Coach Al Golden On Joe Rose (WQAM) 9-3

stat1124

Hurricane FlashForwards
http://wqam.com/interviews

--3rd Down conversions not good. Under 30%
--completion percentage wasn't where it should be
--timing was off and it disrupted the momentum (with the drops
--happy with the effort, played hard, liked the perimeter blocking
--not concerned with S. Coley. He will be fine. Nerves he will get under control. Trust his technique
--gave props to FAU defensive line and linebackers. our line played ok but a lot of different guys were the reason we rushed for 300 yards.
--the team is still improving but have to take the next step this week.
--Florida week. We will see QB runs like we did last week.
--going to be a great test. Gators will try to control the ball with the run game
--won't confirm whether D. Bush will be back or not. Still in the wait and see approach
--No other injuries on the team besides Scott. Hurns, Waters, Dorsett, Lewis, Coley, the tight ends along with D. Jones and Kidd that will help fill in the hole
--How big is this game to the program: Its exciting game but not worried about pressure and the hype. If you have a plan and prepared, you don't worry about the pressure. Have confidence in who we are and what we can do. That's that.
--Skirted the question on whether we have the talent to match the gators.
--Easely(sp) inside will be one to watch. The front four DL cycle in 8 to 10 players that can play
--LBs will be good as well. Secondary have guys that cover and have length. Talented group
--Noon start doesn't change anything per Golden. It is what it is, and everyone deals with it in Florida
--Gators have an excellent defense and we have to be sharper with our 3rd % and comp %. S. Morris leading will have us ready for the opportunity

Last edited:
Advertisement
http://wqam.com/interviews

Transcript highlights coming soon...
I got you

- FAU game: Weren't very good on 3rd down, timing was off and completion percentage needs to improve.
- Offensively, thought guys played hard but need to improve more.
- Stacy Coley: Says he just needed to let it go and caught balls as well as anyone in camp.
- Offensive line played really hard and great to see a 300 yard rushing performance
- Miami's defense: Says we're a lot stronger and faster and ready for running QBs like Driskell and when Burton is back there.
- Gators pose a great test and he's going to see what kind of team he has at noon Saturday.
- Deon Bush: He will find out more info today but said everyone came out healthy except Scott. Relies on a 5 receiver rotation now.
- Importance of playing UF: He said it's exciting and a great opportunity. Very confident in his plan and now team needs to execute.
- Gators defense: Says Easley jumps out and displays great pad level. Fowler is important and mentioned Powell, Morrison, and talented secondary.
- Says noon start doesn't change or affect anything. Just gotta make sure guys are hydrated.
- Stephen Morris and receivers hoping to rectify situation from FAU and he's doing a great job leading.

A little disappointed that he praised the OL. That was probably my biggest disappointment from Friday

Coach says:

Passing game ---- 3rd downs need to be better, completion % not good enough, too many drops --- proud of the effort
Stacy Coley will be fine, everyone believes in him, probably just got nervous in his first game
FAU was good on D, OL played hard and opened up some holes
D was improved, but U*** is at another level, D has to keep improving
D is better and more poised, U*** is a big test, we'll see what kind of team we have on Sat
Bush -- will learn more today, could go either way, no one else is missing right now --- Duke is fine, everyone is fine (except Scott), 5 guys in rotation at WR, Jones and Kidd are 6 and 7
U*** is an exciting opportunity, nothing more, have to stay focused on details and gameplan
Says he's excited about the players he's recruited, and excited about the team
Easley jumps out, Fowler off the edge, front 4 is deep and big, Morrison and Powell back, secondary can all cover 1 --- talented group
No advantage either way with the noon start
O wasn't sharp and has something to prove, having Morris helps with poise and leadership

Gave up nothing. Just a bunch of coach speak.

Advertisement
A little disappointed that he praised the OL. That was probably my biggest disappointment from Friday

You have to remember the following:

1. 303 Rushing Yards on 38 Attempts for a 8.0 Yard Per Attempt

2. 3 Rushing TDs (Duke, Waters Reverse and Crawford) with another Edwards that wasn't counted.

