Class Impact: Damarius Good to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 Lake Brantley ATH Damarius Good committed to the Canes on Wednesday night.

The 6-1, 175-pounder is currently a 3-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Good is the #676 player nationally, #56 ATH in the country, and the #93 player in the Sunshine State. His commitment moves Miami’s class ranking up to 9th on 247Sports and 9th on Rivals.

The Player

Although listed as an athlete, Good was taken by Miami as a cornerback. Coach Banda came away extremely impressed watching him at a Lake Brantley practice a few weeks back and offered Good. The catch? Good is the quintessential boom or bust prospect, as he has never played corner before and has no film at the position. Good has been an option QB/RB for Lake Brantley and hasn’t really been the most productive in that role either.

Because of this, he was a mostly unknown prospect with zero offers and no national ranking up until a month ago. However, Good’s recruitment took off since being offered by Tulane back on April 24, and he’s received 12 offers within the past month, with Pitt and Syracuse being his other Power 5 offers besides Miami.

On the field, Good explodes off his film and he recently clocked a 10.63 in the 100-meter dash last month. He has the size/speed combination you can’t teach and, as a corner, would have NFL scouts drooling. The level of physicality he shows as a blocker lends credence to the idea that he has the mentality and temperament to succeed on the defensive side of the ball. Time will tell if he has the hips, technique, and mental ability to reach his full potential, though.

By taking Good’s commitment now, UM’s strategy is to get out ahead in his process in case he ends up really blowing up and receiving some other big-time offers during his senior season.

The Class

Good's commitment brings the total class numbers to 12, and he is the Canes first take at cornerback, while joining Chaminade-Madonna (FL) 4-star safety Keontra Smith at defensive back in Surge19. While some may see corner as a big need for Miami this cycle with two seniors graduating, the Canes do not agree, as they have been impressed with the rapid development of their current freshman corners; according to a source close to UM staffers, the original plan was to take only one corner in this class. With the discovery of Good, however, I believe that plan has shifted, and UM will take another more established CB to pair with a developmental talent like Good.

This is Miami’s most interesting commitment to me so far in the 2019 class for a few reasons. One, it says that Miami is completely reshuffling their board at corner and confirms what we were told about the position back in spring ball. A source inside the program told CIS that coach Mike Rumph was not impressed with the size/physicality of some of Miami’s offerees at CB and would attempt to nix UM from taking their commitments. It was only a matter of time until their board expanded.

Two, it says that the Canes really, really love what Good brings physically. The Canes have not been afraid to turn away CB’s that have film and attempted to commit to them this cycle, as we’ve seen with Chaminade-Madonna (FL) 4-star Te'Cory Couch and Miami Palmetto (FL) 3-star Cornelius Nunn, so for UM to take on Good with no tape at corner tells you how much coach Banda believes in him.

In terms of the guys with offers right now that could potentially fill the second spot, it’s a real mess, but I’ll attempt to run through it. First off, we’ve heard Palm Beach Central (FL) 5-star and FSU commit Akeem Dent continues to be at the top of Miami’s board; however, I do not see the former UM commit flipping back to Miami at this (or any) time. Miami Southridge (FL) 4-star Tyrique Stevenson is listed as a corner by recruiting services, but UM likes him at safety and I would agree that’s his best fit in college.

Another player that could play CB or S is University School (FL) 4-star Josh Sanguinetti, but Miami is not as high on him as they used to be; he could end up waiting himself out of a spot in this class with his current plan to decide on Signing Day in February. St. John Bosco (CA) 4-star Chris Steele is planning an official visit to UM next month, but everything we’ve heard lately is that the Florida Gators are far out in front for his services.

A guy to really watch is Spalding (GA) 4-star Zion Puckett, who received an offer last month and recently put Miami in his top 10. We’ve heard he’s really risen up UM’s board lately and the staff loves his potential. The Canes are trying to get back into the game with The Benjamin School (FL) 4-star Kaiir Elam after slow-playing him early and are hoping it’s not a situation of “too little, too late”; the Gators are thought to lead here as well. The hub around Chamberlain (FL) 3-star John Dixon has really died out lately and it’s hard to say how much interest is still there between the parties.

Miami’s most recent offeree at the position is Carol City (FL) 3-star Jarvis Brownlee, who many, including myself, feel is extremely underrated right now. With the offer in hand, Brownlee has told CIS that Miami is his number one school currently. It will be interesting to see if the staff decides to slow-play him or takes his commitment if he’s ready to pop. Other recent offerees in Arizona Western C.C. (AZ) 4-star Elijah Blades amd North Allegheny (PA) 3-star Joey Porter Jr. don't seem to have interest in UM.

The wildcard at corner is Wellington (FL) 4-star Mark-Antony Richards. We’ve heard Miami is starting to see him more as a corner, but they will recruit him as a jack-of-all-trades that can legitimately play corner, safety, running back, and receiver. However, if Miami strikes out with other top targets at corner, they would have no problem starting him out at CB and taking only him and Good at the spot. This is assuming Richards comes on board, of course.

As we reported previously, St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 4-star Jaden Davis is not a take for the staff at this time.

The Team

By 2019, Miami will lose established starter Michael Jackson, as well as Jhavonte Dean, to graduation; only Trajan Bandy, Gilbert Frierson, DJ Ivey, Al Blades Jr., and Nigel Bethel are returnees at corner. Miami is hoping Frierson and Ivey have developed enough by then to handle full-time starting roles, with Bandy manning the slot and holding it down in nickel packages.

