Class Impact: Isaiah Dunson to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Last week, 2020 Tucker (GA) CB Isaiah Dunson committed to the Hurricanes following his official visit to Coral Gables.

The 6-2, 180-pounder is currently a consensus 4-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Composite, Dunson is the #322 player nationally, the #22 CB in the country, and the #32 player in Georgia. Dunson's commitment moves Miami up to the #17 overall class in the team rankings on 247Sports and #14 overall on Rivals.

The Player

Following a strong sophomore season, Dunson earned offers from Power 5 schools like South Carolina, Nebraska, Louisville, UNC, and NC State. However, the offer he really wanted was from the Florida State Seminoles, which he landed in May of 2018. It wasn’t long until he committed to FSU in August of 2018 and he maintained that pledge for over a year until Willie Taggart got fired in November of 2019. A day later, Dunson was back on the market, and started being pursued by Miami, Texas, and Ole Miss. After putting off signing early, he scheduled official visits to all three of those schools in January, but a strong OV to Miami last weekend led to him shutting things down and committing to the Canes.

Dunson has the prototypical size at 6’2” that many scouts are salivating over these days and is definitely a “new age” corner. He’s a true athlete that doubles as a dominant deep threat receiver for Tucker HS, and you can see how some of his abilities on offense easily translate to defense, such as the ability to high-point the ball. He’s a ball tracker that attacks the rock at its highest point and uses his leaping ability to snag the interception or TD. Brings incredible physicality on the outside of a defense. Striking speed to go along with a long frame and strong build. Has the aggressive demeanor to jam a receiver into oblivion. Lives in his man’s hip pocket and is tough to separate from. Above-average tackler that profiles as an asset in the run game and could lock down the edge of a defense. Breaks on the ball well, closes on throws anywhere near his area, and lets the QB’s eyes guide him around the gridiron, which (along with his length) led to a ton of PBU’s on film.

As a senior in 2019, he recorded 10 TD’s on offense and 3 INT’s on defense. At the Opening Atlanta Regional in March, he posted a 4.22 shuttle time and a 33.19 inch vertical leap.

The Class

Dunson was the 20th overall commit in the class (at the time) and he is the second cornerback in the class along with Winter Park (FL) 3-star CB Marcus Clarke. The Canes have recruited various other corners during the cycle, but with UM having only 1-2 spots left in the class and nobody scheduled to visit on the final weekend before signing day, it’s very likely they are done at the position in Category20.

The Team

The Canes took a big hit when Trajan Bandy left school early for the NFL, as he had been UM’s most consistent corner the past two seasons. The other concerning aspect of that move is that Miami simply doesn’t have a lot of numbers at the position. The good news is all four returnees in Al Blades, DJ Ivey, Christian Williams, and Te’Cory Couch saw playing time in 2019, and all four were 4-star talents.

Dunson, (and his classmate Clarke) will only be needed to play a part-time reserve role in 2020, however, the door is technically open for a starting job or two, since it didn’t appear like Blades or Ivey really solidified the #2 role last season. Dunson is also more physically college ready than his classmate Clarke, who is more of a developmental prospect at the position. If Dunson comes in and shows he is a transcendent talent and is advanced at the mental side of the game on day 1, you can’t rule out him being a prominent part of this secondary by season’s end. Because he’s a summer enrollee, though, Dunson’s chances of passing up UM’s four talented returnees by September are going to be diminished.

Advertisement
This kid is a prototypical boundary corner. He is a true football player. What I mean by that is he does everything well. He is not elite in any aspect but he enjoys the game. His passion is evident in the film. Great size, good feet and he has excellent instincts. He's not a burner in terms of straight-line speed so he'll need safety help over the top but should be able to lock his guy down in the red zone (less area to cover). His shuttle and vertical tell me he will get faster and more explosive as an athlete after working with Feeley.

Advertisement
In 10th grade his last year he participated in HS track he posted a 24.43 in only two meets he entered (dropping almost a full second from 25.30 in the first meet) but he specialized in the long jumped and made 22'5" to meet the national HS elite level.

Yeah that’s slow knowing you said gr10.
You’re looking at a 4.8 type, but he could have gotten faster. The 200 helps longer dudes like him too.

Yeah that’s slow knowing you said gr10.
You’re looking at a 4.8 type, but he could have gotten faster. The 200 helps longer dudes like him too.
Yea I don’t think the OP needed to add his 10th grade times but I assume they were saying it was decent times for a 10th grader but they are slow in the grander scheme of things. However, he looks faster on film. I like this pick up.

Yea I don’t think the OP needed to add his 10th grade times but I assume they were saying it was decent times for a 10th grader but they are slow in the grander scheme of things. However, he looks faster on film. I like this pick up.
OP didn't add it some mental midget did

Advertisement
Read the OP piost 10th gradew as the last year he participated in track and the marks were not that bad. Kids get faster than slower at that age. It gives some indication of his play speed now. Read between the lines!

Read the OP piost 10th gradew as the last year he participated in track and the marks were not that bad. Kids get faster than slower at that age. It gives some indication of his play speed now. Read between the lines!
Exactly what I was thinking...What he supposed do make up junior or senior times? Man some people must not have ever run track.

Advertisement
OP probably used it as a comparison to show how much faster he is now as speed develops with age. Anyone that has seriously participated in HS track knows that. **** I ran in the upper 23s as a sophomore and as a senior was in the lower 22s.

Advertisement

Yes that’s what I was saying. I assumed the poster was saying if he ran those times as a 10th grader then he’s even faster now. I think we’re saying the same thing. That’s why I stated in another post that he wasn’t being critical of the kid.

Advertisement
Back