Class Impact: Jaiden Francois to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 South Dade (FL) S Jaiden Francois committed to the Canes on Friday night after visiting campus with his teammates at Paradise Camp.

The 6-0, 180-pounder is currently unranked in the national rankings. His commitment keeps Miami’s class ranking to #1 overall on 247Sports and Rivals.

The Player

Francois is somebody Miami identified early on as a player they’d love to add to Category20 and for good reason: Francois shows on tape that he has a nose for the football and displays an impeccable football IQ. He played mostly safety and nickel for South Dade last season, and he is comfortable oscillating back and forth from the box to playing deep. However, he is at his best when making plays around the line of scrimmage. Francois was timed this summer at 4.46 seconds in the 40 as well. He will be a riser in the rankings very shortly.

Watching him up close at Paradise Camp made me an even bigger fan of his game. Francois was the best DB at the event and even showed off some positional versatility by working at boundary corner as well. What impressed me the most is that Francois is best known for his work inside the box and making plays at the line, but showed at camp he can run and cover with just about anyone. Francois had multiple interceptions as well, demonstrating great ball skills. He can really do it all and he’s a future star for the Canes.

The Class

Francois’ commitment brought the total class numbers to 9 (at the time) and he was the first safety commit in Category20 (since joined by teammate Keshawn Washington). Francois’ recruitment didn’t last very long, as he was offered in early May, so it took him just over two months to decide Miami was the right fit for him. It was awesome to see him and his close friends and teammates Washington and Jonathan Denis commit back-to-back-to-back like that, and they’ll all take their bond and undoubtedly further the feeling brotherhood on this team.

It’s unclear where Miami will go at safety in 2020 after this rapid development, but a lot depends on if Francois and Washington stick at this position. Francois played mostly safety and nickel at South Dade last season, but played some boundary corner at Paradise and looked like a natural at the position, while many have already projected Washington to outgrow DB and develop into a striker or a traditional linebacker.

As for other safeties that could join the class, recent 4-star decommitment Avantae Williams from DeLand (FL) is a name to keep on the radar. The Canes have continued to stay on him despite him opening things up and, although he was UM’s original top target at safety in this class, his mediocre season at IMG Academy (since transferred) has given some around the program pause. If he truly wants to be a Cane, these recent South Dade commits may have opened his eyes a little bit in terms of his spot not always being there for him to take whenever he wants. Marietta (GA) 4-star Rashad Torrence has an offer, but it’s a little unclear how much mutual interest is there between both parties at this time.

As for a wildcard at the position, look no further than 3-star ATH Xavier Restrepo from St. Thomas Aquinas (FL). The two-way athlete has lit up the camp scene this spring mainly at WR, but his tape screams impact safety in college. Restrepo is keeping things open for now, but the Canes were his childhood favorite and will be tough to beat here if they push for him.

The Team

By the time Francois hits campus in 2020, Miami will (at this time) have three other safeties on campus in senior Amari Carter, junior Gurvan Hall, and sophomore Keontra Smith. There’s also a good chance that UM adds another safety to pair with Smith for the 2019 class. That seems like a solid group, depending on if everyone develops properly. If the Carter/Hall/Smith combo is as good as advertised, it’s safe to say that Francois will take an apprentice role as a freshman at Miami, and has a good chance to play some nickel in certain situations as well. After Carter leaves in 2021, there’s a starting spot open for Francois or whoever else Miami recruits. With his ability, there’s no reason Francois shouldn’t be starting at least somewhere in the defensive backfield by the time he’s an upperclassman.

Advertisement
Stud!!!

Also there’s mixed reports about Avantae being on campus this weekend.

Last edited:
Relatively unknown prior to this camp. Won't be so from now on and he will be watched by other this season. Ranking will not be a problem but fighting off other D-1 schools who want him will be.

Give Banda credit for getting he and Washington, probably the two most versatile db's in south Florida outside of Henry Gray in the 2020 class.

Advertisement
Give Banda credit for getting he and Washington, probably the two most versatile db's in south Florida outside of Henry Gray in the 2020 class.
For sure, I think Washington will play that striker lb/safety hybrid for Miami.

But if they can
Get
Cb Henry gray
Safety Jaiden Francois
Safety avontae Williams
Striker Keshawn Washington
Cb Fred Davis

That would be an elite group
Ath caziah Holmes

For sure, I think Washington will play that striker lb/safety hybrid for Miami.

