Class Impact: Marcus Fleming to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Miami Southridge WR Marcus Fleming committed to the Canes yesterday afternoon after receiving an offer two weekends back at UM's 7-on-7 camp on campus.

The 5-11, 175-pounder is a 3-star ranked #288 overall nationally, the #57 WR, and #38 in the Sunshine State on 247Sports. Fleming is a 3-star with no overall ranking on Rivals. His commitment only enhances Miami’s #1 ranked 2020 class on 247Sports. Rivals has not yet ranked the team classes for 2020.

The Player

Speed, speed, and more speed. That’s the best way to describe the flashy Fleming’s game and he can get behind a defense and cause trouble with ease. Send Fleming on a go-route and watch the sparks fly. While he profiles best as a slot dynamo, what sticks out most to me about his tape is how comfortable he seems playing on the outside at his size.

Fleming got his offer from the Canes two weekends back at their 7-on-7 camp on campus, but many wondered why Fleming didn’t already have an offer. I specifically asked a source close to the program about him the morning of the camp and I was told the coaches weren’t as concerned with his height as they were with his slight frame and build.

Well, Fleming certainly put those concerns to rest because by lunchtime, he had an offer from the Canes. Working mostly on the outside, he showed he wasn’t just a speedster, running some great routes and making some difficult grabs. Fleming even gave UM DB commit Henry Gray some issues, as the two traded great plays back and forth in their matchup.

The Class

Fleming’s commitment gives UM 8 total verbals in the 2020 class. Fleming now joins Champagnat Catholic (FL) 4-star Marc Britt at WR in Category20, giving UM some extremely dangerous speed to work with both on the outside and in the slot. While a lot depends on if the Canes end up taking another receiver in 2019, Miami has sent out a flurry of offers at receiver in recent weeks, and it is their most offered position so far in 2020.

So, who could be next to join the current pair? Keep an eye out for the newly offered St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 4-star Marcus Rosemy. He received his offer last weekend after showing out at Miami’s 7-on-7 camp on campus and it was long overdue; Rosemy was one of the most impressive players I saw on the camp-circuit this off-season and that’s reflected in his rise into the national top 50 overall. I also heard he was pondering a commitment to UM on Monday before backing off an early decision for the time being. If Rosemy really does want to be a Cane though, he’d be wise to jump on a spot while he still can in this very deep WR class.

Another the coaches really love is Palm Beach Central (FL) 4-star Bryan Robinson. Robinson in particular will be one to watch as a national top 100 player and someone that has shown a lot of interest in the Canes, visiting campus for Underclassman Day back in March.

On Deerfield Beach (FL) 3-star Deajaun McDougle, I’ve heard Miami is playing catch up a bit to Ohio State and others, but he’ll give Miami a look. McDougle has already been on campus for Underclassman Day.

As for outside the state, national top 25 talent and Lincoln-Way East (IL) 4-star AJ Henning also just received an offer last week, although not much is known about his true Miami interest at this time.

The Canes will also stay in touch with former commitments Vanguard (FL) 5-star Leonard Manuel and Marietta (GA) 4-star Jermaine Burton, but I don’t expect them to end up back with Miami at this time.

The Team

By 2020, Miami will lose veterans Darrell Langham, Ahmmon Richards, and Lawrence Cager to graduation, but WR is UM’s deepest position and they are well stocked to help offset any losses. Among others, Jeff Thomas is a future star and Brian Hightower proved he’s ready to make an impact as a freshman with his spring game performance.

Whether Miami takes another WR in 2019 or not, Fleming will have to be well-prepared both mentally and physically if he wants to crack the rotation as a freshman, as the competition is fierce for reps at WR. However, if he can show he’s ready to play, Ron Dugans will play him and is not shy to rotate frequently or play a younger player. Actually, Thomas’ freshman year would seem to be a best case scenario for Fleming’s debut season, and Fleming could use that to springboard himself into a major weapon during his sophomore campaign.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You know the best thing about his video? It's not the fact that it looks like he can run past about anyone on a go route, its that he looks like he plays bigger than his size. He might be only 5'11/175, but he plays like he's a few inches taller and a few pounds heavier - won multiple jump balls, made good catches on bad/underthrown balls, and even wrestled a sure interception away from a DB to get a first down. I'm a fan.

Welcome to The U!!!

I can see him getting his 4th star when it's all said n done

Now we just gotta keep him on board!!

Dugans has a great eye for talent. Glad he's on board. But these super early commits are a double edged sword.

I understand the concern about early commitments, but the only decommited kids that we didnt nudge out were all from outside south Florida.

Advertisement
Rosemy and Robinson would be an amazing addition to the 2 we have committed. I would continue to stay on Manuel and Burton and add them if want in.

Give me Robinson and Rosemy and call it a class for 2020. Britt, those two, and Fleming and I’m putting up a statue of Dugans if I’m Miami. Burton seems to be all Georgia and the only reason that I see us getting Manuel back is if he outgrows WR and turns into a tight end.

Advertisement
I understand the concern about early commitments, but the only decommited kids that we didnt nudge out were all from outside south Florida.

