Class Impact: Leonard Taylor to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
Watched some All-22 of our 2018 season and the DL was so much better than what we saw this year.

My initial reaction was sort of mixed when Simpson came back, but I'm convinced he's not just an upgrade over what we had at that spot, he's a massive upgrade.
How do you rate the talent of the DL 2018 vs. 2020? I’d almost say ‘18 was better overall. DE for ‘20 step better but the DT for ‘18 light years better.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Watched some All-22 of our 2018 season and the DL was so much better than what we saw this year.

My initial reaction was sort of mixed when Simpson came back, but I'm convinced he's not just an upgrade over what we had at that spot, he's a massive upgrade.
What in particular stood out?

Advertisement
Between Jess coming back, T-Rob taking over the DBS, and Manny back to calling defense, do you think we can get back to a top 10-15 caliber defense?
Assuming you're meaning in something like Expected Points Added per play, not without massive LB improvement. If yards, no chance with how fast our offense plays (means more plays for both teams).

I do believe the defense will be improved overall. We have more age, additional athleticism with Stevenson, and a good group of recruits, which may include Avante.

Better coaching as well.

Advertisement
I posted a couple weeks ago nothing was official and he could still EE. Not sure which pay site was saying he wouldn’t be able to.
No idea where it originally started. Regardless, huge to have him in early, he's going to have a monster freshman season especially getting coached up by Jess now

Assuming you're meaning in something like Expected Points Added per play, not without massive LB improvement. If yards, no chance with how fast our offense plays (means more plays for both teams).

I do believe the defense will be improved overall. We have more age, additional athleticism with Stevenson, and a good group of recruits, which may include Avante.

Better coaching as well.

What is with the may include Avante? I thought @Cribby said he was cleared and good to go. Is he still not expected to play?

Better understanding of leverage, gap-integrity, technique (i.e. 1-tech, 3-tech, etc.) and much better hand usage.
These are the very things I've been complaining were missing with Stroud coaching the DL. I don't want to dump on Stroud - guy has health issues, recruits well and seems like a decent guy, but for anyone paying attention, ever since Jess left, our DL simply doesn't play with all of the things you mentioned.

Our overall talent at DE takes a step back from this year. But, with Jess's coaching, the DT position will take a major step forward and the next result will be the most dominant DL since he left in 2018 and potentially the best since 2003. Also, the DE's may not have J-Phil's natural talent, but I do expect them to play with better technique, leverage, etc.

Make no mistake, we will have dominant DT play across the board 4 deep for the 1st time in a long long time. And, if ever Nesta had an opportunity to take that last step into the elite status and Ford into draftability, it's this year under Simpson.

Advertisement
I posted a couple weeks ago nothing was official and he could still EE. Not sure which pay site was saying he wouldn’t be able to.
He had actually posted about it himself. Thankfully it looks like that changed though.

This is true. I remember you mentioned it. Not that you need my validation lol. But fwiw

were we better because of talent in 2018 at our DT spot or you think it was scheme more than a talent difference?

Advertisement
Back