But if they can
Get
Cb Henry gray
Safety Jaiden Francois
Safety avontae Williams
Striker Keshawn Washington
Cb Fred Davis

That would be an elite group
Ath caziah Holmes

I would not count out Keshawn Washington as a pure safety at this moment at all. I know everyone has assumed OLB or striker off small sample of Hudl before but I’m very convinced this kid can be a pure safety at Miami too. I watched him up close at Paradise and he just has incredible range and length and good speed to go with his size. He was actually my top safety at the event. Long wiry frame, when he was playing some corner he gave **** to a lot of WRs with his press coverage. He was jamming almost anyone who challenged him at the line. He does posses the ability to move down and play OLB or Striker but I left the camp feeling his future is at safety, at least right now. His frame kind of reminds me of Redwine when he was at Killian, but he’s actually longer than Redwine and a bit faster than he was at that stage too.

Jaiden told me when I interviewed him he actually likes corner more and that’s where he played most of the night at Paradise. He can play boundary corner, the nickel or in the box. They are just recruiting him as a DB, figure it out when he gets here.

One guy you left out on there that they have been pursuing. They really like Jayion McCluster at safety.

Henry is a beast too like the South Dade boys, he was playing corner most of the night but he does have ability to play safety as well. He played some safety last year with Miramar.

All of these guys are very versatile. They are recruiting Caziah as an ATH as you mentioned, he’s got great length and tremendous speed.

I would not count out Keshawn Washington as a pure safety at this moment at all. I know everyone has assumed OLB or striker off small sample of Hudl before but I’m very convinced this kid can be a pure safety at Miami too. I watched him up close at Paradise and he just has incredible range and length and good speed to go with his size. He was actually my top safety at the event. Long wiry frame, when he was playing some corner he gave **** to a lot of WRs with his press coverage. He was jamming almost anyone who challenged him at the line. He does posses the ability to move down and play OLB or Striker but I left the camp feeling his future is at safety, at least right now. His frame kind of reminds me of Redwine when he was at Killian, but he’s actually longer than Redwine and a bit faster than he was at that stage too.

Jaiden told me when I interviewed him he actually likes corner more and that’s where he played most of the night at Paradise. He can play boundary corner, the nickel or in the box. They are just recruiting him as a DB, figure it out when he gets here.

One guy you left out on there that they have been pursuing. They really like Jayion McCluster at safety.

Henry is a beast too like the South Dade boys, he was playing corner most of the night but he does have ability to play safety as well. He played some safety last year with Miramar.

All of these guys are very versatile. They are recruiting Caziah as an ATH as you mentioned, he’s got great length and tremendous speed.
I was mainly thinking the hybrid position for Washington because I was Reading an article from his coach saying he may grow into a linebacker with his frame

I was mainly thinking the hybrid position for Washington because I was Reading an article from his coach saying he may grow into a linebacker with his frame

I could see that more with James Williams, he’s a really big kid. Has really good speed at his size too, he had some struggles but he showed some flashes too. He’s still young but I think he would be dominant as a OLB or in the Striker role.

Washington very thin right now, he does have the frame to add more weight but idk if he would end up at OLB. Could see him at striker too aside from Safety. I was just blown away with his length and his range and his press coverage. He is a stud, big kudos to staff for trusting their evaluations on him and Jaiden cause it showed at Paradise.

Advertisement
Can we get some sort of estimated confirmation as to the measurables of Francois and Washington?

Particularly with Washington, he seems to be listed everywhere from 170 to 190. If he's a legit 6'3, 170 would be rail thin. He def seems thin right now, but from the video and pics at Paradise, I don't see how 170 can be accurate given his 6'3 frame.

Can we get some sort of estimated confirmation as to the measurables of Francois and Washington?

Particularly with Washington, he seems to be listed everywhere from 170 to 190. If he's a legit 6'3, 170 would be rail thin. He def seems thin right now, but from the video and pics at Paradise, I don't see how 170 can be accurate given his 6'3 frame.

Off the eyeball test. 6’2”-6’3” is accurate. 180 is accurate.

Jaiden something like 5’10”-5’11” 170-180 as well.

6'3 170 isnt skinny for a 15/16 year old.

Advertisement

Do you know if were looking at Benjamin Onwuzo a 2020 guy from Chaminade 6-0.5 185 been reading he's big time and plays mostly corner but has versatility ?

Last edited:
Washington will look like a grown a$$ man by the end of his Sr year in HS. He looks like a Sr right now. I liked his highlight tape and how active he was playing center field and in the box sometimes. Esp for a HS sophomore. Look forward to following his progression.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back