Looking at 247 decommits under Richt, some early commits that later decommitted that stand out to me are: CJ Henderson, Telfort, McKitty, Randy Russell, Jobe, Dent, Hunter (though he's not Dade/Broward/Palm)

I'm psyched he's committed. Has some great highlights. Just hope he sticks.

Give me Robinson and Rosemy and call it a class for 2020. Britt, those two, and Fleming and I’m putting up a statue of Dugans if I’m Miami. Burton seems to be all Georgia and the only reason that I see us getting Manuel back is if he outgrows WR and turns into a tight end.

Britt and Fleming committed, add Robinson or Rosemy or both AND we definitely can shut down the 2020 recruitment for WRs!! Burton and Manuel are both non-factors for me..

Looking at 247 decommits under Richt, some early commits that later decommitted that stand out to me are: CJ Henderson, Telfort, McKitty, Randy Russell, Jobe, Dent, Hunter (though he's not Dade/Broward/Palm)

I'm psyched he's committed. Has some great highlights. Just hope he sticks.

I see your point, I was thinking more of the '19 and '20 kids. Of those, $Dent$ is simply not coming here, and Hunter is a different type of cat, I think we are happy to move on.

Advertisement
I loathe these commits 1-3 years away....welcome to the family. Hope you don't get full of yourself.

2020 Miami Southridge WR Marcus Fleming committed to the Canes yesterday afternoon after receiving an offer two weekends back at UM's 7-on-7 camp on campus.

The 5-11, 175-pounder is a 3-star ranked #288 overall nationally, the #57 WR, and #38 in the Sunshine State on 247Sports. Fleming is a 3-star with no overall ranking on Rivals. His commitment only enhances Miami’s #1 ranked 2020 class on 247Sports. Rivals has not yet ranked the team classes for 2020.

The Player

Speed, speed, and more speed. That’s the best way to describe the flashy Fleming’s game and he can get behind a defense and cause trouble with ease. Send Fleming on a go-route and watch the sparks fly. While he profiles best as a slot dynamo, what sticks out most to me about his tape is how comfortable he seems playing on the outside at his size.

Fleming got his offer from the Canes two weekends back at their 7-on-7 camp on campus, but many wondered why Fleming didn’t already have an offer. I specifically asked a source close to the program about him the morning of the camp and I was told the coaches weren’t as concerned with his height as they were with his slight frame and build.

Well, Fleming certainly put those concerns to rest because by lunchtime, he had an offer from the Canes. Working mostly on the outside, he showed he wasn’t just a speedster, running some great routes and making some difficult grabs. Fleming even gave UM DB commit Henry Gray some issues, as the two traded great plays back and forth in their matchup.

The Class

Fleming’s commitment gives UM 8 total verbals in the 2020 class. Fleming now joins Champagnat Catholic (FL) 4-star Marc Britt at WR in Category20, giving UM some extremely dangerous speed to work with both on the outside and in the slot. While a lot depends on if the Canes end up taking another receiver in 2019, Miami has sent out a flurry of offers at receiver in recent weeks, and it is their most offered position so far in 2020.

So, who could be next to join the current pair? Keep an eye out for the newly offered St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 4-star Marcus Rosemy. He received his offer last weekend after showing out at Miami’s 7-on-7 camp on campus and it was long overdue; Rosemy was one of the most impressive players I saw on the camp-circuit this off-season and that’s reflected in his rise into the national top 50 overall. I also heard he was pondering a commitment to UM on Monday before backing off an early decision for the time being. If Rosemy really does want to be a Cane though, he’d be wise to jump on a spot while he still can in this very deep WR class.

Another the coaches really love is Palm Beach Central (FL) 4-star Bryan Robinson. Robinson in particular will be one to watch as a national top 100 player and someone that has shown a lot of interest in the Canes, visiting campus for Underclassman Day back in March.

On Deerfield Beach (FL) 3-star Deajaun McDougle, I’ve heard Miami is playing catch up a bit to Ohio State and others, but he’ll give Miami a look. McDougle has already been on campus for Underclassman Day.

As for outside the state, national top 25 talent and Lincoln-Way East (IL) 4-star AJ Henning also just received an offer last week, although not much is known about his true Miami interest at this time.

The Canes will also stay in touch with former commitments Vanguard (FL) 5-star Leonard Manuel and Marietta (GA) 4-star Jermaine Burton, but I don’t expect them to end up back with Miami at this time.

The Team

By 2020, Miami will lose veterans Darrell Langham, Ahmmon Richards, and Lawrence Cager to graduation, but WR is UM’s deepest position and they are well stocked to help offset any losses. Among others, Jeff Thomas is a future star and Brian Hightower proved he’s ready to make an impact as a freshman with his spring game performance.

Whether Miami takes another WR in 2019 or not, Fleming will have to be well-prepared both mentally and physically if he wants to crack the rotation as a freshman, as the competition is fierce for reps at WR. However, if he can show he’s ready to play, Ron Dugans will play him and is not shy to rotate frequently or play a younger player. Actually, Thomas’ freshman year would seem to be a best case scenario for Fleming’s debut season, and Fleming could use that to springboard himself into a major weapon during his sophomore campaign.

Portal

All ended up being busts so far

Crazy

Advertisement
Back