Clemson

Let Palmquist start, there is going to be nothing to "save" with this rotation. Have ever had a worse pitching staff???? I can't recall one worse than this years.

Advertisement
I don’t understand this at all. Mederos is normally lights out for 4 innings. So why is he losing his starting job when he probably won’t come in as a reliever for any longer than that? Put him on a short leash and let him be him. It’s possible to split a game with Mederos and Garland, if Gino and JD were unaware. We essentially benched the guy with arguably the best stuff on the team and are rolling out Garland instead.

And FWIW I know Garland seems much better as a starter than a bullpen guy too, but that’s not a trade I would make. This isn’t midweek anymore.
Gino is in over his head. Every move he is making reeks of desperation. The Walters move yesterday was the catalyst.

I think the Pittsburgh and FSU series will not be overcome. That and this team does not look like it can take 3 games from any ACC team right now. 2 seed on the road at best right now.
Pitching wise they are statistically better than us and hitting is about even.
The team just needs to play 0.500 ball in the ACC to get to the postseason. The nonconference wins make the resume stronger.

I wish the team would turn it around as there's still an opportunity to catch Pitt and finish 2nd in the Coastal.

Who'd a thunk Pitt, VT, and ND would be 3 of the 4 teams leadind the conference. Beating Florida early created some false expectations as this team is very young at key positions and some of the veterans haven't lived up to expectations.

Smith's stuff is electric. He leaves some fat now and again but arm talent wise he is the real deal. Peep this lineup ROK:
CDC
Vilar
ADC
Morales
Gil
Rivera
Toral
Piteli
Lala

I think that's our best lineup
Love this lineup. I've been screaming for Lala to get out of the leadoff spot for weeks.

Love this lineup. I've been screaming for Lala to get out of the leadoff spot for weeks.
Another really slick move by Gino to take Lala out of leadoff for a game! I understand if it was just a struggle this year but he wasn’t good for us last year in shortened season either. Get him down in the lineup

Advertisement
terrible having to rely on such young kids to be your Friday and Saturday starters

but either way the bats have been a joke most of the year

and the pen (except for Palm) has been an adventure

Clemson is throwing Mack Anglin a talented Right handed freshman tonight, Askew a Lefty on Saturday, and Nick Hoffman a Righty on Sunday

The team just needs to play 0.500 ball in the ACC to get to the postseason. The nonconference wins make the resume stronger.

I wish the team would turn it around as there's still an opportunity to catch Pitt and finish 2nd in the Coastal.

Who'd a thunk Pitt, VT, and ND would be 3 of the 4 teams leadind the conference. Beating Florida early created some false expectations as this team is very young at key positions and some of the veterans haven't lived up to expectations.
.500 ball may be hard to do unfortunately, this pitching rotation is downright bad.

Saturday let's get some right-handed hitters in the lineup. Toral, Pitelli and Lala could sit in favor of Gil, Izarra, Frank, respectively.

Advertisement
Garland has 3 starts of 6+ innings while allowing 1 or fewer runs.
Meanwhile, Mederos has issued 12 BBs in his last 4 starts.

Garland has 3 starts of 6+ innings while allowing 1 or fewer runs.
Meanwhile, Mederos has issued 12 BBs in his last 4 starts.
Garland IMO is a great Wed guy, he does not have the "stuff" to be a consistent ACC starter, but him and his 5 ERA are this weekend so hopefully the bats rattle.
Mederos has all the tools, but he either gets tired or he mentally lapses. Hoping its a freshman thing and not long term cause he can throw.

Garland IMO is a great Wed guy, he does not have the "stuff" to be a consistent ACC starter, but him and his 5 ERA are this weekend so hopefully the bats rattle.
Mederos has all the tools, but he either gets tired or he mentally lapses. Hoping its a freshman thing and not long term cause he can throw.
Yeah gotta hope Garland gets the type of run support he's received on Wednesdays. Not gonna hold my breath.
Dubberly has issued just 6 BBs in 26 IP.
Rosario hasn't started since 3/26 so he's due.
Mederos faced 11 batters in 2 IP at Pitt with 2 BBs and 1 HBP.
I think I agree with benching Mederos this weekend.
If Garland (or Rosario or Dubberly) falters we can see how Mederos responds out of the 'pen.

Advertisement
Yeah gotta hope Garland gets the type of run support he's received on Wednesdays. Not gonna hold my breath.
If Garland (or Rosario or Dubberly) falters we can see how Mederos responds out of the 'pen.
Do you recall us ever having a worse weekend rotation (stats wise)? I do not.

Do you recall us ever having a worse weekend rotation (stats wise)? I do not.
The stats might be slightly deceiving without any weekend series against out-of-conference cupcakes, but we're not in a great spot there obviously.

Advertisement
The stats might be slightly deceiving without any weekend series against out-of-conference cupcakes, but we're not in a great spot there obviously.
Team ERA is almost 5, that's pretty bad, even with cupcakes off schedule. Take out Palm and it's a joke for a Miami Hurricanes pitching rotation. Hopefully we get another live arm in this class and Rosario and Mederos mature to pitch to match their arm talents.

It also opens the option of having Mederos start Wednesday. I don’t think Smith exactly locked down the spot. Maybe a midweek start can build up some confidence for Mederos. Either way, having him make another weekend start was unteneable.

.500 ball may be hard to do unfortunately, this pitching rotation is downright bad.
It's doable. Should be able to take 2 from Clemson. Need 2 from UNC and win at least 1 game against GT and Louisville.

If we don't win this Clemson series, then the post season would definitely be at risk.

Advertisement
Back