clock ticking for Miami coach Al Golden

“The atmosphere is a joke,” the coach said. “That hurts them. [The] old Orange Bowl was awesome.”

Fact. I can't stress it enough how ****** SLS is and how much it hurts us.

The implication here is that if Miami games were back at the Orange Bowl, Golden would be a better coach.. Get out of here with that nonsense. What a lame excuse. No stadium in the world could make him a better coach.

The Orange Bowl was awesome, no doubt, but Miami was dominating because it had great coaches and great players, not because they played in the Orange Bowl. The great Miami teams would've dominated if they played their games on a high school field or a parking lot.

Agree, its just another excuse. What hurts us is not winning.

The "atmosphere" hasn't stopped even a poor coach like Golden from getting a bunch of talent. Talent, atmosphere, etc isn't the problem. There is only 1 problem and its the head man and his crew.

Yes, the OB was much better then SLS but if you win big, you will fill SLS a lot more then it is now. And if we were winning I bet more guys like SBB, Ridley, Cook, etc, etc would stay home as well.

Advertisement
“The atmosphere is a joke,” the coach said. “That hurts them. [The] old Orange Bowl was awesome.”

Fact. I can't stress it enough how ****ty SLS is and how much it hurts us.

Agreed. Any analysis of the program that doesn't focus on our stadium is laughable ignorance. It's every bit as stupid as claiming the scheme doesn't matter and it's all about the talent level.

We gave away 2.5 points per game as soon as we entered that building. I don't think many fans grasp the significance of that. A star player is not worth 2.5 points, unless it's a premier quarterback. Anyone who claims the home venue doesn't matter is using Bar Stool conventional wisdom nonsense. There are clear cut situational variables that impact performance level in either direction and home field values vary dramatically. The mainstream media prefers to ignore those factors so naturally we get stuck with swagger garbage that is was the all about the players and we would have dominated anywhere. Meanwhile, if we had played in a typical stadium and not the Orange Bowl, and had played all of our bowl games in neutral sites like virtually every other school in the country, our bottom line would not be the same and I suspect many members of this site would not be Canes fans at all. We had artificial boosts toward those 5 championships and so many near misses. It would be above 5 championships if not for the annoying fact that we weren't allowed to play at home against Tennessee, Penn State, Alabama, Ohio State...

BTW, I noticed that the author of the linked article edited his third paragraph to read differently than it is presented here. Good move. The way it reads in the OP it seems like he thinks Mack Brown is still at Texas.

The implication here is that if Miami games were back at the Orange Bowl, Golden would be a better coach.. Get out of here with that nonsense. What a lame excuse. No stadium in the world could make him a better coach.

The Orange Bowl was awesome, no doubt, but Miami was dominating because it had great coaches and great players, not because they played in the Orange Bowl. The great Miami teams would've dominated if they played their games on a high school field or a parking lot.

"Sure, there are other factors that are beyond Golden's purview. While every ACC staff would maim for the chance to recruit and stock their rosters with South Florida talent, a coach did make a good counterpoint about where the Hurricanes are playing. Sun Life Stadium is devoid of life. A refurbishment there will help, surely, but how much? Probably not as much as a 10- or 11-win season would help bring life back to the fan base."

Maybe I am reading it wrong but I did not get that implication at all. Obviously, coaching and talent are a bigger factors to success. That being said, playing in a stadium like OB would increase our chances of winning than a SLS. That isn't disputable. I think the coach is pointing out that SLS is a joke and hurts the program. I concur.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Everyday i check in with the hopes to see that somebody has been **** canned. I feel like its inevitable and any day now i will see the thread i want to see on here with people celebratin and rejoicing. I just feel it.

"Take Golden. If he wins a few more games a little bit sooner in Coral Gables, he's a prime candidate for Texas when it's done with Mack Brown."

Huh?

He was alluding to the idea that Golden was a hot coach at one point and if he had won at Miami his first couple of years that UT would have gone after him when Mack was canned.

We have won 10 of our last 11 games at Sun Life.

Did we beat anyone good? Regardless, that stadium and the atmosphere is a joke. It is painfully obvious other schools use SLS and the horrific environment against us in recruiting.

Advertisement
I have no idea if firing Golden is even on the BOT's radar but Duke is going to annihilate us and the uproar from our fanbase is going to be epic next week.

Did we beat anyone good? Regardless, that stadium and the atmosphere is a joke. It is painfully obvious other schools use SLS and the horrific environment against us in recruiting.

Which is completely meaningless in the discussion because we had better players than Louisville and Nebraska and got smashed by both. Check the recruiting of those 2 programs with their great stadiums and compare them to UM's recruiting.

and how many of those teams had a pulse? did any of them finish in the top 25?
Let's take a look:
2014:
Arkansas St (lulz)
FAMU (double lulz)
2013:
UVA (finished 2 - 10)
Va Tech (loss)
Wake Forest (finished 4 - 8)
Ga Tech (finished 7 -6)
Savannah St (finished 1 - 11, and they play in the MEAC)
Florida (finished 4 - 8)
FAU (finished 6 -6)
2012:
South Florida (finished 3 - 9)
Va Tech (VT finished 7 - 6)

So they beat two teams that finished with a winning record, and both of those teams finished 7 - 6. Crown Golden at Sun Life.

Advertisement
The only thing connecting Golden and the loss of the OB is Shalala. Those are two pretty huge misses. Haven't we all bought ****** houses because we knew we could fix them and there was value in the bones? Pfftt. It's about the only thing I hate her for.

Without Coley - there's no Kaya so I can't really agree with that assessment. The O is not the biggest of our concerns.

And I find it incredibly ironic the Golden's career trajectory could have been so different if not for blind loyalty and devotion to a 'process'. Talk about DUMB. Not to mention how many have had to pay a price for his stupidity. Ugh. This article is pretty spot on.

why should we give folden more time if he would of got the job offer at penn state he would of been gone anyways

butch davis

We werent filling up the OB either and teams were negative recruiting us back then by saying our facilities blow. I have a hard time believing our team sucks because of the amount of people in the stands

Advertisement
"Take Golden. If he wins a few more games a little bit sooner in Coral Gables, he's a prime candidate for Texas when it's done with Mack Brown."

Huh?

Confused me too. Who leaves Miami for anything outside the NFL, let alone another program?

I thought Texas was already done with Mack Brown. Perhaps this guy is implying past tense, but writing in the present? Either way, it sounds dumb.

Huh?

He was alluding to the idea that Golden was a hot coach at one point and if he had won at Miami his first couple of years that UT would have gone after him when Mack was canned.

I got that, but he should've used past tense. Anyway, sounds like the guy edited his article.

Huh?

Confused me too. Who leaves Miami for anything outside the NFL, let alone another program?

a slick car salesman who almost dooped the whole country into that position, unfortunately for him and us he ****ed on the red carpet

Advertisement
Back