Clemson last drive

chrisRMNU

Sophomore
As I’m sure many of you, I was heavily critical of Mario’s decision to not attempt moving the ball for a possible game winning FG at the end of the game Saturday. However, I realized that they may be alternate, and logical reasons why he didn’t.

We possessed the ball for over 13 minutes in the 4th quarter, and that Clemson defense was beginning to buckle while ours was well rested. It’s entirely possible that Mario understood this and instead of putting the ball in the air with a very green QB, he decided they had a better chance of winning within the confines of CFB overtime rules, which puts the ball on the +25 to start each drive.

It certainly seemed like Miami was the team with a little more gas left in the tank in the OT period, and thankfully it worked out. Now… I would still have tried to end the game in regulation if it were me, however I can see the other side of it.

Advertisement
If you look at the probable out comes of airing it out and trying to get to fG range I think it’s most likely we don’t get there, next most likely would be an int or strip sack, and least likely would be we get there. I agreed with the decision in the moment and with more time to consider I agree with it more.

a few things that I think lead people to see why we chose it, even if they disagree

- don chaney had just gotten hurt so couldn't help in pass protection
- only success to that point that emory had was with the box loaded and one on one, not with 8 in coverage
- we might have not had time anyways because emory was struggling mightily with time management
- any turnover would give them a short field with 2 timeouts to win the game
- they have a bad kicker, we have an excellent kicker for FG trades in OT
- we were dominating both sides of the trenches and their D was gassed
- same thing happened in the A&M and temple games, we ran one run play conservatively and it got to closer to the 50 so we pushed tempo and scored late. mario mentioned in his presser and we did that again but it was unsuccessful, emory wasted time, and chaney got hurt so we held off
- no doubt if we had TVD we would have done it

some might not agree but it's not GT level incompetence. luckily it worked out

I think they were content going to OT, but were willing to try to see if they could break a long run and I don't think they wanted to rush those attempts and give the ball back to Clemson.

They were having success running the ball, had 1:30 and still had a TO.

There is no justifying the abomination at the end of that game. I’m just glad it worked out.

Advertisement
Watch the Phins-Eagles game after the Eagles did the Brotherly Shove for a yard back in their own territory, the announcers mentioned that everyone loves when it's successful, but had it failed, they'd be furious.

It's the same here.

The big play many are forgetting us Chaney got hurt on the run that got first down and left game. So even if Miami tried to hurry to the line the refs would have had to give Clemson chance to substitute. And these teams use that to milk the clock so a minimum 15-20 seconds would have been lost anyway. Only thing that could have saved the time would have been for Chaney to stay in and line up and then spike the ball. I wanted them to try to win but when I saw him limp off I figured they would play for over time

Advertisement
Back