Class Impact: Jakai Clark to Miami

View as article
Grayson is well-followed program in all of SEC country, including South Louisiana. It’s well-known that Owen Pappoe was the crown jewel at grayson this year and many teams were doing whatever they could to get to him. A few schools offered Clark to get to Pappoe, including West Virginia and Auburn. Not sure what Illinois intentions were but you have to be kidding yourself if you think this kid would fit into West Virginia’s schemes.

Once Auburn got to Pappoe and locked him down, Clark was out. I just hope our staff was aware of the background of his recruiting and that the only reason he was a three-star recruit was because of the offers he received, which were offers used to get Pappoe

Advertisement
Grayson is well-followed program in all of SEC country, including South Louisiana. It’s well-known that Owen Pappoe was the crown jewel at grayson this year and many teams were doing whatever they could to get to him. A few schools offered Clark to get to Pappoe, including West Virginia and Auburn. Not sure what Illinois intentions were but you have to be kidding yourself if you think this kid would fit into West Virginia’s schemes.

Once Auburn got to Pappoe and locked him down, Clark was out. I just hope our staff was aware of the background of his recruiting and that the only reason he was a three-star recruit was because of the offers he received, which were offers used to get Pappoe
So your a o line coach somewhere

So your a o line coach somewhere

Along with everyone else that lives in SEC Country and pays attention, I’ve been familiar with the recruitment of Pappoe since he was in junior high. Considering that at one point he listed FSU in his Top 3 (few years ago), I thought he would be more well known in SoFla.

Along with everyone else that lives in SEC Country and pays attention, I’ve been familiar with the recruitment of Pappoe since he was in junior high. Considering that at one point he listed FSU in his Top 3 (few years ago), I thought he would be more well known in SoFla.
We know who he is... Were talking about Clark

Advertisement
We know who he is... Were talking about Clark

You can’t talk about Clark’s recruiting without talking about Pappoe. That’s the point.

But here’s a common scoop on Clark: Wide body run blocker always looking to put someone on the ground, but usually at the expense of missing his assignment. 5-Star OT Wanya Morris and 4-Star OT Trente Jones we’re often seen covering his missed assignments. Huge liability pass blocking.

Terrible OL recruiting. Horrific actually. Can’t land local OL studs who have legit offers and who are running away from UM. UM then has to turn over rocks and sign average guys..wow!

Advertisement
You can’t talk about Clark’s recruiting without talking about Pappoe. That’s the point.

But here’s a common scoop on Clark: Wide body run blocker always looking to put someone on the ground, but usually at the expense of missing his assignment. 5-Star OT Wanya Morris and 4-Star OT Trente Jones we’re often seen covering his missed assignments. Huge liability pass blocking.

Wasn't as impressed with Trente Jones as I expected to be (Wanya Morris is excellent but needs to remake his body some and unlock his natural bend and flexibility). Clark honestly covered for Jones' mistakes several times in this game against their rival, Archer. I will simply say that I disagree with your assessment based on what I've watched. I'm always eager to learn when I have something wrong though, so I would welcome your feedback.

https://www.canesinsight.com/news/film-review--jakai-clark.6025/

Wasn't as impressed with Trente Jones as I expected to be (Wanya Morris is excellent but needs to remake his body some and unlock his natural bend and flexibility). Clark honestly covered for Jones' mistakes several times in this game against their rival, Archer. I will simply say that I disagree with your assessment based on what I've watched. I'm always eager to learn when I have something wrong though, so I would welcome your feedback.

https://www.canesinsight.com/news/film-review--jakai-clark.6025/

Maybe check out Wanya’s film where there is a bit more pass plays. Not necessarily my assessment but the opinions as to why he wasn’t looked at by anyone. I hope he pans out. Assessing OL is **** near impossible.

Sure, the snippets of the one game where they ran the ball the entire game prove your point (except I’m not sure about Clark covering Trente- although I agree with you on your assessment of him - but he could be saving himself for Michigan - you never know). I have only seen Clark from Wanya’s films, Colquitt game, and the Lowndes game.

Listen, I respect your opinion and I’m not going to spend too much effort pointing out the negatives of a 17-18 year kid, a OL to boot. He’s an impressive HS smash mouth center. But that’s it.

This Grayson team was LOADED and got beat by two average teams. The playoff lost was entirely on the inside OL. No excuse for that team only putting up 15 against Lowndes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, the snippets of the one game where they ran the ball the entire game prove your point (except I’m not sure about Clark covering Trente- although I agree with you on your assessment of him - but he could be saving himself for Michigan - you never know). I have only seen Clark from Wanya’s films, Colquitt game, and the Lowndes game.

