Class Impact: Elijah Roberts exits

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Columbus (FL) DE Elijah Roberts decommitted from Miami on Monday night.

The 6-3, 240-pounder is a 3-star ranked #471 overall nationally, the #18 DE, and #62 in the Sunshine State in the 247Sports Composite. His decommitment does not change Miami’s #1 class in 2020 on 247Sports or Rivals.

The Background

Roberts committed to Miami in June after spending the day at a Mark Richt summer camp. Roberts originally wanted to commit a month before, but held off on that as, ultimately, he felt he wasn’t ready. He probably should have stuck with that first instinct instead of getting overwhelmed with excitement on his visit and pulling the trigger, but it’s not the end of the world that a 16 year old made a rash decision based on emotion. Again, despite what some may say with the timing of everything, I don’t think this had anything to do with Miami and was all about Roberts feeling he rushed things in retrospect.

That makes five decommitments already for Miami in the class of 2020 and all have been elite or near-elite prospects. A talent such as Roberts parting ways with Miami is never good and there’s really no way to sugarcoat that. However, this is just another in a long line of way too early commitments ending with way too early decommitments. You can’t have coaches stop recruiting freshman and sophomores in high school because it’s just so necessary these days to build those relationships as early as possible, but you can’t help but wonder if the game wouldn’t be better served limiting the timeline on commitments until at least a prospect’s junior season.

Future of the Class

Roberts’ decommitment brings the total class numbers down to 11. Miami will continue to recruit Roberts and UM would love to re-add him to this class. Either way, Miami is still well-stocked on the defensive line for 2020 right now with Carol City (FL) 4-star DE Samuel Anaele, IMG Academy (FL) 4-star DT Tre’Von Riggins, and Chaminade-Madonna (FL) 4-star DT Willie Moise.

In terms of targets, we’ve known Miami feels that Apopka (FL) 4-star DE/DT Jalen Carter is the #1 defensive prospect in the state and will pursue him as such. In our last talk, Carter told CIS he was now up to 6’5” 285, so it’s pretty safe to say he would be a DT here at Miami. Carter loved the atmosphere on campus when he came down to visit for Paradise Camp and said the hospitality shown by the staff was unmatched by any other program he’s been to. As long as UM continues to prioritize Carter, they will be hard to beat in this recruitment and CIS heard a lot of positive chatter regarding him to UM after Paradise.

Another top target on the line is Oakleaf (FL) 4-star DE Chantz Williams, and the Canes have been showing him the love as well. He’s probably Miami’s first option in terms of edge rushers this cycle and Miami wants him badly. Williams has now visited UM for two straight Paradise Camps and I like the size (10-15 pounds) that Williams has put on in the past year or so to begin filling out his 6’4” frame. I think it’s safe to call him a Miami-lean at this point.

Other highly regarded prospects on the D-Line that UM is in good spots for are Troup County (GA) 4-star DE/DT Andy Boykin and Sebastian River (FL) 4-star DT Timothy Smith. Boykin came down for Paradise as well and recently put Miami in his top 5, while Smith most recently attended Underclassman Day in Coral Gables back in March.

Pahokee (FL) 4-star DE Latarie Kinsler was close to committing to Miami over the summer and visited for Paradise Camp, but lately over the fall, UM has not been prioritizing him as much, so it’s hard to say if he will end up in the class at this point. He looked like a toothpick at Paradise and really needs to work on filling out his body. Schley County (GA) 4-star DE Zykeivous Walker holds an early UM offer as well, but there hasn’t been much interest shown from him on his part to have any confidence that he’ll come to Miami.

Advertisement
"but you can’t help but wonder if the game wouldn’t be better served limiting the timeline on commitments until at least a prospect’s junior season."

Agree.

Ivins reported this morning that Bama commit Justin Eboigbe will visit the U two weeks before the early signing period. He must smell he is expendable by the Ingraham commit.
https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Eboigbe-46041116/

Carter looks like a real prize if they can land him as he already has the size for DT 6-5/285.
Smith already has huge size at 6-5/315.

In addition-Some of these guys they are chasing now have really muscled up-- For example Boykin is almost 260 pounds now
https://247sports.com/Player/Andy-Boykin-46041712/

Last edited:
Advertisement
That Jalen Carter kid looks like a FREAK. Chantz Williams looked like a sr as well when I saw him at Paradise. Elijah Roberts is the goods. If they are able to wheel in that group...it will be sick. I agree on the Pahokee kid I thought he was a wr when I saw him at Paradise. He's very lean. Has the height and get off though.

I spent the whole Paradise Camp with the DL...lets just say there are a lot of options on the DL moving forward..the underclassmen there were better than the seniors not named Jahfari Harvey.

Roberts was my favorite as he reminded me of a Baraka Atkins. He is still a pup and is big size wise. Has the frame to grow to a DT..but still is extremely good on the edge. Has great hand technique and power.

The 6-3, 240-pounder is a 3-star ranked #471 overall nationally, the #18 DE, and #62 in the Sunshine State in the 247Sports Composite. His decommitment does not change Miami’s #1 class in 2020 on 247Sports or Rivals.

The Background

Roberts committed to Miami in June after spending the day at a Mark Richt summer camp. Roberts originally wanted to commit a month before, but held off on that as, ultimately, he felt he wasn’t ready. He probably should have stuck with that first instinct instead of getting overwhelmed with excitement on his visit and pulling the trigger, but it’s not the end of the world that a 16 year old made a rash decision based on emotion. Again, despite what some may say with the timing of everything, I don’t think this had anything to do with Miami and was all about Roberts feeling he rushed things in retrospect.

