Class Impact: Ousman Traore to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 Hutchinson C.C. (KS) OL Ousman Traore committed to the Hurricanes late Thursday night on his official visit to Miami.

The 6-3 325 pounder is currently unranked in the national rankings, as he was classified as a 2020 JUCO prospect until a few days ago. His commitment keeps Miami’s 2019 class at #28 in the nation on 247Sports and #36 on Rivals.

The Player

After graduating from Hapeville Charter in Georgia for high school in 2018 and landing no offers, Traore decided to go the JUCO route to develop his game so that he’d be considered a D-I prospect despite being a full academic qualifier. Up until a week ago, Traore was originally planning to return to Hutchinson for the 2019 season because he was only being offered a spot in the 2020 class by the schools recruiting him, programs such as LSU, UF, and ECU.

However, the Canes got involved this week, offering him a spot in the 2019 class and a chance to enroll this summer. Traore took a mid-week official visit Wednesday and Thursday and decided he would take that opportunity, committing to the coaching staff on the visit late last night. He will be immediately eligible as a full qualifier and will enroll for Summer B at UM on June 30 with classes starting July 1st. He has four years to play three and comes to Miami as a true sophomore to play guard.

At Hutchinson last season, Traore started 11 games as a true freshman at left guard for the Blue Dragons and was named first team All-Conference. On film, he is a physical road-grader that was a star for one of the top JUCO programs in the country and isn’t satisfied until his man is on the ground. Always looking for contact even after making his first block; in other words, is a quality improviser when the play breaks down. Adept at paving lanes in the running game and generally moves opponents exactly where he wants them to go.

Plays with very good leverage, balance, and bend. Shows the mobility to pull, hit his targets, and seal the edge or get to the second level. As with most guard prospects, more advanced in the running game right now than in pass blocking, but he shows the ability to be very measured, square up on his man, and stay balanced in his pass protection. Carries 325 pounds well and it is well-distributed throughout his frame without much bad weight.

The Class

Traore’s commitment brings the total class numbers to 18 and he joins Zion Nelson, Adam ElGammal, and Jakai Clark on the O-Line for 2019. It’s safe to say Miami is done at OL for 2019.

The Team

Miami’s offensive line situation has been untenable for the past few seasons now, and not much was really figured out in a 2019 spring ball full of injury and general ineffectiveness. That made the need for a game ready player like Traore apparent, and he will have every opportunity to earn major playing time, if not start, in 2019.

Traore comes in at guard, and while Navaughn Donaldson is entrenched at left guard, right guard is wide open for the taking after none of Zalon’tae Hillery, John Campbell, or Cleveland Reed took full control of the job in spring. While you never know how a JUCO will translate to major college football, with the spot Miami is in on the OL and with open scholarships, Traore is worth taking to see if he can contribute and he already has the size and experience to do just that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
From what I saw in the spring game the o line wasn't generally ineffective at all. Not where we want to be, and upgrades talent wise are needed, but I saw several clean pockets and a few nice holes for deejay and cam. Not an easy task for any o line vs our savage d line.

When it was 1st team OL vs 2nd team D. The 2nd team OL against our starting D couldn’t hold a block to save their lives.

The nice holes were also in part from our walk on 2nd string safeties and first time linebackers.

At the very least this guy should help sure up our second string OL, in case of a few injuries as the season progresses.

For a Juco prospect, his tape looks very good. He seems to have good mechanics and is very athletic. Let's hope it can translate to the FBS level.
i think its interesting that the big difference maker here seems to be our ability to take him for 2019 as opposed to 2020. is this because most schools are full for 2019? this one is going to be interesting to see play out.

Advertisement
i think its interesting that the big difference maker here seems to be our ability to take him for 2019 as opposed to 2020. is this because most schools are full for 2019? this one is going to be interesting to see play out.

yeah the other schools wanted him for 2020... he went to juco for more offers and balled manny said come play right away. hard to beat that.

That 2019 offensive line class ain’t looking so bad if this kid can at least be a serviceable guard. Nelson sounds like a future stud at tackle and Clark will be our future center. ElGammal is a major project so I’m not counting on him for much other than depth.

Advertisement
It is an intriguing add. With a combination of Donaldson, Reed, Gaynor and this guy on the interior we should be able to run the ball down the throat of all our Coastal opponents. Our pass blocking maybe suspect right now but our run blocking should over power everyone in the ACC besides Clemson. Plus we have a stable of RBs.

Advertisement
Reminds me of a Jimmy/Butch late signing!

Watching his film and he looks like a decent get. He’s dominating a lot of smaller guys through. Definitely another body but not totally sold on him.

Advertisement
Back