Clemson fan here

Advertisement
Tell your OL they can hold with abandon.

With a Lead, the UM defense is lights out.
The key, for Miami, is to score in the 1st quarter..

Been thinking about this a lot. Against ND we nearly got a turnover on the 2nd play of the game and then did get one a bit later. If the defense can step up and get a three and out early and someone wears the chain in the first quarter I think it will be a long night for Clemson.

Clemson fan, Miami is notorious for "playing to the competition", as well-evidenced in the VT & ND games vs. the rest of the teams we played this year. Your team should be in the VT & ND column - actually, probably much better than these 2 teams. Thus, we should come out swinging, but hey these are generally 18 to 22 year old young men and sometimes their own agenda gets in the way.

I honestly think we play down because we try to keep things verrrry vanilla against those other teams, no one can tell me otherwise. On defense we sit in 4-3 base with basic zone behind it. On offense very few wrinkles.

We play a big game and we are doing reverse passes and wildcat and on defense we have dbs at dt position for spy and different blitz packages custom to that teams offense. The Clemson off coord mentioned as much about Diaz.

I don't mind that theory but it let's these lesser teams qb get in rhythm and hang around longer, we find ourselves in fog fights like uva, or lose like Pitt. Also our back up qb can't get work because we can't blow anybody out so when you do a qb switch he has 5 passes all season.. smh

It's funny you mention all of this because as much as I'd hate to think this is what they do, I'm not sure anyone who's watched every game this season could deny it. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with motivation, but the Canes look like an ENTIRELY different team when they need to put someone away. Like you said - crazy looks on offense and defense that you don't see ever again.

Could Richt and co purposefully be trying to confuse scouting and prep for other teams? I feel like it puts us at a competitive disadvantage with the games against inferior opponents, but it obviously allows us to smack the "big boys" in the jaw. I feel like that's an odd hand to keep playing, but it seems to have mostly worked.

All that to say, I agree with you.

Advertisement
I believe the key for Clemson is to get Bryant to complete passes. Thats been his downfall and also our secondary. I swear they get more pass interference calls than any other team.

It's a game that will be decided up front on both sides of the ball, IMO. I think we have a more streaky passer but you have the better athlete at QB. If we can't contain Bryant it'll be tough to beat your team, however if we can get him to 3rd and longs we have a great chance to win.

Clemson fan, Miami is notorious for "playing to the competition", as well-evidenced in the VT & ND games vs. the rest of the teams we played this year. Your team should be in the VT & ND column - actually, probably much better than these 2 teams. Thus, we should come out swinging, but hey these are generally 18 to 22 year old young men and sometimes their own agenda gets in the way.

I honestly think we play down because we try to keep things verrrry vanilla against those other teams, no one can tell me otherwise. On defense we sit in 4-3 base with basic zone behind it. On offense very few wrinkles.

We play a big game and we are doing reverse passes and wildcat and on defense we have dbs at dt position for spy and different blitz packages custom to that teams offense. The Clemson off coord mentioned as much about Diaz.

I don't mind that theory but it let's these lesser teams qb get in rhythm and hang around longer, we find ourselves in fog fights like uva, or lose like Pitt. Also our back up qb can't get work because we can't blow anybody out so when you do a qb switch he has 5 passes all season.. smh

It's funny you mention all of this because as much as I'd hate to think this is what they do, I'm not sure anyone who's watched every game this season could deny it. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with motivation, but the Canes look like an ENTIRELY different team when they need to put someone away. Like you said - crazy looks on offense and defense that you don't see ever again.

Could Richt and co purposefully be trying to confuse scouting and prep for other teams? I feel like it puts us at a competitive disadvantage with the games against inferior opponents, but it obviously allows us to smack the "big boys" in the jaw. I feel like that's an odd hand to keep playing, but it seems to have mostly worked.

