Class Impact: Tyler Van Dyke to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Suffield Academy (CT) QB Tyler Van Dyke committed to Miami on Monday afternoon.

The 6-4 210 pounder is currently a 4-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Van Dyke is the #268 player nationally, #10 Pro-Style QB in the country, and the #2 player in Connecticut. His commitment raises Category20 to the #4 class ranking on 247Sports and #4 on Rivals.

The Player

Originally offered by Mark Richt’s staff last November, Van Dyke was identified by new OC Dan Enos as a top QB in the 2020 class and Enos continued to pursue the Connecticut star when hired by Miami in January. The relationship between the two parties grew from there, and Miami was able to convince Van Dyke to come down on a March spring break visit. For his part, Van Dyke did enjoy his trip to Coral Gables and it helped UM, but most thought that Van Dyke would be a guy that would stick up north, and I said in early April that Miami wanted to get him back on campus again before they felt confident in their chances. Well, that visit happened in an under the radar trip to Coral Gables over the weekend, over which Van Dyke gave his commitment to the staff. Syracuse and Wisconsin were both considered leaders for Van Dyke at various points.

For a more in-depth breakdown on what Van Dyke would add to UM, I’ll direct you to Roman’s write-up on him from last month, but this is the short version. As a junior at Suffield, Van Dyke threw for 1,899 yards on a 57% completion percentage, along with 14 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. Van Dyke is a passer who typically will spend more time under center than in the gun. Runs a very efficient, under center, play-action type offense and seems very natural in it. Gets in rhythm and gets the ball out with a purpose with great placement. A true arm talent that is a very natural thrower who can sling it with high velocity. Can make every single throw in a route tree, an offensive coordinator’s dream. Not the most mobile or athletic QB, and is more old school pro-style. Well coached with his footwork and is efficient with his drops. Van Dyke is also a three sport athlete that plays baseball and basketball for Suffield as well.

The Class

Van Dyke’s commitment raises the total class numbers to 12, and UM has found their guy at QB. Miami identified Van Dyke and Wyoming (OH) 3-star Evan Prater as two guys they really wanted at QB in this class, and it was a race to see who would commit first that Van Dyke won. Barring a rash of transfers at the position, Miami is done recruiting QB’s for 2020.

The Team

With Van Dyke now on board, along with OSU transfer Tate Martell and 2019 signee Peyton Matocha joining the Canes a few months earlier, Enos has now brought on three QB’s as he tries to shape the QB room his way. Heading into next season at the position, a lot will depend on what happens with the three-way QB battle going on right now. Sophomore N’Kosi Perry is the only returnee with real playing experience, but he didn’t exactly blow anybody away with his performance in 2018. Perry is competing with Martell and Jarren Williams to become the apple of Enos’ eye early on, and all three had their moments this spring.

When Van Dyke hits campus in 2020, Miami will have a returning established starter regardless of who wins the job, so there’s a pretty good chance Van Dyke has to wait his turn and marinate for a year or two. Van Dyke will be in a good spot to take a redshirt year to learn the system and adjust to the college game, with the goal to be ready to jump into a starring role running Miami’s offense by 2021 or 2022.

Advertisement
2020 Suffield Academy (CT) Tyler Van Dyke committed to Miami on Monday afternoon.

The 6-4 210 pounder is currently a 4-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Van Dyke is the #268 player nationally, #10 Pro-Style QB in the country, and the #2 player in Connecticut. His commitment raises Category20 to the #4 class ranking on 247Sports and #4 on Rivals.

The Player

Originally offered by Mark Richt’s staff last November, Van Dyke was identified by new OC Dan Enos as a top QB in the 2020 class and Enos continued to pursuit the Connecticut star when hired by Miami in January. The relationship between the two parties grew from there, and Miami was able to convince Van Dyke to come down on a March spring break visit. For his part, Van Dyke did enjoy his trip to Coral Gables and it helped UM, but most thought that Van Dyke would be a guy that would stick up north, and I said in early April that Miami wanted to get him back on campus again before they felt confident in their chances. Well, that visit happened in an under the radar trip to Coral Gables over the weekend, over which Van Dyke gave his commitment to the staff. Syracuse and Wisconsin were both considered leaders for Van Dyke at various points.

