Coach L only coach with winning record vs Coach K and Williams

MiamiJoe

Sophomore
It’s amazing with the talent we have had compared to Carolina and Duke that he is 6-5 vs Coach K and 7-6 vs Roy Williams. That says a lot about his coaching and how lucky we are to have him

Advertisement
Every time I read criticism of Larranaga I cringe. What this man has done as a player, and as a coach is phenomenal. What he has done at Miami should be enough to earn his name on the building. We suffered through Haith who was a dirty **** coach. Larranaga came in cleaned it up, won the ACC regular season and tourney title, and has had twenty win seasons in every year but one since he has been here. During those years, the ACC has been loaded every year. This year especially, with Brown going down, he has 21 wins. Think about that - 21 wins. That is outstanding. Win or lose tomorrow, this was a highly successful regular season.

Every time I read criticism of Larranaga I cringe. What this man has done as a player, and as a coach is phenomenal. What he has done at Miami should be enough to earn his name on the building. We suffered through Haith who was a dirty **** coach. Larranaga came in cleaned it up, won the ACC regular season and tourney title, and has had twenty win seasons in every year but one since he has been here. During those years, the ACC has been loaded every year. This year especially, with Brown going down, he has 21 wins. Think about that - 21 wins. That is outstanding. Win or lose tomorrow, this was a highly successful regular season.
The one year we didnt win 20 might have been his best coaching job finishing over .500 with minimal talent on the team.

Advertisement
Like the Radio and Folden "Bitterenders", there are people who still want Perry Clarke or Haith back! (Remember "Bomb"? He was not alone)

I admit I have blamed him for things not his doing. (Like our sickening NCAA Tourney record). He has had what, ONE legit NBA player in his tenure here (Larkin)? A lot of programs, incvluding ACC teams he has a winning record against, have more NBA players in one year than we have had in Canes history. (we have like 3 or 4 total, right? Rick Barry, Rice for a short stint, Larkin, and -----)

A lot of programs, incvluding ACC teams he has a winning record against, have more NBA players in one year than we have had in Canes history. (we have like 3 or 4 total, right? Rick Barry, Rice for a short stint, Larkin, and -----)

Don't forget about John Salmons and the guy who led* his team to 7 straight NBA Finals appearances - James Jones

Advertisement
I wouldn't trade him for any coach in the NCAA and that is the Bottom Line
You wouldn't take Coach K over him? I would. He would undoubtedly bring us our best recruiting class ever the first year. And that's saying something considering our '17 haul.

Advertisement

Yep... with the cloud and all ...

Coach L is the right man for what the hoops team needed at the time of the hire. Next hire should be a young gun that can get the people excited.

Advertisement
Coach L is the right man for what the hoops team needed at the time of the hire. Next hire should be a young gun that can get the people excited.
It's not about age or experience. I'm sick of the idea that a "young and hungry" coach suddenly equates to success. If you consider the teams in the Sweet 16 at the moment:

Coach K
Boeheim
Calipari
Porter Moser (has be a HC for almost 15 years at various schools)
Bruce Weber (assuming KSU wins)
Mick Cronin (assuming Cincy wins)
Mark Few
Leonard or Chris Mack (depending on who wins)
John Beilein
Billy Kennedy (assuming A&M wins)
Bill Self
Brad Brownell or Bruce Pearl

The "youngest" coach on this list is Cronin at age 46, and he has been a HC for 15 years. You need experience in this game to take a team through the tourney. Not saying Coach L is right guy for the job, but hiring a first time HC in Haith sure worked out for us, right?

As an aside, if TAMU holds up, I say Roy Williams doesn't do well without John Swofford's refs.

Imagine if the ACC had a Mike Slive-type who rode the hot teams as opposed to a UNC homer commisioner who make sure that even their tourney logo reflected his Tobacco Road bias:

acc logo.png

It's not about age or experience. I'm sick of the idea that a "young and hungry" coach suddenly equates to success. If you consider the teams in the Sweet 16 at the moment:

Coach K
Boeheim
Calipari
Porter Moser (has be a HC for almost 15 years at various schools)
Bruce Weber (assuming KSU wins)
Mick Cronin (assuming Cincy wins)
Mark Few
Leonard or Chris Mack (depending on who wins)
John Beilein
Billy Kennedy (assuming A&M wins)
Bill Self
Brad Brownell or Bruce Pearl

The "youngest" coach on this list is Cronin at age 46, and he has been a HC for 15 years. You need experience in this game to take a team through the tourney. Not saying Coach L is right guy for the job, but hiring a first time HC in Haith sure worked out for us, right?

You want a guy that will be there for a while. You want a guy that you can take they journey with. When you got coach L you got a guy already on the down swing age wise. Unless you just want to be going through coaching searches every few years you should get yourself a young lion to take the reigns.

You want a guy that will be there for a while. You want a guy that you can take they journey with. When you got coach L you got a guy already on the down swing age wise. Unless you just want to be going through coaching searches every few years you should get yourself a young lion to take the reigns.

Get the best coach you can get, age be damned. L was a godsend for this program, I don't give a **** if he was in his mid sixties when he took over, he was still by far the best available coach Miami could have gotten. Guys like Randy Bennett weren't interested at the time, and Shaka Smart was holding out for a job like Texas. Thank God that the people on this board aren't making decisions for the University, otherwise we'd probably be suffering through another Haith type hire, just because he's young and looks good in a suit.

Advertisement
Back