3. 1 Sack Allowed

4. 2 Potential Passing TDs were dropped (add 11 points, net amount and we win by 39)

On paper they didn't do too bad

2. 3 Rushing TDs (Duke, Waters Reverse and Crawford) with another Edwards that wasn't counted.

3. 1 Sack Allowed

4. 2 Potential Passing TDs were dropped (add 11 points, net amount and we win by 39)

And thats why paper doesnt always tell the full story. They didnt get a consistent push up front imo

3. 1 Sack Allowed

And thats why paper doesnt always tell the full story. They didnt get a consistent push up front imo

If they get the above (minus the drops which are not on the OL), I would be pretty darn happy. 303 Rushing Yards, 8.0 YPC and 3 Rushing TDs per game are nice stats from an OL.

Remember Duke didn't play most of the second half, imagine a healthy Duke running all game.

Advertisement
Golden always undersells what we do and over sells the opponent.
Can't let our guys get full of themselves.
This is the first year he's had every talking head yelling how Miami is back, and it sounds like he doesn't want the players believing any hype until they prove it.
Interesting how analysts like Desmond Howard, say the Miami Florida matchup is tough to pick.
One team is #9 and we are unranked or 25th depending on which meaningless poll you look at.
Says a lot about us and the gators.
Will be really interesting how the betting line develops later in the week.
I've found the real measure of national perception of a team is where the money is placed, especially on basically pick em games.
Easy to be a fan until you start dropping a thousand and up at Caesar's. Then you become much more pragmatic.
Anybody here remember a #9 ranked team versus an unranked team and the line at -3?
Haven't seen that in a while, if ever.
Tells me that talent wise the teams are pretty equal, just going to come down to who plays like their life depends upon it, and who comes out flat.

3. 1 Sack Allowed

The OL was fine. You know who gets this mythical beast "Consistent Push"? No one. Were there shortcomings? Absolutely. Were there a few short yardage plays that Miami didn't convert on? Again, yes. But this "woe is the O Line! For they hath failed to move every pile set before them, and thus are inept against them all!" bit is narrow. I have more issues with the scheme/personnel issue of not giving a blocker on dives or pulling OL when you're trying to run straight ahead. Makes no sense.

Short yardage, goal line rushing offense has to really improve this week! Pathetic that we got should down twice by FAU on fourth and goal.

The Oline will have its biggest test this week because I watched every minute of that UF game and there front 4 is no joke. Easley is tryna get paid like his homeboy Shariff Floyd. He looked like man on a mission in that game. Linder and Felaciano are gonna either make a name for themselves are be just another good Olineman to come through here.

For some reason I am not worried about Seantrel. He is a gamer. Hasnt let us down yet.

Advertisement

3. 1 Sack Allowed

The OL was fine. You know who gets this mythical beast "Consistent Push"? No one. Were there shortcomings? Absolutely. Were there a few short yardage plays that Miami didn't convert on? Again, yes. But this "woe is the O Line! For they hath failed to move every pile set before them, and thus are inept against them all!" bit is narrow. I have more issues with the scheme/personnel issue of not giving a blocker on dives or pulling OL when you're trying to run straight ahead. Makes no sense.

303 Rushing Yards, 3 TDs and 8.0 YPC. There was another Gus TD but the refs didn't see it that way.

Very few teams can do this period, it is very difficult to do this without success at the OL.

LexCane is better at grading players than Al Golden. I'm sure Lex studied the game film and graded out each lineman and can tell us how he graded out.

Lex, what were the grades?

Advertisement
Sorry, but two big runs counted for 115 yards of that total. So I don't really consider 185-190 effort vs FAU to be very impressive. As mentioned the two 4th down stops were pathetic. The same effort vs uf ain't gonna cut it.

Sorry, but two big runs counted for 115 yards of that total. So I don't really consider 185-190 effort vs FAU to be very impressive. As mentioned the two 4th down stops were pathetic. The same effort vs uf ain't gonna cut it.

Why would you throw out the two big runs though to judge the OL?

So now we have to throw out all the big runs? LMAO.. you are hilarous.

Why would you throw out the two big runs though to judge the OL?

because he has to **** around with the facts to win this argument.
It's elementary, my emma watson.

Advertisement
Back