Coach Don Soldinger spoke to the team......

Advertisement
He is an ornery fellow that loves the U but his time has passed. He was fired as a scapegoat but also because he was a very difficult person to deal with. And, if you talk to some around the team back in the day, they'll tell you what he brought to the table has been overstated.

Plus, he was admittedly not a big fan of recruiter.

He is an ornery fellow that loves the U but his time has passed. He was fired as a scapegoat but also because he was a very difficult person to deal with. And, if you talk to some around the team back in the day, they'll tell you what he brought to the table has been overstated.

my buddy who played back then said he loved greg mark the best. said soldinger and shannon had the reputation for not being "players coaches" they werent very personal and a bit cut off. my friend also said randy shannon couldnt recruit, he hated it so he would just offer a whole team like he did with 2008 northwestern.

Don is a no bull**** kind of guy. He's not going to be your bestfriend, he will chew you up but he's gonna coach your *** up to Miami standards. I like tough coaches like that.

Sorry if he's not a players coach but he comes to work, he doesn't babysit people. Chewed out Jamal Carter's *** a few times in high school too. Carter has god given talent and athleticism but he needs to get it together. (Carter has nowhere even lived up to the type of player he "can" be and Don will say that flat out in his face.)

I doubt Edge, Jackson, Najeh, Clinton, McGahee, Gore, etc. were *****ing about Soldy after collecting paychecks in the NFL.

They were all very talented but Don taught those guys a lot.

Maybe not as a national recruiter but Soldy is well respected in South Florida.

Last edited:
I think everyone is correct here. Soldinger's RB coaching resume is above reproach IMO. If Im not mistaken, Edgerrin James won an NFL award, don't remember which, but he gave his trophy to coach Soldinger. K9 knows this story. Hopefully he'll visit this thread and clarify.

That said, Solie is old school beyond the point of old school. ****, even Bobby Knight looks at coach Soldinger and says, "**** that dude is old skool." :)

Advertisement
I remember him on the U 30 for 30 and he is so legit. This dude is a winner and knows what it takes, why he isn't on this staff I have no idea.

Probably because he is a winner and knows what it takes. JMO

Sad, but true I answered my own **** question.

Clearly no one on the staff knows anything about winning.

Hurlie Brown was apart and played on a championship team... Coach Ice Harris has won 3 State titles at BTW..... and Coach Kehoe was the OL coach on all 5 championship teams we had... smh...knw your coaches

No, he wasn't. I wish people would stop giving him credit for other people's work.

I give Don a lot of credit with Najeh development as well.

Lot of people here forget or probably were not even around or even watching BUT..... Najeh was a FREAK before he tore his ACL. He was never the same but that dude was a nightmare. 6'1"-6'2" 230s running 4.4 and sub 4.4s.

We would have never seen Portis, McGahee or Gore until about another year or two of when they came on to the field in their careers if it were not for Najeh injury.

The way Najeh transitioned into a great fullback after that career altering injury was incredible. I give Don a lot of credit there.

And please. Save the comparison of Ice to Soldinger.

Soldinger won titles in high school as well and is already proven. ICE still has a long way to go to reach what Soldy has done.

No disrespect to ICE as I love him as a coach but it's waaaay too early to compare him to Don.

Don is a no bull**** kind of guy. He's not going to be your bestfriend, he will chew you up but he's gonna coach your *** up to Miami standards. I like tough coaches like that.

Sorry if he's not a players coach but he comes to work, he doesn't babysit people. Chewed out Jamal Carter's *** a few times in high school too. Carter has god given talent and athleticism but he needs to get it together. (Carter has nowhere even lived up to the type of player he "can" be and Don will say that flat out in his face.)

