Coach L responds to his critics with a video

Advertisement

Coach L is an elite coach when he has 5th and 6th year seniors on his roster who have been on the team for multiple years.
Unfortunately, it's not possible to have a team that experienced every year.
Those type of teams only come once every 4 or 5 years.
2013, 2016 and 2022.

Coach L is an elite coach when he has 5th and 6th year seniors on his roster who have been on the team for multiple years.
2013, 2016 and 2022.

Where have you been? You went from the most frequent poster on the board to not at all.

Advertisement

2013, 2016 and 2022.

He's also pretty good when half his team isn't injured and he doesn't have to play an endless 24/7 game against the United States Federal Bureau of Investigations.

Coach K on Miami’s turnaround with Jim Larranaga who critics on Twitter wanted to fire him…

“I’m not big on critics on Twitter, sounds like a comedy show on HBO because you don’t have to back up any statements or you don’t have to have an expertise on what you give an opinion on. I would rather, to be quite, listen to all of you (in the media) who watch the sport, in a press conference before or after today and any comments you might have because you watch the game.

“Jim is one of the outstanding coaches in the history of our game. He’s one of the winningest coaches and he’s done a great job at Miami. Last year no team that I can remember has been devastated with injuries as much as his team was last year. And for him to keep those kids coming back, especially in (Isaiah) Wong and (Kameron) McGusty and (Sam) Waardenburg, it shows that those kids trust him and believe in him. He’s been able to complement them in two outstanding transfers in (Charlie) Moore and (Jordan) Miller.

“They have a veteran team. All of them can shoot and they share the ball. They’re very difficult to defend. Jim’s always done that. As long as Jim wants to coach it would be smart to keep him there. **** he might win the league. It’s going to be an NCAA Tournament team and it will be a tough out whoever ends up playing them. They have one of the better teams.”

:)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coach L's performance in previous 3 seasons needed to be criticized.... it was pathetic. He has turned it around. Thrilled that he did it. That doesn't mean he didn't deserve it.
I think his 2018 performance was fine. That team was completely ambushed by the FBI. No Dewan and no Saddiq Bey (who has admitted he was coming here prior to the FBI news), but the team hung in a lot of games, even vs. good teams. That's probably a tournament team if Dewan is available.

His last 2 years are a little less excusable, as he could've brought in more transfers and filled the roster, although obviously the injuries last year were a major story. He mishandled Matt Cross, or so it seems from the outside-in, but all of the bad injury luck meant his margin of error was slim. (I also find it funny the way we talk about Cross, like he's Jordan or Lebron lol he's averaging 3.7 rebounds and shooting 32% from 3 for a Lville team that is worse than us. He wouldn't start here.) L had to pitch a perfect game with last year's team, and he didn't.

So yes, it's fair to criticize him, as it is any coach. But there's a difference between "criticizing" vs. relentlessly calling for someone's head and shouting down those who are more patient, which is what typically happens on these boards.

I think his 2018 performance was fine. That team was completely ambushed by the FBI. No Dewan and no Saddiq Bey (who has admitted he was coming here prior to the FBI news), but the team hung in a lot of games, even vs. good teams. That's probably a tournament team if Dewan is available.

His last 2 years are a little less excusable, as he could've brought in more transfers and filled the roster, although obviously the injuries last year were a major story. He mishandled Matt Cross, or so it seems from the outside-in, but all of the bad injury luck meant his margin of error was slim. (I also find it funny the way we talk about Cross, like he's Jordan or Lebron lol he's averaging 3.7 rebounds and shooting 32% from 3 for a Lville team that is worse than us. He wouldn't start here.) L had to pitch a perfect game with last year's team, and he didn't.

So yes, it's fair to criticize him, as it is any coach. But there's a difference between "criticizing" vs. relentlessly calling for someone's head and shouting down those who are more patient, which is what typically happens on these boards.
It's important to understand the timeline of the FBI mess and yes Bey and Jalen Carey had both silently committed and were in the hunt for other top guys just before the ****estorm hit. Stupidly Hernandez did have interactions with an agent.

Here's my writeup to refresh memories

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back