Clemson on Clemson: Notes from their 247 reporters

Advertisement
Virginia’s defense usually plays sound run defense while ours doesn’t. While Clemson’s run blocking may not be the greatest right now, if our guys aren’t in the right gaps and over pursuing like they’ve been doing, it could be long day.

Their biggest weakness is probably linebackers and safety. D line has plenty of talent but they are a bit banged up and young. I expect lashlee to do a lot of trickery to try and fool some of their defensive weaknesses and inexperience. Their LB and S haven’t graded out to well in pass pro. Decoy Jordan ( Venebrals is gonna bracket him and spy king plenty) for Mallory and rbs. I bet we see a lot of unbalanced. Need WR to step up and make critical catches to stay ahead of the chains. Hoping Payton is good to go and can be that guy.

Their Oline has not been able to create great push for the running game. Etteine and TL are gonna get theirs. But I expect us to play a lot of soft coverage to keep everything in front of them. Limit the explosive plays and hold Clemson in the 30’s is our best chance.

Advertisement
I’ve never really been overly impressed with Elliot as a play caller for multiple reasons.

- Passing game in the past has always been a fade ball type offense with their WRs
- Lawrence is athletic but they run him like he’s Lamar. He’s too tall and lanky, he’s going to get caught one of these days. Doesn’t make sense to me to run your star QB that way, you shouldn’t have too the way they do.
- IMO, they never really beat teams off play calling opposed to just being more talented then teams on offense. I would say 2018 Bama was the one game I might of felt that way.

a lot of y’all going to give me shhit for this but I do think Lawrence is a bit overrated. His sophomore season he didn’t take the jump I would have expected a “generational talent” would have taken. He was good of course but he didn’t impress me for what’s let out their in regards to hype. If I had to choose between the two, I’m taking Fields right now.

Season leader stats seem comparable on paper. They got the edge in QB and we have the edge in receiving and rushing.

Advertisement
I’ve never really been overly impressed with Elliot as a play caller for multiple reasons.

- Passing game in the past has always been a fade ball type offense with their WRs
- Lawrence is athletic but they run him like he’s Lamar. He’s too tall and lanky, he’s going to get caught one of these days. Doesn’t make sense to me to run your star QB that way, you shouldn’t have too the way they do.
- IMO, they never really beat teams off play calling opposed to just being more talented then teams on offense. I would say 2018 Bama was the one game I might of felt that way.

a lot of y’all going to give me shhit for this but I do think Lawrence is a bit overrated. His sophomore season he didn’t take the jump I would have expected a “generational talent” would have taken. He was good of course but he didn’t impress me for what’s let out their in regards to hype. If I had to choose between the two, I’m taking Fields right now.
I believe it was Jeff Scott giving Elliot some of the calls last year. Remember they were Co Coordinators but Elliott got credit calling plays but Scott name always was talked about!

I've never trusted a Clemson RB after college to be great and I believe the same with Etienne. They always get backs that are good in space but never the Derrick Henry's of the world that can grind out yards.

From Bronco Mendenhall's press conference last night- he was asked about using two of his 3 timeouts so early in the first half:

On effect of using timeouts in the first half

“Really not that much. Here is the simple thought behind that. Clemson is hopeful to have shock and awe right from the beginning and put you on your heels and never let you recover. I was absolutely willing to use timeouts and slow the pace to make sure our guys were ready, and they were. That was absolutely something that we would do again and was prepared to do because of how fast, how explosive and how easily they jump out on teams so quickly. Looking to stall and use them if we needed to and I believe we needed to.”

Advertisement
They are extremely concerned about their run blocking. It's been very poor. Etienne has fought for every yard he's gotten.

They also don't seem impressed with Tony Elliott as sole OC. They think his play calling lacks imagination
happy jim carrey GIF

Not even being a homer but I feel like we can win. Their defense doesn’t scare me
It’s not their Defense I’m worried about. The real question is can our Defense keep us in the game.

Advertisement
I really believe we bring our A game this week. We got Ed Reed around to hold them boyz accountable
Hope you’re right but I don’t think we are good enough on Defense to keep us in the game.

Advertisement
Back