Clemson CB LeAnthony Williams enters transfer portal

Goulds Cane

Senior

Played prep ball at Roswell HS in Roswell, just outside Atlanta. Chose Clemson over UF, LSU, Michigan & North Carolina. Redshirted in 2017, then totaled 17 tackles & 3 pass breakups over the last 3 seasons. Younger brother Malik is a 2021 DB & just signed with Nebraska.

Normally would be a grad transfer with one year of eligibility left but has two years remaining due to 2020 being a free year. With our atrocious numbers at CB, I would love to see T-Rob or DVD reach out to the young man.

Advertisement

Played prep ball at Westlake HS in Atlanta. Chose Clemson over UF, LSU, Michigan & North Carolina. Redshirted in 2017, then totaled 17 tackles & 3 pass breakups over the last 3 seasons. Younger brother Malik is a 2021 DB & just signed with Nebraska.

Normally would be a grad transfer with one year of eligibility left but has two years remaining due to 2020 being a free year. With our atrocious numbers at CB, I would love to see T-Rob or DVD reach out to the young man.

We have no space.

Look, you guys need to understand, we're not going get bodies in the portal to just fill depth. The players in the portal want to leave their school for two reasons.

1. They want to showcase their talents at a higher tier level of competition than they are competing at a lower tier (FCS or G5).
OR
2. They're not happy with the playing time they are getting at their current school and are looking to become a starter elsewhere.

Portal players are ONLY coming if they have a legit opportunity to become the starter and to see significant minutes if they are not the starter.

In this case, I don't see any more takes at CB. We got Stevenson and our 2-deep at corner is pretty much settled with Stevenson, Blades, Ivey, and Couch (no particular order).

We have to load up at CB with high school talent in the 2022 cycle. Full stop.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I do not remember hearing his name called when watching Clemson games last year. They played a lot guys in their secondary because of injuries. Does anybody know more about him?

Advertisement
Look, you guys need to understand, we're not going get bodies in the portal to just fill depth. The players in the portal want to leave their school for two reasons.

1. They want to showcase their talents at a higher tier level of competition than they are competing at at lower tier (FCS or G5).
OR
2. They're not happy with the playing time they are getting at their current school and are looking to become a starter elsewhere.

Portal players are ONLY coming if they have a legit opportunity to become the starter and to see significant minutes if they are not the starter.

In this case, I don't see any more takes at CB. We got Stevenson and our 2-deep at corner is pretty much settled with Stevenson, Blades, Ivey, and Couch.

Ivey??? Come on man

Ivey??? Come on man
You're missing the point and going out of context from the original post. The only guys that would transfer in would be someone who expects to start. Assuming Stevenson is at one starting corner, then a transfer player would need to beat out not just Ivey, but Blades and Couch as well.

So a guy riding Clemson's bench or any other school isn't coming here unless he thinks he can get starter minutes.

Last edited:
Is either Blade or Couch some sort of proven stud at corner? Anyone who transfers to a school has to beat out incumbents. None of Blades, Ivey, or Couch have shown me anything. Frankly neither has Stevenson.

Advertisement

1. They want to showcase their talents at a higher tier level of competition than they are competing at a lower tier (FCS or G5).
OR

In this case, I don't see any more takes at CB. We got Stevenson and our 2-deep at corner is pretty much settled with Stevenson, Blades, Ivey, and Couch (no particular order).

In general, I think you’re right as to the reasons most players enter the Portal. However, there are at least two other situations that can yield excellent players:

3. coaching change/scheme change. A player recruited for one scheme might be disfavored after a scheme change or coaching turnover. D’Eriq is this kind of guy after he got a new HC at Houston. Rather than play, he redshirted and then transferred to the Canes. Similarly, Tennessee has had tremendous turnover after Pruitt was fired as the HC. We got a DE. Oklahoma landed several excellent Vol transferees.

4. Some unique circumstance may cause a very good player to leave. For the Canes, we landed Bolden after his suspension at USC ruined his relationship with that staff. Similarly, Phillips left UCLA after his multiple injuries soured his football prospects and damaged his morale. Both were restored at UM.

Agree with you that we should only now raid the Portal for guys who are almost sure starters. Our OU Wr, Tenn De and Georgia DB all meet that criteria. Great moves. For additional Portal players this summer, I’d be looking only for stars and likely starters at: DE, LB and DB. That would be optimal.

Last edited:
You're missing the point and going out of context from the original post. The only guys that would transfer in would be someone who expects to start. Assuming Stevenson is at one starting corner, then s transfer player would need to beat out not just Ivey, but Blades and Couch as well.

So a guy riding Clemson's bench or any other school isn't coming here unless he thinks he can get starter minutes.
Don't know anything about the guy but I agree. Unless our coaches thinks he, or anyone else in the portal, is starter material then they shouldnt take him (assuming they could).

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back