Class Impact: Bryan Robinson to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Palm Beach Central WR Bryan Robinson committed to the Canes last Sunday afternoon after participating in Paradise Camp the night before.

The 6-0, 175-pounder is currently a 4-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Robinson is the #87 player nationally, #17 WR in the country, and the #12 player in the Sunshine State. His commitment keeps Miami’s class ranking at #1 overall on both 247Sports and Rivals.

The Player

Robinson is considered a top 100 prospect nationally for a reason. His tape reveals a pure deep ball threat that knows how to take a top off a defense. While he’s not a burner per se, he’s a long strider and can accelerate quickly to create separation from his man. Robinson is an outstanding ball tracker and rarely misjudges the ball in the air; he waits to begin his body adjustment until the timing is right. Robinson shows great body control and has no problem getting vertical to rise up and wrestle the throw away any cornerback. He would be a deadly weapon with a true scrambling quarterback like a N’Kosi Perry and is an improviser’s best friend in that he shows the awareness to break off his route, find the open space, and make a play on the ball.

The Palm Beach Central star also features no wasted motion in his movements, as he is very fluid and elusive in the open field. PBC worked to get Robinson the ball in space last season and utilized his talents by consistently throwing him jailbreak screens with blockers in front. This was one of their best plays on offense because Robinson is electric after the catch, sees cutback lanes before they develop, and just knows what to do with the ball in his hands.

The Class

Robinson’s commitment gives UM 12 total verbals in the 2020 class. Robinson now joins Champagnat Catholic (FL) 4-star Marc Britt and Miami Southridge (FL) 3-star Marcus Fleming at WR in Category20, giving UM some extremely dangerous speed to work with both on the outside and in the slot. While a lot depends on if the Canes end up taking another receiver in 2019, Miami is certainly operating from a position of strength in Category20 at receiver.

The Canes can afford to be choosy here and they’ll now be able to narrow their focus on the top local prospect at the position, St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 5-star Marcus Rosemy. He received his offer two months back after showing out at Miami’s 7-on-7 camp on campus and it was long overdue; Rosemy was one of the most impressive players I saw on the camp-circuit this off-season and that’s reflected in his rise to 5-star status. He also attended Paradise Camp last weekend and furthered his bond with coaches. A source told CIS he was pondering a commitment to UM a day after his offer, before deciding to back off on an early decision for the time being. The Canes will likely treat him like Frank Ladson was treated earlier this cycle, and go all out to land his commitment.

Additional local talent with offers include Deerfield Beach (FL) 3-star Deajaun McDougle, and Columbus (FL) 3-star Xzavier Henderson. I’ve heard Miami is playing catch up a bit to Ohio State and others with McDougle, but he’ll give Miami a look if the Canes decide to push. Henderson is the younger brother of former UM commit and current UF DB Chris Henderson. The Columbus wideout impressed at Paradise Camp last month, but this could just be too loaded of a local receiver class for UM to take his commitment.

Former commitments Vanguard (FL) 5-star Leonard Manuel and Marietta (GA) 4-star Jermaine Burton are technically still floating around as options, but I don’t expect either of them to end up back with Miami at this time.

The Team

By 2020, Miami will lose veterans Darrell Langham, Ahmmon Richards, and Lawrence Cager to graduation, but WR is UM’s deepest position and they are well stocked to help offset any losses. Among others, Jeff Thomas is a future star and Brian Hightowerproved he’s ready to make an impact as a freshman with his spring game performance.

Whether Miami takes another WR in 2019 or not, Robinson will have to be well-prepared both mentally and physically if he wants to crack the rotation as a freshman, as the competition is fierce for reps at WR. However, if he can show he’s ready to play, Ron Dugans will play him and is not shy to rotate frequently or play a younger player. Miami really is just stacking blue-chips at receiver and it’s hard to say which recruit will rise to the top, but Robinson has the potential to be the best of the bunch when it’s all said and done.

Advertisement
Advertisement
That’s some of the best WR film I’ve ever seen. A man amongst boys. Hands, instincts and energy are off th charts.

After I watched about 5 min of the film, I scrolled up see his measurables. After what I saw, was thinking 6’3, 215. Dead serious. He’s 6’0, 175 😂. He plays huge for his size.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not all go. Those dudes were straight line guys and didn’t pack a punch. This dude might not have their speed but he’s got ten times the toughness.

Those two dudes had ball tracking on another level in the college -> pro projection. Robinson is likely tougher/more physical, but the go route runner with excellent tracking and high point ability...those are the two best in college football and NFL prospects of recent vintage. They were real one trick ponies though and haven't found that kind of success in the NFL.

If you look to the NFL level...its guys like Marvin Jones Jr. (maybe a good long term comp?), Josh Doctson (also a good college deep ball prospect), Amari Cooper, Chris Hogan (when healthy), Tyreek Hill that set that standard recently.

Advertisement
A friend of mine had dinner with him and his father last week and he says the kid is easily taller than 6'. Regardless I'm excited about him. PB Central looked poised for a big year.

Not all go. Those dudes were straight line guys and didn’t pack a punch. This dude might not have their speed but he’s got ten times the toughness.
If he runs track again in HS his times are going to surprise much like Pope did. In MS he was in the lower 24s at 200m. Real speed at this distance does not start developing until the early high school years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back