Coach Ish article

Midlo Cane Fan

No more Midlo

Cliff Notes:

UM’s Aristide is back in his home city from the Aggies’ College Station, where he served for two years as a defensive analyst for Jimbo Fisher’s program that beat North Carolina in the Orange Bowl and finished the 2020 season with its lone loss to eventual national champion Alabama — the same team the Hurricanes will face Sept. 4 at Mercedes-Benz stadium in Atlanta to open 2021.

“When you work at Northwestern and you see [Alabama coach] Nick Saban pull up to campus, it’s always a treat,’’ the dad said, chuckling. “But UM is coming. UM is knocking on the door. The Canes will be ready.

“And, of course, I’ll be there.’’

Although this is Ish’s first coaching job, his strength, for now, is believed to be his recruiting ability, refined at A&M, where he exclusively was in charge of Miami and the South Florida area. He grew up watching his father deal with teenagers as both a school administrator and high school coach, tagging along wherever dad went, whether that be the living room of a concerned parent or the sidelines at practice.

“This is what Ish was born into,’’ said Wallace, who lives in Biscayne Gardens.

Ish was the main recruiter of Aggies’ defensive end Donell Harris, an Army All-American and four-star prospect from Miami Gulliver Prep’s Class of 2020. He also recruited running back Amari Daniels, another 2020 four-star from Miami Central, as well as Central wideout Yulkeith Brown.

He now will also be able to work the Orlando area as well, as his ties there are also deep.

Ish said his family connection — his Uncle William, Wallace’s brother, is the former Booker T. Washington principal — will help his “credibility” in being “a South Florida guy,’’’ as well as someone who knows Orlando. “I’m going to know somebody that knows somebody that knows somebody. Somebody’s aunty, uncle, sister, cousin, I know from somewhere— trust me.’’

Wallace described his son as extremely competitive and focused. “He’s going to be a very intense coach,’’ the principal said. “He wants to do well and he’s going to be good for student-athletes because he’ll push them academically. ‘You’ve got to get to class,’ he’ll tell them. “He’s animated. And he’ll motivate them to get their UM degrees.”

Ish will help groom the UM strikers, the linebacker/safety hybrid position that UM added to its defensive scheme during coach Manny Diaz’s tenure. Former strikers coach Jonathan Patke will now be coaching the inside linebackers in addition to his special teams role.

“Believe me,’’ Wallace said, “when Ish inspires the strikers, they will strike.’’

Advertisement
Advertisement
Excited about this hire. The older I grow, the more my confirmation biases seem to focus on experience as a key indicator of success. But the reality is, experience is the one thing that for sure comes with time, and it's the other traits that we need to identify and foster above all else.

This guy seems to have a lot going for him, and I hope he can coach half as well as he seems to sell himself. I suspect he'll do well given the talent at striker he's walking into, will be interesting to see if he can bring the Smith's along while continuing the development with Frierson.

Can't stop won't stop
Never stop
Cant Stop Dave Chappelle GIF

Advertisement
Excited about this hire. The older I grow, the more my confirmation biases seem to focus on experience as a key indicator of success. But the reality is, experience is the one thing that for sure comes with time, and it's the other traits that we need to identify and foster above all else.

This guy seems to have a lot going for him, and I hope he can coach half as well as he seems to sell himself. I suspect he'll do well given the talent at striker he's walking into, will be interesting to see if he can bring the Smith's along while continuing the development with Frierson.
Selling yourself is what recruiting is all about

Advertisement
Back