Class Impact: Dominic Mammarelli to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Naples 4-star TE Dominic Mammarelli committed to the Canes over the weekend on his Underclassman Day visit to Miami.

The 6-4, 235-pounder is currently a 4-star in the national rankings. According to 247Sports, Mammarelli is the #47 player nationally, #1 TE in the country, and the #5 player in The Sunshine State. Rivals has not yet ranked the class in order. His commitment further strengthens the #1 ranked Category20 class on 247Sports.

The Player

Like many of the all-time greats at the tight end position (Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham) Mammarelli has a basketball background and he played the sport exclusively up until his freshman year of high school when he started playing defensive end for the Naples High football team. He was moved to offense to play TE for his sophomore year, and, although Mammarelli recorded only 3 catches for 34 yards and 1 touchdown in his sophomore season at Naples, the numbers do not tell the full story. Naples had a ground-based attack and relied heavily on the run, throwing for less than 700 yards on the year.

I saw him out at the Under Armor Miami Camp firsthand a few weeks back and really liked what he brought to the TE position physically. At 6’4” 235, Mammarelli has impressive length and speed. He’s that pure receiver-type of pass-catcher that just so happens to be in a tight end’s body. He carries it well, can run like the wind, and even juked a DB out of his shoes at the UA camp.

Also, Mammarelli shows physicality and toughness as a blocker, which is something you don’t see from a lot of young tight ends. With only one year playing the position, he has a huge learning curve, and will see rapid improvement as long as he continues to hone his craft. He’s the top tight end in the nation right now for a reason and has no ceiling.

The Class

Mammarelli's commitment brings the total class numbers to 9, and he is the first pledge at TE. His Miami recruitment burned fast and bright, as he only received his offer a month and a half ago back on February 17th during an unofficial visit to campus. Shortly thereafter, Mammarelli then gave his commitment to TE coach Todd Hartley and the rest of the Miami staff on his Underclassman Day visit this weekend. If the commitment and ranking stick, Miami has now landed the #1 tight end in two out of three years, in addition to Brevin Jordan in 2018. Put simply, coach Hartley is an animal on the trail.

Miami only loses one player at TE within the next two years. With one commit in the 2019 class already at tight end in Larry Hodges, and the Canes likely looking to take another for Surge19, barring attrition, I think they’ll be satisfied with just one TE in 2020. Mammarelli’s talent level as the top TE in the nation makes it easier to settle on the one take as well. However, this plan could change if Miami does not land another preferred TE commit in 2019. Stay tuned.

The Team

The importance of Mammarelli’s commitment cannot be understated, knowing that there is a severe lack of proven, quality depth at the position on the roster right now. Miami is at their best when they can run two tight end sets with regularity, so the Canes really needed to start stacking some good to great classes at TE, and they are beginning to do just that after signing Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory in 2018, and Larry Hodges in the fold for 2019.

While Michael Irvin II is the starter by default this spring, many are penciling in Jordan or Mallory in to take the first snap against LSU in 2018. Next year, Miami loses nobody at the position, but Irvin II runs out of eligibility after 2019. By the time Mammarelli arrives in 2020, the Jordan/Mallory combo will be juniors and in full swing. Assuming at least one of the pair stays all four years at Miami, Mammarelli will bide his time as a freshman and a sophomore and compete with Hodges and any other 2019/2020/2021 signees for backup reps. In 2022, the depth chart really opens up, and Mammarelli has a chance to be the next Miami great TE as a junior. We’re not betting against him.

Advertisement
Unless Hartley has a genuine love and loyalty to Richt I cant see us holding on to him very long. He is an animal. Someone is going to open the vault to try and take him at some point. Lets hope that is us..A hitman who doesn't miss his target ever? $hiiiiiiiit.

Advertisement
Hartley is absolutely reloading TEU... insane amount of talent coming in.

Naples, they make Oklahoma's old wishbone offense look like a modern day West coast offense if that less than 700 passing yards are accurate on the season.

I hope this guy is the real deal and it's surprising as **** to me he's the number ine TE in 2020 on basically no production.

Some fault Dunmore for not having through the roof numbers, this guy has none. All Dunmore does is shred db's ar camps, this guy must run through some, catch the uncatchable, and lastly eat campers as a last resort.

Sorry,I'm not buying what your trying to sell.Naples does not have good
enough competition to make great players.What you have is a long time
coach at Naples high kind of like the old USC"Student Body left"or
Woody Hayes"Three yards and a cloud of dust."

Unless Hartley has a genuine love and loyalty to Richt I cant see us holding on to him very long. He is an animal. Someone is going to open the vault to try and take him at some point. Lets hope that is us..A hitman who doesn't miss his target ever? $hiiiiiiiit.
still Goldenized 82... this is what big time recruiting at a top tier P5 program should look like.. Damnit sick of the pussified attitude..

Advertisement
Random, but I was just looking at his pictures on twitter from visiting the spring game and realized that he’s related to one of my frat brothers from Nova. GOMAB to the bro.

Advertisement
Random, but I was just looking at his pictures on twitter from visiting the spring game and realized that he’s related to one of my frat brothers from Nova. GOMAB to the bro.

Bruh I was just about to put that picture on here. The screenshot was too big.

GOMAB

@Rellyrell @Cribby looks we got us another MAB in the CIS family.

Advertisement
1576348185901.png

Advertisement
Back