Class Impact: Marc Britt exits

Advertisement
It is one thing to miss on kids, or have kids decommit. That is just part of recruiting. Happens to the best of staffs.

But a recruiting infrastructure that consistently demonstrates a lack of a cohesive vision and strategy is unforgivable. Circling back around on Marc Britt, as a potential safety (when we were previously recruiting him as a WR, and only after losing out on other safety prospects), reeks of slapd!ck, seat-of-your-pants, no plan recruiting. Even if this ends up working out, which I guess it could, it seems like they'd be lucking into a fit rather than doing their due diligence and following any semblance of a recruiting strategy.

I agree their *** backwards strategy and lack of organization...BUT, I'm not sure it applies here? The kid wanted UF over UM? Also there was (and still is I believe) grades in question? Maybe the last 2 years at private schools have got him improved in that aspect?

Advertisement
I agree their *** backwards strategy and lack of organization...BUT, I'm not sure it applies here? The kid wanted UF over UM? Also there was (and still is I believe) grades in question? Maybe the last 2 years at private schools have got him improved in that aspect?

The grades rumor was definitely circulating at one point, so that may play a role. But I'm just generally more interested in how this kid went from WR commit, to UiF commit at WR, to a possible Safety commit (when WR is probably still a bigger need than Safety... unless we're playing musical chairs with our DBs again). Like, have we been evaluating him as a potential safety target throughout? Is this based on a late re-evaluation, or missing on other safety targets, or both? Does Britt fit the coaches' requirements/preferences at Safety (a very stressed position in our defense)? Do we even have such a thing?

Feels like Britt didn't sign with UiF + some random scramble + our general desperation for DB help (though, really, we need CBs) = circling back around on Britt at Safety. The whole thing is weird.

The grades rumor was definitely circulating at one point, so that may play a role. But I'm just generally more interested in how this kid went from WR commit, to UiF commit at WR, to a possible Safety commit (when WR is probably still a bigger need than Safety... unless we're playing musical chairs with our DBs again). Like, have we been evaluating him as a potential safety target throughout? Is this based on a late re-evaluation, or missing on other safety targets, or both? Does Britt fit the coaches' requirements/preferences at Safety (a very stressed position in our defense)? Do we even have such a thing?

Feels like Britt didn't sign with UiF + some random scramble + our general desperation for DB help (though, really, we need CBs) = circling back around on Britt at Safety. The whole thing is weird.

Miami’s recruiting summed up

Advertisement

pretty bad logic here. Good athlete that can play multiple positions was a long-time commit, then went to UF. That sucked. Now he might be available again. That is a good thing. Lots of examples of ****** recruiting (not as many as this board obsesses over, but still ...), but this is not one of them. Given how bad the on-field product is the recruiting has been really good. If they want this kid still, hope they can get him.

pretty bad logic here. Good athlete that can play multiple positions was a long-time commit, then went to UF. That sucked. Now he might be available again. That is a good thing. Lots of examples of ****** recruiting (not as many as this board obsesses over, but still ...), but this is not one of them. Given how bad the on-field product is the recruiting has been really good. If they want this kid still, hope they can get him.

Pretty bad reading comprehension. Nowhere did I type, one way or another, whether his commitment to UM, in and of itself, would be good or bad.

I understand that you may want to say, "BRitT iS a 4* sO GeT hiM hERe aNd noTHiNg elSe mATters," without regard to how we got here. But the strategic vision (or lack thereof) of our recruiting department is important for the long-term health of the program. My post questions the process. If you want actual examples of "bad logic," look no further than UM's recruiting department.

Pretty bad reading comprehension. Nowhere did I type, one way or another, whether his commitment to UM, in and of itself, would be good or bad.

I understand that you may want to say, "BRitT iS a 4* sO GeT hiM hERe aNd noTHiNg elSe mATters," without regard to how we got here. But the strategic vision (or lack thereof) of our recruiting department is important for the long-term health of the program. My post questions the process. If you want actual examples of "bad logic," look no further than UM's recruiting department.

You cannot over analyze the process when you are dealing with 17 year old divas in a corrupt environment. You really need to only focus on the results at the end of the cycle.

Advertisement
You cannot over analyze the process when you are dealing with 17 year old divas in a corrupt environment. You really need to only focus on the results at the end of the cycle.

Disagree with the contention that because we "are dealing with 17 year old divas in a corrupt environment," you can't analyze a program's recruiting strategy (or lack thereof). I also disagree with your assumption that these kids are "divas." Sure, some of them are, but most of them aren't.

If it was just one isolated incident, maybe we can yell "diva" or "bags" (both do exist). But it's more than that. Examples from this cycle alone:
1. Our staff told a local kid with interest in the program (Jesus Machado) at a position of need (LB) NOT TO VISIT in the early signing period. Why? They thought they had Flowe or Greene in the bag. Well, Flowe signed with Oregon, Greene signed with Nebraska, and Machado went to Tulane (bad move on his part, made possible by a stupid "all-eggs-in-one-basket" recruiting strategy).
2. We waited until late November to offer Ron Delancy. He is a kid who is respected among his peers, and UM decided to big-time him while hoping for a bunch of commits that weren't coming. He signed with Nebraska, too.
3. Jaidon Francois's recruitment. The whole saga. Summarized version: three decommits from one kid.
4. We (allegedly) drop Justin Hodges late in the cycle (sometime in October, I think). Contingency plan for his replacement? Nah, just offer the wrong kids late and hope for the best.
5. Marcus Fleming's recruitment. We complain about WR depth. We complaint about speed at WR. Well...
6. No commitable offer for Hyppolite. No real push to flip him (again, we thought we were going to land better prospects...LOL).
7. Parrish never received a commitable offer. This one ended up ok, because Knighton fell into the staff's lap. But it could have been disastrous. Our staff claimed they were only pursuing a second RB who they thought was elite, and Knighton was that guy. Fast-forward to Deejay declaring for the NFL and Lingard transferring. Had we not fallen backwards into Knighton, we'd have 3 scholarship RBs next year (Harris, Burns, Chaney). Even with Knighton, we're thin at the position.

This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure @Liberty City El or some of the more keyed in guys can cite to another half-dozen missteps by the staff in this recruiting cycle alone.

As far as the results, with over 80% of the 2020 recruits locked in for this cycle, they are as follows:
1. We have 2 OL recruits signed despite having one of the all-time worst OLs in our program's history;
2. We have a total of 8 scholarship WRs (counting the early signees);
3. We have a total of 5 scholarship CBs (again, counting the early signees), having signed only one kid with good traits but who is a project; and
4. We only managed 2 LB commits, despite the staff repeatedly saying they wanted 3 or 4 to address depth concerns.

The class is not horrible. Viewed in a vacuum, it's a solid class currently ranked at No. 18. But it's a well below average class for UM over the past 20 years for a non-transition class. It's a sub-par class for a supposed "bump year" class at UM. And the class has some holes at several positions of need (especially OL and CB).

Considering the foregoing, and the last two decades of mediocrity, I think it is more than fair to analyze/criticize "the process."

7593237.jpg

hope he has been eating

Advertisement
With Tae, most likely, coming on board. I can see him flipping back to UM.

Will be interesting to see which of those two ends up the better player at college. Britt seems pretty athletic for his highlights to me.

Advertisement
Back