Coach Diaz First game as a Head Coach

Watching a lot of videos and reading articles getting ready for the game. One key to the game I will be looking for is how Diaz handles coaching in his first game as a head coach. I am curious to see how he manages his emotions; his feel for the game; his ability to make adjustments; and how he makes decisions under pressure--use of timeouts or when to go for it and etc. To be honest: how Diaz coaches in this game is one of the unknowns. I think if Mullen has any advantage over Diaz is that for Mullen this is not his first rodeo.

Just interesting we have first-time starter at QB, both offensive tackles and a first time head coach. How they mentally and emotionally handle their first game will be key for us. Also, how all of them grow and mature will be key for the season.

Advertisement
Diaz looks ready. He talks like he is ready at pressers and seems to be as prepared as he will ever be. In 2017, I recall announcers on several occasions complimenting the defensive side of the ball as being "well prepared". Herbstreit said it like three times during Notre Dame. I think he's ready to kick this ****** off just like the rest of us. Manny has always struck me as cool, calm, collected when the need arises but doesn't mind getting in his guys face when they are acting stupid.

Diaz looks ready. He talks like he is ready at pressers and seems to be as prepared as he will ever be. In 2017, I recall announcers on several occasions complimenting the defensive side of the ball as being "well prepared". Herbstreit said it like three times during Notre Dame. I think he's ready to kick this ****** off just like the rest of us. Manny has always struck me as cool, calm, collected when the need arises but doesn't mind getting in his guys face when they are acting stupid.

Diaz isn't calling plays just timeouts. He has said multiple times he is giving Baker the Play Calling Duties. And Dan Enos is Calling plays on offense, sooo.... the worst thing Diaz could do is Not Challenge a obvious play. Everyone on our staff has been there before. Our players are the only question mark. Diaz job is to make sure everyone is doing there job, and since he picked Great people for those jobs I dont see him looking like a Rookie

Last edited:
Advertisement
The way I see it Enos is almost like a co-head coach. He has coaching experience and he also has had to make big decisions in big games.

So whatever edge Mullen may have over Diaz in experience is negated by the experience and wisdom of Enos.

Both teams will be prepared for each other. Now it is up to the players to execute and do their jobs.

Advertisement
Watching a lot of videos and reading articles getting ready for the game. One key to the game I will be looking for is how Diaz handles coaching in his first game as a head coach. I am curious to see how he manages his emotions; his feel for the game; his ability to make adjustments; and how he makes decisions under pressure--use of timeouts or when to go for it and etc. To be honest: how Diaz coaches in this game is one of the unknowns. I think if Mullen has any advantage over Diaz is that for Mullen this is not his first rodeo.

Just interesting we have first-time starter at QB, both offensive tackles and a first time head coach. How they mentally and emotionally handle their first game will be key for us. Also, how all of them grow and mature will be key for the season.

Well, considering how we have done with experienced QBs, tackles, and head coaches I'm taking your post as extremely positive. When the known sucks, the unknown can be a very good thing. GO CANES.

Being a HC preciously is the most overrated concern of all time. Look at the NFL and the guys they’re hiring. Guys that have never even been a coordinator have gotten HC jobs. A 32 year old or whatever in McVay can go to the Super Bowl.

As long as you have the qualities and characteristics of a good HC, you’ll be fine. Manny proved that years ago. He’s analytical, I’ve seen some of the best adjustments at half time, mid quarter, mid drive, etc. He gets a lot out of his players and they want to play for him.

In top 10 teams alone look at how many had never been coaches before and a lot are still relatively new to it (Dabo, Smart, Riley, Ryan Day, Cristobal) even Herman and Frost are new to being a HC and hit the ground running in year 1.

Advertisement
here's one indication. FSU @ Miami last year. Remember the context, the Miami D had taken over complete control of the game. Miami winning 28-27 at about the 10 yard line with less than two minutes to go and driving. Richt was going to go in for the score and give Miami an 8 point lead. Obvious, right? No. Manny interjected and told Richt to kill the clock and NOT score because that would have given FSU the ball back with some time left and if they scored they could covert the two-point conversion and tie the game. Thinking way ahead. He's ready!!

Advertisement
Back