Class Impact: James Williams exits

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 American Heritage S James Williams decommitted from Miami this afternoon.

The 6-5, 220-pounder is currently 4-star prospect according to 247Sports, the only service with 2021 rankings at this point. According to 247, Williams is the #11 player nationally, the #1 S in the country, and the #3 player in the Sunshine state. His decommitment does not change Miami’s #1 2021 class ranking on 247Sports.

The Background

Williams has been committed to the Canes for over a year now, and he was Miami’s first commitment in the 2021 class back in March of 2018, just two months after receiving his offer. Williams was considered a solid commitment and leader in the class, proving to be very active on social media recruiting other players and posting pro-Miami material. However, in the past year, Williams’ recruiting profile has exploded, and interested programs now include national powers Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, and LSU among many others. That was enough to get Williams to take a step back and open things up a bit more. This is Miami’s first decommit from the 2021 class and it is no doubt a big blow.

Future of the Class

Williams’ departure leaves 8 commits in the 2021 class, but I expect UM will continue to pursue him. Miami is now back to square one at safety, but there are a few options that are already on the board aside from Williams.

Miami Northwestern (FL) 3-star Kamren Kinchens was offered in February, and he has already made 5 visits in 2019, the most recent of which came for the spring scrimmage at Traz Powell last month. Most believe it is a matter of time before Kinchens pulls the trigger for Miami and I have already put a pick in for him to UM. LSU, Oregon, Nebraska, Louisville, and Utah are also involved here. Another recent safety offer went out to Florida State University School (FL) 4-star Ahmari Harvey, who seems high on Miami in the early going. Being in the heart of Tallahassee, though, Harvey is going to be a difficult pull away from the Seminoles.

That’s about it for traditional safeties on the board, but Woodstock (GA) 4-star ATH David Daniel, who plays a lot of safety and could project there at the next level, did receive an offer this spring. Daniel is already tracking as a blue-chip recruit with offers from Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, LSU, and Michigan among others. The Canes need to get him on campus before they are considered a serious contender here, though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Following recruiting is my guilty pleasure. I wish I could cut cold turkey and never think or care about it again. These 16-18 year old boys mess with my emotions too much lol. Good luck to this kid, we got a spot for him in the future!

Yall do realize he said he is still committed to Miami? Lol

wut.PNG

Doesn't say in capital letters that he is DE-COMMITTED?

Advertisement
My bad fellas, someone retweeted where he said he would stay committed and that was from December 🤣🤣🤣 ****

Advertisement
Not worried in the least. Win the season, find our QB of the future, close on a Top 10 Class for 2020. The 2021 kids will be tripping over themselves to commit at that point. Got to win on the field and be relevant again ... and not look like dogshyt on offense.

10/11 wins with wins over FSU and UF and we will be back in the driver seat when we lock into the 2021 class next year

Just keep tabs and let’s handle business on the field

Advertisement
Could care less about 2021 kid right now. **** he could easily jump back on board later. Just doesn't matter. The main reason I have zero interest in getting commits 3 years before a kid can show up even. 12 months out is fine but 2-3 years is too sketchy. But it is just part of recruiting .

Advertisement
Back