You and the previous poster couldn't be further from the truth. No coach wants his team to play down to competition and i'm not sure why anyone would think that... Our QB has been low-energy and inconsistent all season, in an offense that thrives on tempo and consistent progression/mechanics by the QB. Malik needs to be better at both and match the competitive nature Richt has to take this offense and team to the next level. He's got his "first college loss" out of the way so hopefully he will have a more aggressive approach to this game.

From what's been reported he's practicing with more energy. Hopefully he can pull it all together when needed. That loss to Pitt could be what takes this team to the next level.

You and the previous poster couldn't be further from the truth. No coach wants his team to play down to competition and i'm not sure why anyone would think that... Our QB has been low-energy and inconsistent all season, in an offense that thrives on tempo and consistent progression/mechanics by the QB. Malik needs to be better at both and match the competitive nature Richt has to take this offense and team to the next level. He's got his "first college loss" out of the way so hopefully he will have a more aggressive approach to this game.

From what's been reported he's practicing with more energy. Hopefully he can pull it all together when needed. That loss to Pitt could be what takes this team to the next level.

I'm not saying he's wanting them to play down to the competition. The lack of energy and motivation is definitely a huge issue. I mentioned that in my post.

What I'm saying is that it does seem like the playcalling and gameplanning is significantly more creative against the bigger opponents (VT, ND).
I could be 100% wrong. If I am, I don't really care. That's not the point.

IF, for the sake of argument, Richt is keeping it more vanilla for the smaller opponents, he may be expecting his team to simply out-athlete the guys on the other side of the ball. They obviously don't always do that. This is all just based on observation, but I don't think you can deny that the playcalling vs ND and VT looked way more varied.

Let me be the first to state the facts! Canes matches up evenly with Clemson, and the special teams have weak kicker/punter. Offensively, Canes has more depth at WRs and Clemson has more depth at RBs. The QBs have no bowl or playoff experience, and Clemson OL may be slit better. Defensively, Clemson has a great front 4, but Canes can rotate 8. LBs on both sides benefits from solid DL, so it even. As for the secondary, not close with Canes depth.

My pick is Canes 31-28. Diaz and Richt will dial up an aggressive game plan, which Clemson cannot handle!

Advertisement

I'm not saying he's wanting them to play down to the competition. The lack of energy and motivation is definitely a huge issue. I mentioned that in my post.

What I'm saying is that it does seem like the playcalling and gameplanning is significantly more creative against the bigger opponents (VT, ND).

IF, for the sake of argument, Richt is keeping it more vanilla for the smaller opponents, he may be expecting his team to simply out-athlete the guys on the other side of the ball. They obviously don't always do that. This is all just based on observation, but I don't think you can deny that the playcalling vs ND and VT looked way more varied.

No one said we played down to competition but if u chart plays and look at film it is clear as day at what we try to do.. I get it, esp against the Bethune of the world, not sure we are talented enough to do that against Pitt n uva yet..

I also listen to any video I can of game week opponent, Clemson oc mentioned as much what we are talking about. We do a good job of customizing game plans in our big games. Majority of our film is not even worth reviewing because we keep it basic, that is the pro in what we do. The con is we end up in dog fights against lesser teams which SEEMS like we are playing down to opponents

No one said we played down to competition but if u chart plays and look at film it is clear as day at what we try to do.. I get it, esp against the Bethune of the world, not sure we are talented enough to do that against Pitt n uva yet..

I also listen to any video I can of game week opponent, Clemson oc mentioned as much what we are talking about. We do a good job of customizing game plans in our big games. Majority of our film is not even worth reviewing because we keep it basic, that is the pro in what we do. The con is we end up in dog fights against lesser teams which SEEMS like we are playing down to opponents

Read the second quote in my sig. If you can't execute the basics and run the ball, there's no need to get cute. This system goes as the QB goes. You'll be surprised what the offense looks like with better execution; especially from the QB position.

1. Dabo Swinney has has always been one of my favorite coaches
2. When we were going through Al Golden nightmare, It was great to have someone in the ACC to make FSU cry every other year
3. The 58-0 loss was the best thing ever!
4. come Sat though....

Advertisement
Back