CNNSI Article on Sam Shields resurgence post-concussions

Advertisement
Great article (aside from that weird little comment by the author about Shields' "babymommas").

My two takeaways aside from being happy for the guy:

- this whole concussion discourse needs more voices like that doctor at UCLA. Someone that knows the truth is far from what viewpoints we constantly see on tv- the fear mongering about CTE or those on the other side that discount all the effects of concussions.

- the morons that rushed out to criticize or feel sorry for Shields for playing again obviously didn't care to see if there was any actual depth to his story and him as a person.

Great article (aside from that weird little comment by the author about Shields' "babymommas").

My two takeaways aside from being happy for the guy:

- this whole concussion discourse needs more voices like that doctor at UCLA. Someone that knows the truth is far from what viewpoints we constantly see on tv- the fear mongering about CTE or those on the other side that discount all the effects of concussions.

- the morons that rushed out to criticize or feel sorry for Shields for playing again obviously didn't care to see if there was any actual depth to his story and him as a person.
I’m a grad student and my research focuses in sport-related concussions. There’s an excellent community of researchers doing some really great work on concussions. You’re absolutely right that there is a disconnect between the scientific community and the media. Part of the reason there’s such polarized views on CTE is there really is an incredible amount we don’t know yet. Ann Mckea has done some groundbreaking work on the topic, but her work isn’t without its controversy, and some of that controversy is definitely warranted. For anyone who wants to educate themselves on concussions, scientists like Guskiewicz, Iverson, McCrea, and Broshek among many others have done some great work.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The concussion thing where I live have parents not wanting their kids playing flag football. Driving lots of kids to lacrosse.

Advertisement
Back