Class Impact: Cornelius Nunn exits

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 Miami Palmetto S Cornelius Nunn decommitted from the Canes late last night.

The 6-0, 170-pounder is currently a 3-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Nunn is the #499 player nationally, #47 S in the country, and the #63 player in the Sunshine State. His decommitment moves Miami’s 2019 class ranking down to #22 on 247Sports and #24 on Rivals.

The Background

Nunn’s commitment to Miami lasted only two and a half weeks and he is Miami’s second decommit from Surge19 in the past two days, joining Marcus Crowley who flipped to Ohio State. Nunn committed to Miami back on October 18th, just days after decommitting from Syracuse and saying he wanted to take some visits before landing on another decision. It seems UM’s three game losing streak made him feel like he rushed into things again, and he will now use the opportunity to see some other schools. I expect Miami to keep pursuing him, and the Canes aren’t completely out of it, but obviously recommits are rare in recruiting. We’ll have to see if Nunn is the exception to the rule.

Future of the Class

Nunn's decommitment brings the total class numbers to 17, and leaving Chaminade-Madonna 4-star Keontra Smith as the only safety in this class. The Canes need to up their raw numbers at the position in this class with both starters due to graduate and only three returning players; as such the preferred number would be to take three, but the Canes would also be fine with the two they have if no such player wants in.

For the potential final spot in the class at safety, UM has focused in on two elite local talents. Miami Southridge 4-star Tyrique Stevenson has been at the top of Miami’s wish-list for practically the entire cycle. Just like over the spring and fall, the 4-star DB has continued to visit Miami heavily throughout the season (most recently for the FSU game) and the Canes have held steady in Stevenson’s mind. Despite all that, Stevenson was considered a UGA lean up until two weeks ago, but a source close to the recruitment says UGA has backslid with the talented prospect recently. Miami hasn’t been in a better spot in this recruitment for quite some time, and they’re making an all-out push to get him to go with his heart and stay home. Stevenson took an official to Auburn this past weekend, and I’ve heard they’ve made a move here, but I still see this as a Miami and UGA battle until further notice.

After ignoring him for most of the cycle, Miami started really pushing hard on St. Thomas Aquinas 4-star Jordan Battle and he took an official visit to UM in June, only for him to commit to Ohio State shortly afterwards. When the scandal at Ohio State happened just before the season, Miami had some momentum here, and especially with people close to Battle. That died down in the past month or so, but Battle has actually been pretty open with other schools, and I’ve heard he’s not as much of lock to end up at OSU like it seemed a month or so ago. However, Alabama has now gotten involved here, and Battle is set to take an official to the Crimson Tide this week. Watch out for Oklahoma as well.

Pine Forest 3-star Martin Emerson has been the only 2019 prospect to earn an offer during the season, so he’s in a bit of a unique situation. Outside linebackers coach Jon Patke also went up to Pensacola to visit the Mississippi State commit last month and evaluate him during a live game. Emerson visited Miami just last week for the Duke game and could become a take if Miami feels they will miss on the other two big name targets.

Wellington 4-star ATH Mark-Antony Richards could end up at safety as well, but lately Miami has been pursuing him as a running back.

Advertisement
Doesn't sound he was entirely sure of himself if he is backing of his pledge...

Sucks but it is what it is

I’m not for bashing a kid who makes a choice for his future,

But if he ends like Byrd I certainly wouldn’t shed a tear.

To many in the media trying to make mountains out of molehills, breaking news: jadon hasslewood decommitted from UGA! I like what i saw from nunn in the way that he plays, but at the same time if you a kid that's waffling, you either know you a Cane or you dont. I'd rather a player know in his heart he wants to be here rather than a player sign here and things get tuff and they start feeling or saying out loud "i could've/should've signed at so & so. I want recruits to sign here who believe in their heart that they are the difference maker that will determine if we not losing, we at a point in our program that we need the mentally strong, who know they gone come in and work to be champions, like the majority of the last 3 classes, UM is not for the mentally week at heart, i luv what bandy said, if a recruit is not feeling like him and they from the crib, kick rocks.

Advertisement
I feel bad for nunn, 2 decommittments already, man take your time, dont make yourself look like you investing in waffle house, go to huddle house, than break fast with your final decision! And dont let your pride get in the way if in the end you still want to come to UM, but dont let this recruiters make you look like girls that keel getting tricked by the next man's words, so one week she with one dude, next week she with the next man, stay real and stay home, this coaching staff gone get you right, the competition bout to be real real on defense now!

Looks like he may be returning to Syracuse. Ivins just mentioned changing his cb back and the mod from clemson already did. so odd. wonder what it is all about - playing time or his mom.

Advertisement
The people around him dont like the U. His family are Nole fans and his teammates are also. Its easy to get in his head when we are loosing.

Probably true but its a bad career move going to Syracuse.

They run a hyper speed/score a ****load of points offense so the defense is constantly on the field getting exposed.

Probably true but its a bad career move going to Syracuse.

They run a hyper speed/score a ****load of points offense so the defense is constantly on the field getting exposed.
not to mention clemson is gonna beat the crap outta you every year!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Looks like he may be returning to Syracuse. Ivins just mentioned changing his cb back and the mod from clemson already did. so odd. wonder what it is all about - playing time or his mom.
This seems like a really impulsive decision on his part. Syracuse is having a really good year and I respect the loyalty to the program that recruited you the earliest, but spending 4 years in Western NY will be a really tough task for a South FL kid. I'll bet money this kid transfers after a winter or two there.

Advertisement
Back