Class Impact: AJ Mathis to Miami

Advertisement
probably will be an option later down the line when kids start committing to schools.... I say sign(HS/juco) who you can sign and then look towards the portal worst case scenario

Portal is an issue at any time during the year, but you can target JuCo now. The point is, we got lightning in a bottle with 3 freshmen a few years ago, but you rarely get so lucky to get 3 immediate starters. We can sign 3 freshmen, but with this new striker position, we only really have 2 full-time positions, and we have been cursed by injuries.

So make things clear, target 3 freshmen, but identify 1 JuCo and swap it out to a Portal kid if the right one comes along. The reason I suggested JuCo is for immediate eligibility in 2020, as the NCAA might be cutting back on waivers in the near future.

Awesome. Good thing today qualifies as “now”.
I don't think you get it, There is nothing we can do right now besides get LB transfer that will play immediately. That being said, I don't see any signs of UM looking at the transfer portal for a LB that could play immediately. AS of right now the depth is just something one has to deal with and wait till after this season when the 2020 recruiting class come in.

Advertisement
I don't think you get it, There is nothing we can do right now besides get LB transfer that will play immediately. That being said, I don't see any signs of UM looking at the transfer portal for a LB that could play immediately. AS of right now the depth is just something one has to deal with and wait till after this season when the 2020 recruiting class come in.

No, you don’t get it. This is a recruiting board. We talk recruiting. The next recruiting class is 2020. Miami needs 4 linebackers in that class because it’s the most dire position on the team. If you wanna talk depth for 2019, there’s a board for that. We’re talking building the depth of the team here long term, hence the thread on AJ Mathis we’re talking in, a kid who will be here for the 2020 season. There’s a reason the staff wants 4 backers. It’s the most dire position on the team for being needed to be built via the 2020 class.

No, you don’t get it. This is a recruiting board. We talk recruiting. The next recruiting class is 2020. Miami needs 4 linebackers in that class because it’s the most dire position on the team. If you wanna talk depth for 2019, there’s a board for that. We’re talking building the depth of the team here long term, hence the thread on AJ Mathis we’re talking in, a kid who will be here for the 2020 season. There’s a reason the staff wants 4 backers. It’s the most dire position on the team for being needed to be built via the 2020 class.
its really not that dire as some people make it, and taking 3-4 LBs in one class is normal **** happens all the time. People like you are overreacting about something that can't be fix for this upcoming season, everybody knows we need 3-4 LBs, and you do not know that the staff wants 4 backers you are just assuming that.

its really not that dire as some people make it, and taking 3-4 LBs in one class is normal **** happens all the time. People like you are overreacting about something that can't be fix for this upcoming season, everybody knows we need 3-4 LBs, and you do not know that the staff wants 4 backers you are just assuming that.

Did I say anything about it being abnormal? You can’t be this dense. And again, for the second time, I’m not talking about this upcoming season. Christ. This is a recruiting forum. I’m talking about this recruiting class.

Thankfully, our staff isn’t this retarded and knows we need to take 4 backers, provided they can find 4 that they like, and @Stefan Adams alluded to that fact in his OP.

Advertisement
Need an "ace" recruiter on the defensive side of the ball. Cooney is getting the job done but he's not on the coaching staff. Rumph is the lead candidate to step in and fill that "ace" role. I believe Field has that role on offense. It's still really early but our defense should be the side pulling ELITE recruits. Our scheme will make good look great and great look elite.

Need an "ace" recruiter on the defensive side of the ball. Cooney is getting the job done but he's not on the coaching staff. Rumph is the lead candidate to step in and fill that "ace" role. I believe Field has that role on offense. It's still really early but our defense should be the side pulling ELITE recruits. Our scheme will make good look great and great look elite.

Don't see one on staff right now. I thought Banda was that guy coming out of the gate. But he's not blown me away lately. Simpson was showing potential. No idea how Stroud or Baker are on the trail. So far a little too quiet for me.

Last edited:
It's nice to have a kid as enthusiastic as Mathis in the class. Agree that he flows to the ball very well. Would like to see him get more development in pass coverage if he's planning on contributing early, and we may need him to depending on how Wilder and Steed recover.

Advertisement
Can’t imagine there’s a better defense to encourage that behavior and demand it than this one. If that’s the only thing holding him back, I’m confident the staff can instill that in the kid.

I love how we went into Pinellas Park to get a kid...coach Field is doing work bc that’s not a school that attracts scouts.

Largo kids are tough as **** too.

"When I took the visit to Miami (in April) I just caught the great vibe the coaches and players were giving off," Mathis said after his announcement today. "Miami has always been a place I could imagine myself playing, and I see so much opportunity I have with going to Miami."

Oh, and this final parting thought from Mathis: "Plus dogs gotta be around other dogs!"

Advertisement
looks like he has good arm length, looks like he doesnt get driven back. I never mind taking an extra linebacker either, they have value on punt/kickoff teams as well so we can give our starters a breath.

Any testing numbers out there?
His coach did an interview with canesport and stated he's timed 4.6 in the 40.

Am I missing something? I watch the film and he looks aight. Seems like a high 3* guy. We need him for depth but I don’t see mike Pinckney not nearly as explosive and definitely need time to get stronger. I’m cool with the pickup but we gotta find a way to land Flowe

Am I missing something? I watch the film and he looks aight. Seems like a high 3* guy. We need him for depth but I don’t see mike Pinckney not nearly as explosive and definitely need time to get stronger. I’m cool with the pickup but we gotta find a way to land Flowe
Like **** ain't **** good enough for you crybaby *** fans tf just take it and be HAPPY that we GOT A COMMITMENT yo you guys ***** about everything WE GOT DUDE IN A MONTH we're doing something positive

Advertisement
Back