Coach L

hotshot

Sophomore
Last year with all the FBI stuff must've been a nightmare for Coach (as it would've been for any human being); this season is also high stress (we might well only win another couple games). Next year looks rough too.

When this season ends, Coach will be 6 months from his 70th birthday. His legacy as a great hoops coach is secured.

Anyone here see any possibility that this combo of age, health and high stress could lead him to make a Mark Richt-type decision and just say "enough." ??

Advertisement
After this I can see hip stepping down, I’m sure these two years definitely will affect him to hand over the reigns to Coputo.

Depends on how this year ends. I expect us to lose 90% of our ACC games this year. Coach L is a competitor though so he's going to try and win every one anyway. How that wears on him this year will tell him if he can stand another lap.

I see Coach L learning a lesson that he should not hold scholarships and I think he will continue to coach after he adds 4 to 5 more players so he can have a full roster next season.
All of the games are competitive and he is not getting outcoached in any games. Correctable errors like missed free throws and turnovers have been the main factors in our losses.
The only thing Coach L needs is a full deck as his hand is short a few cards this season. If he is willing to make that change then he will continue to have success.
Just my opinion.

I see Coach L learning a lesson that he should not hold scholarships and I think he will continue to coach after he adds 4 to 5 more players so he can have a full roster next season.
All of the games are competitive and he is not getting outcoached in any games. Correctable errors like missed free throws and turnovers have been the main factors in our losses.
The only thing Coach L needs is a full deck as his hand is short a few cards this season. If he is willing to make that change then he will continue to have success.
Just my opinion.
LuckyOne, I hope you are right!

Army, don't think Caputo would be the successor if/when L were to step down. Just a strong feeling.

Advertisement
FBI destroyed the momentum he was building for this program. I'm sure he's devastated and I definitely know it has made him think about retiring sooner than he initially wanted to.

Advertisement
He did seem more upbeat this season, which I was glad to see (you could defintely see the toll the FBI thing had taken, written on his face, last year). Then, this happens!

Might be time for him to follow Rick into retirement. Nothing but love for the guy, but I think Miami needs to take the next step and get an elite coach.

We aren't getting any elite coach.... we lucked in on our current C. We will end up hiring some asst from Temple or such

Advertisement
We aren't getting any elite coach.... we lucked in on our current C. We will end up hiring some asst from Temple or such
Can't be sure of that. Mark Few, Greg Marshall, and Brad Stevens were hardly "elite" names when they were hired. Jay Wright with his Villanova NCs was the head man at Hofstra, Jim Calhoun at Northeastern, etc.

Might be time for him to follow Rick into retirement. Nothing but love for the guy, but I think Miami needs to take the next step and get an elite coach.

Morris, Rick, Larranaga...it's time

Advertisement
Did any word ever leak out about WHY Miles Wilson either left, or was booted from, the program?

What I found interesting with both Muhammad and Wilson was the timing of their departures, essentially after they and UM had "wasted" a year sitting them out to become eligible. You'd have thought "issues" would have arisen much earlier.

I love coach l but it does seem these roster mgmt. issues are somewhat the result of shortsightedness

Roster management? He got hosed with the bogus FBI investigation. That doesn't happen plus the Dewan crap there is no issue. Caputo is considered to be a top assistant coach btw.

A lot of players were leaving well before the FBI matter. It's one thing for a Duke to suffer some losses but ... we needed LeComte, Palmer, etc.

Advertisement
Back