They had three TD passes in the game. They certainly threw the ball some.

Twice I saw them pull the RG and the RT was supposed to down block on the DE and Clark actually had the quickness and awareness to see it and push that guy wide- a kid going to Auburn, so not a scrub. His responsibility was to release to the LB but he changed when he saw the free rusher and got there to save the play.

A C can save the T’s by coming across and saving the inside shoulder on a counter move when the T oversets. A smart and aware C makes the entire OL better.

He’s a C to me, but I could see G if he learns to use his hands.

They had three TD passes in the game. They certainly threw the ball some.

Twice I saw them pull the RG and the RT was supposed to down block on the DE and Clark actually had the quickness and awareness to see it and push that guy wide- a kid going to Auburn, so not a scrub. His responsibility was to release to the LB but he changed when he saw the free rusher and got there to save the play.

A C can save the T’s by coming across and saving the inside shoulder on a counter move when the T oversets. A smart and aware C makes the entire OL better.

He’s a C to me, but I could see G if he learns to use his hands.

I’ll take your word on it that he had a good game. I’m simply not watching. I’ve seen enough to know that Grayson was easily the most underperforming OL in high school football in the country this season. Maybe not so much his fault and I just saw bad snippets. I’ll just hope that you are right.

Be honest - I’ve read all your stuff - is your main reason for being high on the kid is that he is always looking for work and doesn’t put his head down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
I’ll take your word on it that he had a good game. I’m simply not watching. I’ve seen enough to know that Grayson was easily the most underperforming OL in high school football in the country this season. Maybe not so much his fault and I just saw bad snippets. I’ll just hope that you are right.

Be honest - I’ve read all your stuff - is your main reason for being high on the kid is that he is always looking for work and doesn’t put his head down?

I truly wouldn’t say I’m high on the kid. I have posted that I’d rather have Maurice Smith and Kingsley.

For me, we are in scramble mode and he has tools to work with. If he gets good coaching, he can be something. If he doesn’t, he’s probably going to end up being a reach.

I’m just calling it like I see it. If you get a chance to read my review of the kid, I’d say I’m pretty much even on praise and criticism. Most takes for me in recruiting would have far more positives than opportunities.

2019 Grayson (GA) offensive center Jakai Clark committed to Miami today coming off his UM official visit this weekend, flipping his pledge from Illinois...

The 6-3 305 pounder is a consensus 3-star prospect right now. According to the 247Composite, Clark is the #1,457 player overall, the #14 ranked center in the country, and the 136th best player in the Peach State. His commitment moves Miami’s 2019 class ranking to #29 on 247Sports and #33 on Rivals.....

The Class

Clark is the 15th commit overall in the 2019 class, the first offensive lineman, and the first center. The Canes are likely done at center, and this also likely closes the book on Maurice Smith’s chances to join the class. The center from Miami Central was offered a visit this weekend, but turned Miami down to go to BC instead. Smith had his shot, but just didn’t show enough interest to make UM feel comfortable waiting on him, so they took the “sure thing” with Clark instead........

Maurice made a huge mistake in not jumping on the Miami offer. An the adults guiding him did him a disservice by not telling him to just move past his ego an make a 40 year decision. BC is a good school if he is staying in the northeast for the rest of his life.

Hopefully Smith finds a way to make it into Miami's 2019 class.

Boston is VERY DIFFERENT CULTURALLY THAN MIAMI! I know first hand, because one of my college roommates worked as a Residence Hall Director at BC during grad school to cover tuition. That beantown life is not for everyone, full disclosure that Boston Becky from the townie ladies is wicked good I am not going to lie.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why is it that centers are usually the weakest physically on the line even though they tend to lineup over the strongest, physically, defensive player at defensive tackle? Always befuddles me.

Because they get a lot of help on the inside and a lot of double team blocks

Maurice made a huge mistake in not jumping on the Miami offer. An the adults guiding him did him a disservice by not telling him to just move past his ego an make a 40 year decision. BC is a good school if he is staying in the northeast for the rest of his life.

Hopefully Smith finds a way to make it into Miami's 2019 class. Boston is VERY DIFFERENT CULTURALLY THAN MIAMI! An one of college roommates was Res Dir at BC during grad school.

Go Canes
BC has good line coaching but still Stacy might be gone by the time he’s a junior so he could still get solid coaching here too

Advertisement
Back