For a more in-depth breakdown on what Van Dyke would add to UM, I’ll direct you to Roman’s write-up on him from last month, but this is the short version. As a junior at Suffield, Van Dyke threw for 1,899 yards on a 57% completion percentage, along with 14 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. Van Dyke is a passer who typically will spend more time under center than in the gun. Runs a very efficient, under center, play-action type offense and seems very natural in it. Gets in rhythm and gets the ball out with a purpose with great placement. A true arm talent that is a very natural thrower who can sling it with high velocity. Can make every single throw in a route tree, an offensive coordinator’s dream. Not the most mobile or athletic QB, and is more old school pro-style. Well coached with his footwork and is efficient with his drops.

The Class

Van Dyke’s commitment raises the total class numbers to 12, and UM has found their guy at QB. Miami identified Van Dyke and Wyoming (OH) 3-star Evan Prater as two guys they really wanted at QB in this class, and it was a race to see who would commit first that Van Dyke won. Barring a rash of transfers at the position, Miami is done recruiting QB’s for 2020.

The Team

With Van Dyke now on board, along with OSU transfer Tate Martell and 2019 signee Peyton Matocha joining the Canes a few months earlier, Enos has now brought on three QB’s as he tries to shape the QB room his way. Heading into next season at the position, a lot will depend on what happens with the three-way QB battle going on right now. Sophomore N’Kosi Perry is the only returnee with real playing experience, but he didn’t exactly blow anybody away with his performance in 2018. Perry is competing with Martell and Jarren Williams to become the apple of Enos’ eye early on, and all three had their moments this spring.

When Van Dyke hits campus in 2020, Miami will have a returning established starter regardless of who wins the job, so there’s a pretty good chance Van Dyke has to wait his turn and marinate for a year or two. Van Dyke will be in a good spot to take a redshirt year to learn the system and adjust to the college game, with the goal to be ready to jump into a starring role running Miami’s offense by 2021 or 2022.

Thank you again for the outstanding overview of our new QB. I appreciate your research and details.

Advertisement
So for all the ones who been crying about having a spread offense cause it’s what wins with our talent base in South Florida, this confirms (along with Peyton) we will be running a pro style O

Advertisement
Very serviceable in Dan Enos's offense. Will make the most out of it.

He's no Tua, but he could grown into a Alex Smith role at best.

Like the Gent before me said, he has superior throw-on-the-run ability.
Can u explain this?? He plays very little like either one of them. Don't think he'll be serviceable he'll probably either be an absolute stud or flame out his tools are too good to just be average

Advertisement
Can u explain this?? He plays very little like either one of them. Don't think he'll be serviceable he'll probably either be an absolute stud or flame out his tools are too good to just be average

Dawg. I’ll explain by saying Alex Smith is the top 20% of QBs in the world. Probably top 15%. Thats all that matters.

More so, I have never seen a kid drop dimes on the run like that in high school.

Kid is a talent. Dan Enos has a resume to attract talent.

And can you please explain how he’s neither Tua or Alex Smith, yet he will be an absolute stud? I explained both ends of the spectrum. I really am interested??

Advertisement
More so, I have never seen a kid drop dimes on the run like that in high school.

Kid is a talent. Dan Enos has a resume to attract talent.

And can you please explain how he’s neither Tua or Alex Smith, yet he will be an absolute stud? I explained both ends of the spectrum. I really am interested??
I said he'll either be a stud or flame out. And neither Tua or Alex Smith have real big arms which is this guy's biggest standout feature. Both are way better athletes that TVD so I just don't know why u brought them up cause their traits aren't really comparable. And I say he'll be on either end of the spectrum either great or bust because his arm talent doesn't leave room for him to be okay. He's either gonna get it mentally or not and it's hard to tell in just a highlight tape but also whether he'll be accurate or not don't see a lot of middle ground for a player of his arm talent

Advertisement
Back