Class Impact: AJ Mathis to Miami

Advertisement
He was previously unranked on 247 and Rivals. 247 just ranked him with a mid-3* grade, probably as a placeholder. That brought down his composite, since ESPN has him as a high 3*

This kids ranking is totally irrelevant until we get measurables and a camp appearance.

I don't get what a camp appearance would show besides coverage ability which is something he should excel at considering he played safety earlier in his career. If you mean that he needs to appear before the unqualified jocksniffers to get on their radar for rankings then that makes sense.

Measurables would be useful to see how he compares to Solomon in the 40, vert and short shuttle.

You're thinking of the depth as an "on paper" situation.
Think of it as an Miami Hurricanes team.

Ideally, we need 2 LBs who are All-Conference capable, and 2 more who won't be targeted when they are in the game.
Same for striker, you'd want 2 guys who can make plays in the open field.
Now here's the kicker, you should NEVER count on a freshman.

So now, because we dont know if we can accomplish the ideal scenario (due to injury problems of returning players), we have to shore up the numbers, plus an extra body or 2 just incase someone doesnt pan out.
*laughs in Trevor Lawrence and Justyn Ross*

I think Rumph has more potential than Banda or a Patke though. Former player at The U, is African American so he at least can relate to the culture these kids are in.

I agree that he needs to tweak the defensive side of the ball next season. Wouldn't surprise me to see a coach leave and take another job.
Maybe, but it takes way more than that. Recruiting is like sales, and I don't know if it's his personality or just his unwillingness to play the game, but imo it's staggering how much Rumph has struggled in this area. Hope you're right though - would love nothing more than to see Mike turn it around.

Maybe, but it takes way more than that. Recruiting is like sales, and I don't know if it's his personality or just his unwillingness to play the game, but imo it's staggering how much Rumph has struggled in this area. Hope you're right though - would love nothing more than to see Mike turn it around.
Rumph has recruited as well as any of the coaches. He's landed the kids he's expected to land at The U. None of the coaches have landed to 5 🌟 kids we aren't expected to land.

Advertisement
I don't get what a camp appearance would show besides coverage ability which is something he should excel at considering he played safety earlier in his career. If you mean that he needs to appear before the unqualified jocksniffers to get on their radar for rankings then that makes sense.

Measurables would be useful to see how he compares to Solomon in the 40, vert and short shuttle.

It's not about what he would show, but about who he would show it to. Most of the people doing these rankings are (understandably) biased towards kids they've seen in person, either in a camp or team setting. Ivins has said he would try to get to the kids spring game for instance, but realistically its more likely that decision makers won't see him in person until the summer camp circuit.

*laughs in Trevor Lawrence and Justyn Ross*

Laughable that you think this counters my argument. A Freshman WR who didn't start despite being great, and an anomaly of a QB who still had to beat out a Senior QB. Clemson didnt go into the season saying "we're fvcked at WR if Justyn Ross isnt good". They also didnt go into the season thinking their QB group was boom or bust depending on if Trevor Lawrence could complete a pass.

Laughable that you think this counters my argument. A Freshman WR who didn't start despite being great, and an anomaly of a QB who still had to beat out a Senior QB. Clemson didnt go into the season saying "we're fvcked at WR if Justyn Ross isnt good". They also didnt go into the season thinking their QB group was boom or bust depending on if Trevor Lawrence could complete a pass.
What true freshman are we counting on going into the season? No one is saying "were fvcked" if *this* true freshman doesn't ball out.

As far as 2020, any LB will still have to compete with Jennings, Joyner, Steed, Huff, Brooks to start.

Advertisement
I think Rumph has more potential than Banda or a Patke though. Former player at The U, is African American so he at least can relate to the culture these kids are in.

I agree that he needs to tweak the defensive side of the ball next season. Wouldn't surprise me to see a coach leave and take another job.

giphy.gif

Advertisement

What tf is this load of stupidity??....My cuz is Caucasian...Coached DBs at UM for 6yrs...(including Rumph)...I guess he couldn't relate to their Culture??....Good Lord....

Advertisement
The only Facts are the Level of pure F-ing Stupidity that you posted...
U clearly don't know what u are talking about. More often than not a African American coach is going to relate to players better than a Caucasian coach. Not to mention an African American mother from the south being more comfortable with an African American coach in her living room.

U clearly don't know what u are talking about. More often than not a African American coach is going to relate to players better than a Caucasian coach. Not to mention an African American mother from the south being more comfortable with an African American coach in her living room.
Douchebaggery is too nice of a word for what you just posted....Only a complete Moron would even listen to that pile of ****...Best DB Coach in UM History was White as a pile of Sugar...with a Plethora of Black American DBs under his Wing...Including possible the Best DB in CFB and NFL History, and you pull this garbage out of your ***....Lol...Good Grief...

Ask Ed Reeds Mom...Ask Sean Taylors Mom..Ask Antrell Rolles Mom...Ask Duane Starks Mom...Ask Mike Rumphs Mom...Ask Phillip Buchanons Mom...Ask James Lewis's Mom, if ANY of them were uncomfortable with a Caucasian DB coach coaching their Sons....I already know the answer...

Advertisement
Back