While that has the potential to be a more than solid top 3, Blades Jr. and Bethel just arrived on campus and have shown nothing yet and Frierson or Blades Jr. may also end up moving to safety, so Miami will hope to build more depth at this spot. And since Good has never played the position to this point, it doesn’t seem like he will be able to help that cause in 2019, and will likely be ticketed for a redshirt. If he picks things up quickly, Good could be a contributor by the 2020 season, and at the least will be able to help out on special teams. By his third season, we’ll likely be able to tell if UM’s risky investment paid off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Like this pickup a lot. So much talk about his lack of experience at corner but the reality is most HS corners have bad technique anyway and need to be taught the position from ground zero. At least Good is a clean slate so he won't have entrenched bad habits that he will fall back on.

The Elam comment is mind-numbing though. The 1 corner in SFl with good traits and film and the staff decides to slow-play him. What were they thinking?

Wow, going to be interesting how we finish this class....

Maybe it’s just me but I cannot believe the Steele to UF hype.

Advertisement
Would be nice to get a true CB to help with the rotation in 2019. I like Good but he will most likely get shirted

Advertisement
In 2019, your corner room will be:

Trajan Bandy - Jr. - Dog, stud, call him what you want. But more of a nickel/slot player than outside the numbers DB. Superstar in the making, but again he's not going to be outside covering 6'4 WRs.

DJ Ivey - So. - Promising rookie, but still obviously unproven, as he's never played a snap here yet

Gilbert Frierson - So. - See above, and also may potentially settle at Safety and not be included in this group.

Nigel Bethel - So. or possibly R-Fr. - Project player who will most likely need a redshirt year and then at least another 1-2 years of development before he can be truly counted on to make an impact

Al Blades - So. - Very good chance he's moved to Safety, but even if not, still has a lot to prove as far as being an outside the numbers cover corner.

Damarius Good - Fr. - Has never played DB in his life. Excellent size/speed combo, but certainly can't be counted on for anything in 2019. Most likely will be redshirting.

And that's it. LMAO. An elite slot kid, 3 kids who haven't seen a snap, and 2 complete projects. They need AT LEAST 2 stud corners in 2019. Not projects, not potential kids, not maybes. PRODUCTIVE PLAYERS. Kids like Steele, Dent, Elam, etc. Elite prospects who you at least feel good about having a very high chance of being productive players early in their careers. The fact that these guys were thinking about taking 1 kid and then took a commitment from a kid who has never played a snap at DB in his life is borderline embarrassing. Disagree completely with this approach.

Definitely agree with the staff with not banking on NSD holdouts. Unless you’re a can’t miss 5*, if you want to wait until NSD to decide then you won’t have a spot.

Fvck all of the NSD drama.
That won’t help us get back to the elite of college football recruiting like that.

Advertisement
In 2019, your corner room will be:

Trajan Bandy - Jr. - Dog, stud, call him what you want. But more of a nickel/slot player than outside the numbers DB. Superstar in the making, but again he's not going to be outside covering 6'4 WRs.

DJ Ivey - So. - Promising rookie, but still obviously unproven, as he's never played a snap here yet

Gilbert Frierson - So. - See above, and also may potentially settle at Safety and not be included in this group.

Nigel Bethel - So. or possibly R-Fr. - Project player who will most likely need a redshirt year and then at least another 1-2 years of development before he can be truly counted on to make an impact

Al Blades - So. - Very good chance he's moved to Safety, but even if not, still has a lot to prove as far as being an outside the numbers cover corner.

Damarius Good - Fr. - Has never played DB in his life. Excellent size/speed combo, but certainly can't be counted on for anything in 2019. Most likely will be redshirting.

And that's it. LMAO. An elite slot kid, 3 kids who haven't seen a snap, and 2 complete projects. They need AT LEAST 2 stud corners in 2019. Not projects, not potential kids, not maybes. PRODUCTIVE PLAYERS. Kids like Steele, Dent, Elam, etc. Elite prospects who you at least feel good about having a very high chance of being productive players early in their careers. The fact that these guys were thinking about taking 1 kid and then took a commitment from a kid who has never played a snap at DB in his life is borderline embarrassing. Disagree completely with this approach.

Lol I’ll be sure to tell the coaches.

This argument also makes no sense as you literally contradict yourself. You discount all the kids we already have by whining about how they have no experience. Then your solution is to grab more FR in 2019 who will HAVE NO EXPERIENCE.

We will return 5 cbs. We don’t need more than 2 to add to this which is what we’ll end up getting. Unloosen those panties ffs.

Clips from his recent spring game.

Plenty of uncertainty with this prospect, but I don't see any way you can doubt his short-area burst and speed.

I would've preferred a wait and evaluate approach. But, I do see some great traits that can translate

Advertisement

Clips from his recent spring game.

Plenty of uncertainty with this prospect, but I don't see any way you can doubt his short-area burst and speed.

I would've preferred a wait and evaluate approach. But, I do see some great traits that can translate

I think it shows you what they think of this kid as an athlete and Rumph may have some shortcomings as a recruiter but the guy has been a good CB coach.

Don't like the defensive staffs recruiting at all. This whole we signed such and such player this year so we don't have to sign any players at this position attitude is downright moronic. You build championship teams by stacking talent on top of talent every year and at every position regardless of who you signed the previous year. Dugans got Jeff Thomas, Harley and Baby Njoku. He followed that up by signing Pope, Hightower and Ezzard. This year he already has Payton on board and is still after more studs. Thats how you f*cking recruit.

Lol I’ll be sure to tell the coaches.

This argument also makes no sense as you literally contradict yourself. You discount all the kids we already have by whining about how they have no experience. Then your solution is to grab more FR in 2019 who will HAVE NO EXPERIENCE.

We will return 5 cbs. We don’t need more than 2 to add to this which is what we’ll end up getting. Unloosen those panties ffs.

You need to stack chips at CBs because some of them will pan out and others won't. Can't go for the minimum #

Advertisement
Back