That makes five decommitments already for Miami in the class of 2020 and all have been elite or near-elite prospects. A talent such as Roberts parting ways with Miami is never good and there’s really no way to sugarcoat that. However, this is just another in a long line of way too early commitments ending with way too early decommitments. You can’t have coaches stop recruiting freshman and sophomores in high school because it’s just so necessary these days to build those relationships as early as possible, but you can’t help but wonder if the game wouldn’t be better served limiting the timeline on commitments until at least a prospect’s junior season.

Future of the Class

Roberts’ decommitment brings the total class numbers down to 11. Miami will continue to recruit Roberts and UM would love to re-add him to this class. Either way, Miami is still well-stocked on the defensive line for 2020 right now with Carol City (FL) 4-star DE Samuel Anaele, IMG Academy (FL) 4-star DT Tre’Von Riggins, and Chaminade-Madonna (FL) 4-star DT Willie Moise.

In terms of targets, we’ve known Miami feels that Apopka (FL) 4-star DE/DT Jalen Carter is the #1 defensive prospect in the state and will pursue him as such. In our last talk, Carter told CIS he was now up to 6’5” 285, so it’s pretty safe to say he would be a DT here at Miami. Carter loved the atmosphere on campus when he came down to visit for Paradise Camp and said the hospitality shown by the staff was unmatched by any other program he’s been to. As long as UM continues to prioritize Carter, they will be hard to beat in this recruitment and CIS heard a lot of positive chatter regarding him to UM after Paradise.

Another top target on the line is Oakleaf (FL) 4-star DE Chantz Williams, and the Canes have been showing him the love as well. He’s probably Miami’s first option in terms of edge rushers this cycle and Miami wants him badly. Williams has now visited UM for two straight Paradise Camps and I like the size (10-15 pounds) that Williams has put on in the past year or so to begin filling out his 6’4” frame. I think it’s safe to call him a Miami-lean at this point.

Other highly regarded prospects on the D-Line that UM is in good spots for are Troup County (GA) 4-star DE/DT Andy Boykin and Sebastian River (FL) 4-star DT Timothy Smith. Boykin came down for Paradise as well and recently put Miami in his top 5, while Smith most recently attended Underclassman Day in Coral Gables back in March.

Pahokee (FL) 4-star DE Latarie Kinsler was close to committing to Miami over the summer and visited for Paradise Camp, but lately over the fall, UM has not been prioritizing him as much, so it’s hard to say if he will end up in the class at this point. He looked like a toothpick at Paradise and really needs to work on filling out his body. Schley County (GA) 4-star DE Zykeivous Walker holds an early UM offer as well, but there hasn’t been much interest shown from him on his part to have any confidence that he’ll come to Miami.

Who is Roberts

Advertisement
I think we should grab Neal early, he's a Cane fan and is waiting for the offer now, let's not wait till he blows up

Advertisement
I think we should grab Neal early, he's a Cane fan and is waiting for the offer now, let's not wait till he blows up

Heard he’s really feeling Michigan and we are slow playing him and that may end of biting us in the end. Can’t do this to kids even if they are fans

Also are we gonna offer Johnnie Brown he's been the highest rated DT in Florida for 2020 a couple years now, and still no offer, I remember thinking the same thing about Tyler Davis, and then we wait till there senior year to show interest and wonder why Clemson, FSu and uF have a leg up, and yes I'm aware we have 2 maybe 3 committed and Carter #1 on our board

Advertisement
It appears that Rivals has an article up today on Roberts, can someone recap it? who is the other school he is looking at? and what prompted him to de-commit?

The Background

Future of the Class

Great article Stefan and you're right he should've waited to commit and as his parents we allowed him to make a rash decision because we know he's a cane fan. That's just not enough when you consider this will be a life decision for him. We as a family needed to think about every part of this process. Plus Elijah is a really good kid and the biggest issue to him was taking official visits while being committed to a school. He felt that just wasn't right but he also didn't want to NOT see other opportunities. Miami had nothing to do with his decision. The coaches and staff are great and we respect them but he is 16 and this is a big decision for HIS life. He's a thinker which makes him the great player he is on the field. He's not just great at the game, his knowledge about the game is crazy impressive. He really just wanted a clear mind to make a clear and sound decision. The decommit is just to take a step back and re-evaluate. That's all.

Great article Stefan and you're right he should've waited to commit and as his parents we allowed him to make a rash decision because we know he's a cane fan. That's just not enough when you consider this will be a life decision for him. We as a family needed to think about every part of this process. Plus Elijah is a really good kid and the biggest issue to him was taking official visits while being committed to a school. He felt that just wasn't right but he also didn't want to NOT see other opportunities. Miami had nothing to do with his decision. The coaches and staff are great and we respect them but he is 16 and this is a big decision for HIS life. He's a thinker which makes him the great player he is on the field. He's not just great at the game, his knowledge about the game is crazy impressive. He really just wanted a clear mind to make a clear and sound decision. The decommit is just to take a step back and re-evaluate. That's all.
Thanks for coming here and posting. As a father of two I fully understand and agree with the decision. The best for our kids is what we live for! If he re-commits to the Canes he will be welcome with open arms!. Best to you and your family!

Advertisement
Back