Class Impact: Damarius Good exits

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 Lake Brantley ATH Damarius Good decommitted from the Canes yesterday afternoon.

The 6-0, 183-pounder is currently a 3-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Good is the #710 player nationally, #42 ATH in the country, and the #97 player in the Sunshine State. His decommitment moves Miami’s 2019 class ranking down to #24 on 247Sports and #28 on Rivals.

The Background

Good’s has been pledged to UM since late May and he is Miami’s third decommit from Surge19 in the past week or so, joining RB Marcus Crowley (who flipped to Ohio State) and S Cornelius Nunn. Accepting Good’s commitment was a curious take from the start, considering his lack of high major offers and inexperience at the position Miami wanted him at (corner). Good’s place in the class was always going to be contingent of how much development he showed as a corner in his senior season and he was expected to play the position in 2018 during his final year of high school. However, after working at the position all off-season, he curiously has only played running back for Lake Brantley this year. The writing was on the wall from there. Good is a great kid and I respect him as a player and person, so I’ll just say that this marriage wasn’t the best fit from the beginning and leave it at that. Both parties will be better off as a result.

Future of the Class

Good's decommitment brings the total class numbers down to 16, leaving Chaminade-Madonna 4-star Te’Cory Couch and Carol City 3-star Jarvis Brownlee as the only corners in the class.

The Canes weren’t in love with the cornerback crop locally this season and have eschewed all other CB’s they were originally looking at besides one to this point. Palm Beach Central 5-star Akeem Dent has been UM’s top target here for the entire cycle and, despite bleak prospects of eventually landing his signature, Miami has not given up on him. Dent has come to two UM home games for visits this season and is on the verge of setting up an official to Miami as well. Absent an “epiphany”-type OV to Coral Gables, Dent won’t be in this class, though.

UM could get involved with a new name or circle back to a guy they’ve previously kicked the tires on like JUCO 3-star Dontye Carriere-Williams, but at this moment it looks to be Dent or bust.

Advertisement
I was looking forward to Good on special teams but never thought he make much of an impact at CB. We need to completely revamp the DB board once we whiff on Rique, Dent, and Nunn. We lose JJ, Redwine, Mike Jack, and Dean. We need an infusion of talent in the DB room so hopefully the coaches start recruiting other names.

Good not that great not gonna miss him but just curious that UM not in love with anybody this cycle Qbs, running backs, Cbs. WTF

Advertisement
Miami needs at least one JUCO DB. One that can play some nickel and dime safety out the gate.

With that said...I don't know how in any given year you can look at SoFla DBs and not find plenty that you'd like. Tells me your eye test evaluation skills stink.

At least this one isn't 100% related to the dumpster fire that takes the field every week.

Advertisement
Kids dropping like fall leaves! Recruiting is the life blood of any college football team. Not winning, losing fans, revenue and recruits should be a death sentence for any coach. Yet Richt lives on. If I was guaranteed a second life, I'd go lay on the rr tracks so I could come back as a white dude. Got Damned ya'll got it good!

Besides competing with actual elite programs, dealing with new era south florida diva personality, and w.e. other negative that comes with being a small school, the coaching and play on the field has put a death nail into this cycle. I think we finish between 18 n 24. This sh1tty year has put us back 2 or 3 years. We had a chance to put together back to back top 10 classes n get closer to our goal but thats ***ed now.

Advertisement
Besides competing with actual elite programs, dealing with new era south florida diva personality, and w.e. other negative that comes with being a small school, the coaching and play on the field has put a death nail into this cycle. I think we finish between 18 n 24. This sh1tty year has put us back 2 or 3 years. We had a chance to put together back to back top 10 classes n get closer to our goal but thats ***ed now.
With how things were going before the loosing streak I doubt we would have put together a top 10 class regardless. It is what it is.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back