Coach firing thread

Advertisement
He actually did a good job at identifying talent but developing that was a different story.
I disagree. He was mediocre at identifying talent, and in fact just relied on his assistants, some of whom were better than others.

No coach who gives scholarships to Larry Hope, V. Davis, D’Mauri Jones, Jontavious Carter, Danny Dillard, Nate Dortch, and Jake O’Donell ... after watching them in camp can be called a good talent identifier. And that was just his first class.

I disagree. He was mediocre at identifying talent, and in fact just relied on his assistants, some of whom were better than others.

No coach who gives scholarships to Larry Hope, V. Davis, D’Mauri Jones, Jontavious Carter, Danny Dillard, Nate Dortch, and Jake O’Donell ... after watching them in camp can be called a good talent identifier. And that was just his first class.

Golden stated multiple times that he believed it was important to not only recruit players with star qualities but to bring in players that were gonna stick around and develop into role players. Those guys u mentioned were probably never thought to be starters, well I do remember Carter having some tools but other than that they were all EE’s who had good attitudes. Long story short I don’t think Golden misevaluated them I think it was a philosophical issue where he thought it was necessary to have players like that on the roster. Golden would be a solid hire for a place like UCONN etc.

Golden stated multiple times that he believed it was important to not only recruit players with star qualities but to bring in players that were gonna stick around and develop into role players. Those guys u mentioned were probably never thought to be starters, well I do remember Carter having some tools but other than that they were all EE’s who had good attitudes. Long story short I don’t think Golden misevaluated them I think it was a philosophical issue where he thought it was necessary to have players like that on the roster. Golden would be a solid hire for a place like UCONN etc.
Your argument doesn’t hold up, imo. those guys were useless. Vernon davis didnt stick around. Iirc he quit before his first season started. Hope was a wasted spot and left. Dillard was a wasted spot and if golden thought he was a roster and attitude guy, he wasn’t paying attention at all, because the guys who know florida hs football called his commitment out as inexplicable in part for that reason. And he left early. Jones and carter were bad evals on ability. Iirc Carter left early and never contributed. Maybe o’donnell was the guy who was recruited to be a backup. Whatever. Bad use of scholarships and bad assessments of kids.

Last edited:
More than 1 decision. Obviously you mean firing Dorito, but that D philosophy was just as much Folden's as it was Dorito's. He would have had to fire Dorito and make the decision to give up on his D philosophy and bring in a guy with an attacking scheme and let him have full control of the D. Even then he would have only been moderately successful
Major Applewhite should never get another job for hiring D'Onofrio after what happened at Miami.

Advertisement
Your argument doesn’t hold up, imo. those guys were useless. Vernon davis didnt stick around. Iirc he quit before his first season started. Hope was wasted and left. Dillard was a wasted spot and if golden thought he was a roster and attitude guy, he wasn’t paying attention at all, because the guys who know florida hs football called his commitment out as inexplicable in part for that reason. And he left early. Jones and carter were bad evals on ability. Iirc Carter left early and never contributed. Maybe o’donnell was the guy who was recruited to be a backup. Whatever. Bad use of scholarships and bad assessments of kids.
I’ll agree that they were bad usage of scholarships but I think Golden had a pretty good eye for what he was looking for, obviously didn’t bat 100%

Im no expert but this is my take on our last 3 coaches.
Golden was no Jimmy Johnson but his offense was decent and good enough to compete in the coastal, the defense on the other hand was atrocious and he refuse to fire Doritos. That was the main reason he was fired
Richt on the other hand was burnout and he didn’t want to hire a competent offensive coordinator. that is probably why he resign.
Diaz is too soon to find out what he will be. The last fwo games have been a huge improvement, but I will wait until the end of the season to pass judgement because of Notre Dame and Virginia Tech in 2017. As bad as we look this season, we were a kicker away from being a 9-1 team.

I’ll agree that they were bad usage of scholarships but I think Golden had a pretty good eye for what he was looking for, obviously didn’t bat 100%
It’s just not true. He had at best an average eye. He missed big time on too many kids. Brendan Loftus? The FL HS football typs were loud and adamant that he wasn't even a D1 recruit. Fines? Mahoney? Milo? Jahair Jones? Jerome Washington? Gray Crow?

Also, Gluten took too many kids who didn’t get in or couldn’t stay in. There is no evidence that he was above average at evals.

Im no expert but this is my take on our last 3 coaches.
Golden was no Jimmy Johnson but his offense was decent and good enough to compete in the coastal, the defense on the other hand was atrocious and he refuse to fire Doritos. That was the main reason he was fired
Richt on the other hand was burnout and he didn’t want to hire a competent offensive coordinator. that is probably why he resign.
Diaz is too soon to find out what he will be. The last fwo games have been a huge improvement, but I will wait until the end of the season to pass judgement because of Notre Dame and Virginia Tech in 2017. As bad as we look this season, we were a kicker away from being a 9-1 team.
I dont get why people blame only Dorito when it is clear that was Golden’s D they were running.

Advertisement
was he running Golden’s defense in Houston as well?
You are really bad at logic if that is your retort. Go relearn ven diagrams or something. I am not defending dorito. Some folks are trying to excuse golden for responsibility for a D he picked.

Advertisement
Come on man. You don’t offer a kid to be a role player. You offer talented kids if they show potential to be a star. Jason Geathers wasn’t offered to be no utility man/role player. He was brought in to be a stud but Gote, Portis, McGahee, & Payton kept him off the field. Competition determines the role players. They aren’t predetermined. Dude was terrible at identifying talent.

Golden will show up with his tired binder and pillar rehearsed speech. The Lions' LBs probably know it by heart.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back