXACT opposite of what you should be doing at Miami where, if you recruit decently, you'll almost always be more talented than your opponent every week.

I hate using the term "dog" because it gets overused almost as much as "savage" here but it's like Al and staff were purposely trying to take the "dog" out of players instead of letting them play to their natural strengths.

Savage post, dog

Bro...

What is with this man crush you have on me? I could have said the sky is blue and you would come in here and argue with it. Get off my d!ck.

Advertisement
Why so much talk on the past coaching staff and recruiting? Let's just focus on the present team and coaching staff. Diaz, Kool, Rumph, Banda and company have made the difference in the defensive unit's ability to play aggressive, fast, and smart. The jury is still out on the offensive unit. We have a favorable schedule and a lot of experience returning for a 10+ win season. We have VT GT and ND home; therefore, encourage family, friends, and businesses to sell out all home games. NC FSU and Duke on the road will be challenging, but can win all. Yes, including FSU! We match up well with FSU ND NC and VT with the right QB running the show! A mobile QB has caused problems for FSU and VT when you spread them out with 3 WRs, TE, and Receiving RB. Just my thoughts!

The audacity to bring up a temple safety as a example while coaching at the University of Miami.

That was funny. They were comparing the recruit to the best safety they coached at Temple. While Hurlie was thinking that guy never would have sniffed the field on teams he played on.

You could see the disconnect on that staff.

Hurlie wanted to see athleticism. He talked about wanting to see the kid come downhill and strike, be explosive.
D'Onofrio's logic was, he may not be that fast/explosive but you know what he's good at, playing the position of Safety. And while I understand that logic, that's not how successful D1 programs recruit. Just cause a kid is good at Safety in high school doesn't mean he has the physical tools to be a good Safety in major D1 football. Sean Taylor was a **** Running Back.

That's a great example. "Sean Tayler was a **** running back."

So D'Onofrio could've potentially past up one of the greatest to ever lace em up to nab some kid with stellar fundamentals with offers from U of Delaware and Buffalo. Let it sink in...

Not necessarily. They still might have recruited him thinking he needs to add 20-30 lbs and play lb. But they would have thought Buck Ortega to be the better prospect due to some similarity to some former hard nosed Temple player they recruited from Piscataway.

I remember watching a Gulliver/Pace playoff game Sean Taylor's senior year. ST played 'EVERYWHERE'

That was funny. They were comparing the recruit to the best safety they coached at Temple. While Hurlie was thinking that guy never would have sniffed the field on teams he played on.

You could see the disconnect on that staff.

Hurlie wanted to see athleticism. He talked about wanting to see the kid come downhill and strike, be explosive.
D'Onofrio's logic was, he may not be that fast/explosive but you know what he's good at, playing the position of Safety. And while I understand that logic, that's not how successful D1 programs recruit. Just cause a kid is good at Safety in high school doesn't mean he has the physical tools to be a good Safety in major D1 football. Sean Taylor was a **** Running Back.

That's a great example. "Sean Tayler was a **** running back."

So D'Onofrio could've potentially past up one of the greatest to ever lace em up to nab some kid with stellar fundamentals with offers from U of Delaware and Buffalo. Let it sink in...

Not necessarily. They still might have recruited him thinking he needs to add 20-30 lbs and play lb. But they would have thought Buck Ortega to be the better prospect due to some similarity to some former hard nosed Temple player they recruited from Piscataway.

I remember watching a Gulliver/Pace playoff game Sean Taylor's senior year. ST played 'EVERYWHERE'

True, he was a football player and would have succeeded at multiple spots as a defensive or offensive playmaker.

Advertisement
Back