Clemson Post Game Media

Advertisement
Advertisement
That last 4th qtr sequence I almost came unglued, but this was by far Marios' best coaching game. He had a plan and executed it. Just don't get any wise ideas about ground and pound.
the last min in the 4th quarter is worse than not taking a knee VS GT to me! It was horrible! We had a timeout and a kicker who could hit from 58 plus as time expired! Horrible! We didn’t even attempt to win the game!!

the last min in the 4th quarter is worse than not taking a knee VS GT to me! It was horrible! We had a timeout and a kicker who could hit from 58 plus as time expired! Horrible! We didn’t even attempt to win the game!!
Not defending the sequence, but...

very young QB, Dawson made a command decision to settle the tempo down and go win the game in OT.

That's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Emory with several more games of experience and repetition with the offense, he probably hits the gas and runs an aggressive 40 second drill to get them into position.

very young QB, Dawson made a command decision to settle the tempo down and go win the game in OT.

Emory with several more games of experience and repetition with the offense, he probably hits the gas and runs an aggressive 40 second drill to get them into position.
Agreed they were seeing if they could pop off a run with clemson most likely playing softer expecting a pass or 2 for field goal range. Didn't hate the plan would have like to see at least 1 shot after the first down run but hey better to go into OT then fumble or throw a pick at midfield with a true freshman

Advertisement
Advertisement
I certainly don't like the decision but when you win no reason to second guess it. If we would have lost, my god he'd be catching insults on every major network the rest of the week.

I certainly don't like the decision but when you win no reason to second guess it. If we would have lost, my god he'd be catching insults on every major network the rest of the week.
Green QB. By not forcing it, you give him a shorter field to deal with in OT by at least 20 yards, with a defense that had been playing well.
Kick a silly long field goal and get it blocked, if you even get in range, we are singing a different tune today.

Green QB. By not forcing it, you give him a shorter field to deal with in OT by at least 20 yards, with a defense that had been playing well.
Kick a silly long field goal and get it blocked, if you even get in range, we are singing a different tune today.
I mean, that's all easy to justify after a win. If Clemson scores a TD in that first OT this would not be the argument you make. It was a coaching decision that ended up correct. I won't call it the correct coaching decision.

Advertisement

Except the big bucks argument goes away when you prove incomptence like you did vs GT.

I thought we didn't give Emory a chance. Now maybe if we open the playbook it's a disaster. Who knows so from that standpoint and the win you can't really argue the game plan.

The end of the 4th quarter was embarrassing. I could understand it a bit more if we needed a touchdown. But we needed 35-40 yards to give us a chance

That last 4th qtr sequence I almost came unglued, but this was by far Marios' best coaching game. He had a plan and executed it. Just don't get any wise ideas about ground and pound.
What was the game plan, no offense for 3 qtrs and pray for the last qtr? The game plan was garbage and nearly cost them the game if not for Clemson wilting.

What was the game plan, no offense for 3 qtrs and pray for the last qtr? The game plan was garbage and nearly cost them the game if not for Clemson wilting.
-play good defense
-Run the ball
-Emory manage the game and not be the reason we lose

That was not a good Clemson team and Mario obviously told the players don't beat ourselves. It worked it wasn't pretty, but in this circumstance with barely having a QB I'm not going to criticize it.

Advertisement
Back