I doubt Edge, Jackson, Najeh, Clinton, McGahee, Gore, etc. were *****ing about Soldy after collecting paychecks in the NFL.

is it jamal or the scheme? seriously. on tape he looked unreal in hs. he is not a passive kid

Advertisement

is it jamal or the scheme? seriously. on tape he looked unreal in hs. he is not a passive kid

Aggressive kid but he needs to stick his nose into learning his assignments, plays and improve his tackling form. He has all the makings to be a star player here but the most important thing is improving his tackling, tries to go for the big hit or flashy play too much and lazy arm tackle too much. As long as he corrects that I am positive the kid will leave a great player here.

Physically and athletically he is all there. Aggressive and nasty but they key for him is to improve his tackling and continue to learn.

Carter is the type of kid who would have benefited a lot from getting a redshirt, his freshman year was a waste and this was first year of really getting his feet wet. I do actually expect him to make a jump in his play next year, expect him to be starting opposite Deon.

Last edited:
I remember him on the U 30 for 30 and he is so legit. This dude is a winner and knows what it takes, why he isn't on this staff I have no idea.

Don't say that. Kehoe has a slew of rings, including for the legendary 2001 team. I was never a big fan of Art, questioned his recruiting prowess, heard that he got lazy when he was fired by Coker (or was it Pete pulling the strings?) wasn't sure I liked the idea that AG succumbed to fan pressure to rehire him, but I don't think the OL was a weakness this year and I have to admit--grudgingly--that he knows something about winning.

Hurlie Brown was apart and played on a championship team... Coach Ice Harris has won 3 State titles at BTW..... and Coach Kehoe was the OL coach on all 5 championship teams we had... smh...knw your coaches

No, he wasn't. I wish people would stop giving him credit for other people's work.

No, he wasn't. He served as an assistant to Tony Wise and then Gregg Smith when we won I think three titles. So, he was an assistant OL coach, as I recall. He can take full credit for the success of our illustrious 2001 OL, one of the best in history, at least our history.

So, if he worked on the staff for four NC's, he must know something about winning. Doesn't mean he was responsible for the success of the 1987, '89 and '91 OLs, but he was there, so he must "know something about winning." He can take full credit for 2001.

Actually, I just checked his bio in the media guide, and he was on staff for all five NCs, but since there is so much hate here, and the automatic assumption that the work of the other coaches under whom he worked (Christ Vagotis, Tony Wise, and Gregg Smith) was solely responsible for the success of those offensive lines, we must assume that three head coaches who won NCs (Schnellenberger, Johnson, and Erickson) were content to have Kehoe stand and watch, and that he therefore did nothing, and had nothing to do with the OLs on those teams. We must assume, given the hatred of the poster who admonished us that Kehoe cannot have any credit for any success of the '83, '87, '89 and '91 teams, and the other teams who won a lot in other years, that Kehoe must have been a paid potted plant who did nothing, and the head coaches and ADs were content to pay a mannequin (or potted plant) a salary to do nothing. Even if he did nothing productive in helping to coach those lines, he still might have learned something about winning just from standing around and watching. Dontcha think?

Last edited:

Aggressive kid but he needs to stick his nose into learning his assignments, plays and improve his tackling form. He has all the makings to be a star player here but the most important thing is improving his tackling, tries to go for the big hit or flashy play too much and lazy arm tackle too much. As long as he corrects that I am positive the kid will leave a great player here.

Physically and athletically he is all there. Aggressive and nasty but they key for him is to improve his tackling and continue to learn.

Carter is the type of kid who would have benefited a lot from getting a redshirt, his freshman year was a waste and this was first year of really getting his feet wet. I do actually expect him to make a jump in his play next year, expect him to be starting opposite Deon.

With Carter I think the biggest thing he is missing is just plain ol Confidence...He's almost always in the right spot but ends up half way/ second guessing every tackle and play on the ball.

Advertisement

Scapegoat? Maybe, maybe not. A friend who had some good connections to the program told me back at the time that Kehoe got lazy at recruiting and I began to learn that several of the guys who were let go were running some businesses on the side. I heard it about three guys who were let go. Two were involved in real estate, supposedly, and another had a Montessori school. If this is true, and is frowned on, i can see how they might end up getting pushed out.

