Class Impact: Leonard Manuel exits

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Vanguard WR Leonard Manuel decommitted from Miami on Tuesday morning.

The 6-4, 200-pounder is a 4-star ranked #13 overall nationally, the #2 WR, and #1 in the Sunshine State on 247Sports. Manuel is a 5-star with no overall ranking on Rivals. His decommitment does not change Miami’s #1 ranked 2020 class on 247Sports. Rivals has not yet ranked the team classes for 2020.

The Background

This is now the fourth decommitment in a month for UM overall, but the first departure from the 2020 class. Whether or not the all of the decommitments were takes at the time isn’t relevant to the fact that this upheaval is a bad look for Miami recruiting. While a talent such as Manuel parting ways with Miami is never good at any time, Manuel is leaving Category20 right now at the absolute worst possible moment and further plunges UM's momentum on the trail that was so nicely boosted after Underclassman Day less than 3 weeks back, so this is the icing on the top of an inedible holiday fruit cake.

Manuel is no stranger to decommitments though, having previously been committed to Tennessee before Miami. Manuel was UM’s top ranked commitment in any class and considered the top player in Florida for 2020. He committed to the Canes back in November coming off the high of his visit for the Notre Dame game, in part to rejoin his good friend and former QB at Vanguard N’Kosi Perry at “the U”. Since that time, Manuel has been taking visits all over the country, stopping in at FSU, UF, and USC before finally landing at Georgia this past weekend. Apparently, one or more of those schools convinced him to take a step back and open up his recruitment, as he took references of his UM commitment out of his Twitter bio a few weeks back.

Manuel was also lobbying the Miami staff to take his class of 2019 teammate, 3-star RB Glover Cook, but the Canes wanted no part of Cook with this cycle loaded at RB in South Florida; it’s unknown if this played a role in his departure.

Future of the Class

Manuel's decommitment brings the total class numbers down to 8. It’s true, you always want to be locking down the best of the best in your state, so there’s no argument that this stings. But, the reality is that if Miami could afford a decommitment from anywhere, it’s WR. It’s the deepest position on the team, and in 2020 alone, UM has elite talents on board in Champagnat-Catholic (FL) 4-star Marc Britt and Marietta (GA) 4-star Jermaine Burton. While we’ll have to put thoughts of “best receiver class of all-time” on hold for a bit, and that’s sad, the Canes are still more than okay at the receiver position in Category20.

The Canes previously thought they were set at receiver in the 2020 class with the dominant trio of Manuel, Burton, and Britt, so WR recruiting had come to a standstill in the cycle. At this time, we do expect the Canes to continue to fight to get Manuel back into the class, but the rate of players that leave a class only to recommit later is very low.

While a lot depends on how many receivers the Canes end up taking in 2019, expect traction to pick up with 2020 offerees Palm Beach Central (FL) 4-star Bryan Robinson and Columbus (FL) 3-star Xzavier Henderson. Robinson in particular will be one to watch as a national top 100 player and someone that has shown a lot of interest in the Canes, visiting campus for Underclassman Day a few weeks back.

In terms of new offers you could see go out, keep your eye on two Marcus’: that’d be St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 4-star Marcus Rosemy and Miami Southridge (FL) 3-star Marcus Fleming. Rosemy has been absolutely dominant on the camp circuit this spring and Fleming has not been shy about his UM interest, constantly making Miami-positive posts on Twitter. Both also stopped in to see Coral Gables for Underclassman day.

Advertisement
@Stefan Adams whats your thoughts about Tre'von Riggins at this time? Is he the next recruit to most likely step back and view his options by decommiting?

Kids play on twitter all the time, especially when they have friends that play at/are committed to other schools. In a sense, "where there's smoke there's fire" applies and it's something to keep an eye on, but keep in mind Riggins was at the spring game this weekend unlike Manuel and is a different type of kid, very upstanding. These are his comments to me about a month ago about his and the rest of the class' commitments.

"We are solid young men, we know what we want. So I just feel like that was the best choice for us, I know it was the best choice for me right now. I just feel like Miami’s gonna keep going uphill.”

“Miami is just special. Plus, all the commits are solid guys, stand on their word. When you commit so early, you gotta make sure you’re gonna stick with it.”

Obviously this didn't end up applying to Manuel, but I think it's telling that he gave this strong response instead of just saying "I'm 100% committed"

Part of me feels like he just wants to enjoy the recruitment process.. I think he’ll end up a cane no matter what

Advertisement
Disappointing about Manuel, but with Dugans handling the WRs, I'm just not concerned with the group.

It's the deepest position on the team and I'm confident he'll either get Manuel back on board or find a very solid replacement, like one of the local guys in the '20 class.

He seems a bit overrated. Maybe it’s just me. He’s huge but he seems kind of slow and not explosive at all. That’s just me though.

Not to downplay the situation or anything but I’ve always felt that Manuel would grow into a TE at some point. He’s a stud regardless, two-sport star. I think Miami will be fine though.

Advertisement
Until someone does something about the$EC and it’s payoffs, we’ll always have problems landing 5 star players. Not likely to happen anytime soon with that pig Emmert in charge.

Advertisement
He seems a bit overrated. Maybe it’s just me. He’s huge but he seems kind of slow and not explosive at all. That’s just me though.

He's big and he runs like a deer. He does show some stiffness coming out of breaks so I wouldn't treat him as a can't miss 5*. He's like Darrell Langham physically, but probably faster.

Stinks and I agree with you that the percentages don't favor him coming back. That being said why don't we try something new. Completely shut him out. No contact, no mention, absolutely move on. Quality wide receivers are abundant.

Advertisement
We talking about a 2020 kid . I mean really who cares at this point. And I feel the same way about a 2020 commit as I do a decommit. Neither mean jack. Why commit that early anyway. Enjoy the ride , get your 5 visits ect.

I always thought the only way he'd stay in the class was if Perry was the guy at QB. Also, when a kid has already decommitted once, you never can feel to sure, especially when it's a 5*. SEC schools and FSU/Clemson are alway going to look for a way in, whether it's bags or as a package deal with some ****** family member or friend.

I'd offer up Rosemy immediately. Not much, if any, of a drop off from Manuel to him

Advertisement
Back