Class Impact: Brashard Smith to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Miami Palmetto (FL) WR Brashard Smith committed to the Miami Hurricanes yesterday.

The 5-9, 190-pounder is currently a consensus 3-star prospect according to major recruiting services. According to the 247Sports Composite Ranking, Smith is the #353 player nationally in 2021, the #57 WR in the country, and the #54 player in Florida. Smith's commitment moves Miami up to the #10 overall class in the team rankings on 247Sports and #8 overall on Rivals.

Recruiting Story

Smith began earning Power 5 attention after an impressive sophomore season in 2018 where he was a threat at both running back and wide receiver for the Panthers. The Canes got involved when they offered Smith in May of 2019, and he was a frequent visitor to Coral Gables over the next few months. Even though the Miami Palmetto star decided to make a commitment to the Florida Gators in early January 2020 after their strong season on the field, that didn’t stop Smith from continuing to make UM visits, including for Miami’s junior day event just weeks later. In part because of the pandemic, Smith re-evaluated his options and decommitted from UF this May, including Miami in his top 5 release later in the month. Soon after, Smith really began to warm up to the idea of staying close to home for school and the Canes essentially led the rest of the way, culminating in his commitment to the staff yesterday. Smith chose UM over offers from UF, Oregon, Auburn, and Tennessee among others.

The Player

On film, Smith is an electric speed demon that’s a threat to score every time he touches the ball, as shown by his 13 TD’s on 36 catches in 2019. Slot dynamo with impressive breakaway speed in the open field when he turns on the jets. Top-notch acceleration that can go from 0-60 in a hurry. Remarkable stop-start ability. Creates separation with ease to give himself (and his QB) space to go to work, and is also a danger in the screen game. Incredible concentration and hands that can reel in most anything in his vicinity. Despite a smaller frame, tough runner through contact, sports great balance, and does not go down easily. Continuing to improve his route running would really take his game to the next level. Offers a body type that is muscularly developed and near-ready for the college level. Will be a fun instrument for Rhett Lashlee to utilize in his scheme and Smith’s style of play is pretty much a must for any spread offense.

As a junior in 2019, Smith put up 36 catches for 628 yards and 13 TD’s on his way to first team All-Dade; added a kick return TD on special teams as well. Recorded a 4.34 shuttle time and 29.50 inch vertical in testing at the Opening Miami Regional in February 2019. Has been clocked in the 4.4 40-yard dash range in the past.

The Class

Smith is the 20th commit overall in the 2021 class and the third WR, joining Miami Northwestern (FL) 4-star Romello Brinson and Plantation (FL) 4-star Jacolby George. After taking 4 receivers last class, the general view of this receivers class has been that UM wanted 3 WR’s in 2021, with the possibility for a 4th depending on how the numbers worked out at the end of the cycle.

It’s unclear where this leaves things going forward with longtime top WR target in Monarch (FL) 3-star Jaden Alexis, who has been seen as a Texas-lean anyways recently. I do know from sources close to the program that Smith’s commitment leaves Miami Central (FL) 4-star ATH Yulkeith Brown on the outside looking in for now, and UM has slowed down contact with Brown in recent weeks in anticipation of Smith’s commitment. Miami and Lashlee really like Brown’s game, but they're running short on spots and tough decisions had to be made with the class filling up. If there's a spot or two open at the end of the cycle, Brown is a player that might get another shot to be in the class assuming he's still available. It’s worth noting that Brown offers some versatility as a guy that has played both running back and receiver in the past, and UM has been recruiting him as an offensive athlete without a set position.

The Team

Adding quality receivers to the roster takes on that much more of an importance with Lashlee’s spread offense now in town, as pass catchers are expected to have a bigger role in his scheme than in years past at Miami. After taking 4 receivers in 2020, Lashlee and WR coach Rob Likens will look to continue to reshape the roster with this position group in the coming years.

Still, Miami is looking for consistency from their returning WR group and the Canes had a noticeable lack of top-end speed throughout the position last season. That’s an area where Smith could provide an instant upgrade and gives him an advantage when trying to work his way into the rotation as a freshman. Already with a sturdy build, Smith profiles as a player that could play immediately assuming he gets the offense down quickly, and regardless, there’s ways to take advantage of his speed in certain packages as a gadget player of sorts. He ultimately has a ton of potential in this offense and could be the next in line as part of a growing trend of smaller receivers succeeding at the next level as the NFL moves further and further towards the spread game.

Advertisement
I feel like I’m watching Phillip Dorsett 2.0
I‘m going Kevin Williams over Dorsett because I think Smith’s stocky build and ability to break arm tackles is more like Williams.
For anyone who doesn’t remember how good Williams was, go Check out some highlights. Electric return man and 1st round pick as a receiver. Williams was our best returner, IMO, until Santana Moss and others that obviously followed.

Advertisement
I‘m going Kevin Williams over Dorsett because I think Smith’s stocky build and ability to break arm tackles is more like Williams.
For anyone who doesn’t remember how good Williams was, go Check out some highlights. Electric return man and 1st round pick as a receiver. Williams was our best returner, IMO, until Santana Moss and others that obviously followed.
I definitely see that. I see Dorsett in how he just runs by kids in his fly patterns and tracks the ball down. I remember Kevin Williams, he was a beast, great hands, super athletic. Made a sick trio with Horace Copeland and Lamar Thomas.

Advertisement
Advertisement
nobody ran the shuttle screen better than K-Dub. Wasn't the most polished route runner, but once he got the ball in his hands, he was good as any WR I've seen in terms of making people miss. I still remember him taking a quick hitch at Iowa and just making himself disappear in front of a the corner and going for like 40 yards making guys miss the whole time

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back