Sadly. Don is not here because Coker decided to Can him to save his own job and used him as a scapegoat.

Don is beyond proven as a RB and special teams coach. You bring Don back, all he has to do is show his resume and kids would kick down the door to play RB at Miami.

Don made it a necessity to teach his RBs good pass protection!

Don would have all of our RB's and Special teams playing top notch.

Sadly, Golden didn't hire Don when he had the chance TWICE.

Do you know whether Soldy was interested? I sort of got the impression somewhere that he was kind of winding down and looking toward retirement. What is he doing now?

With Carter I think the biggest thing he is missing is just plain ol Confidence...He's almost always in the right spot but ends up half way/ second guessing every tackle and play on the ball.

Forgot to mention this as well. He is always in position. Which is why I mentioned he needs to improve his tackling form. He has all the ability to be a good one.... I just think he would have been better off getting a redshirt his freshman year. He is one of those types where he needs that year to two years to put it all together. Not every single kid is a day one ready to go player and that's a big issue I have with Golden wasting away crucial first year redshirting towards the development of young players.

Advertisement
Sadly. Don is not here because Coker decided to Can him to save his own job and used him as a scapegoat.

Don is beyond proven as a RB and special teams coach. You bring Don back, all he has to do is show his resume and kids would kick down the door to play RB at Miami.

Don made it a necessity to teach his RBs good pass protection!

Don would have all of our RB's and Special teams playing top notch.

Sadly, Golden didn't hire Don when he had the chance TWICE.

Do you know whether Soldy was interested? I sort of got the impression somewhere that he was kind of winding down and looking toward retirement. What is he doing now?

Right now he's coaching at The Ridge last I remember. Soldy would come back to the U any given day. He is getting up there in age though...

No, he wasn't. He served as an assistant to Tony Wise and then Gregg Smith when we won I think three titles. So, he was an assistant OL coach, as I recall. He can take full credit for the success of our illustrious 2001 OL, one of the best in history, at least our history.

So, if he worked on the staff for four NC's, he must know something about winning. Doesn't mean he was responsible for the success of the 1987, '89 and '91 OLs, but he was there, so he must "know something about winning." He can take full credit for 2001.

Actually, I just checked his bio in the media guide, and he was on staff for all five NCs, but since there is so much hate here, and the automatic assumption that the work of the other coaches under whom he worked (Christ Vagotis, Tony Wise, and Gregg Smith) was solely responsible for the success of those offensive lines, we must assume that three head coaches who won NCs (Schnellenberger, Johnson, and Erickson) were content to have Kehoe stand and watch, and that he therefore did nothing, and had nothing to do with the OLs on those teams. We must assume, given the hatred of the poster who admonished us that Kehoe cannot have any credit for any success of the '83, '87, '89 and '91 teams, and the other teams who won a lot in other years, that Kehoe must have been a paid potted plant who did nothing, and the head coaches and ADs were content to pay a mannequin (or potted plant) a salary to do nothing. Even if he did nothing productive in helping to coach those lines, he still might have learned something about winning just from standing around and watching. Dontcha think?

There is a huge difference from the bolded part of the other posters comment and what you posted. I took exception to the comment that he was the OL coach for all 5 rings. There is no "automatic assumption" that the OL coaches were solely responsible for the success of the OLs. However, the previous poster didn't even mention who the OL coaches were - and probably didn't know. The rest of your post is ridiculous. I never expressed any hate for Kehoe, unless thinking the OL coaches should get some recognition is somehow hating Kehoe. By failing to mention Vagotis, Wise, or Smith, he implied the credit was Kehoe's alone. We both know that's not true. Kehoe being a part of the staff through all of UM's championships was not the issue. It was the cutting out of guys who had the primary responsibility for the OL.

Read a rumor the other day about Carroll potentially going to Texas or somewhere else. If that happened, a good look would be Ice moved to receivers and Soldinger brought in as rb coach.

Advertisement
Back