CIS Roundtable: 2019 Season Preview

FSU will be bowl eligible by the time they play us? Dude, they’ll be lucky to win 6 games.

Advertisement
We have new coaches at HC, OC, QB, DC, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, ST, S&C. A freshman QB. None of our current 5 starting OL has started a game at their respective position. There's too much that's unknown to be a homer and predict 12-0 when the ACC is always competitive from top to bottom. We play Florida and Florida State away from our home stadium. Teams like Pitt, Duke, UNC, UVA, VT, GT, LOU have beaten us pretty consistently since 2004. There's no real reason to expect us to run roughshod through this schedule aside from the season being two days away and we're all foaming at the mouth ready for some football.

Last edited:
With the schedule we have, not winning 10 games would be disappointing. More than anything if we lose I care how HOW we lose those games. There's no shame in losing to a Florida or Clemson....but we have enough talent to put up a fight and not get blown out by anyone on that schedule this year. To me, that's the biggest improvement I want to see....namely the ability to handle and strike back at adversity.

I see them going 10-2 or better. 9-3 would be a disappointment. We need to enter the ACCCG with a winning streak and the wind at our back, and make that game vs Clemson a battle not a forgone conclusion.

I don’t expect a win vs UF but think we have equivalent or better talent, just less developed. If we were playing the gators at the end of the season I’d say we’d beat them two out of three times. Right now, we have a one in three chance of beating them. Just need some disruptive plays to shift momentum our way.

Also....While I hope Jarren balls out of control let’s remember something.

He doesn’t have to ball out. If he can be just Brad Kaaya, Stephen Morris, Jacory Harris this team will eat major league.

If any of those kids were Miami’s QB in 2018 Mark Richt would still be coaching here. And tbh we are likely going to finish with 11 wins last year.

Yes those kids were 50% passers but not all 50% passers are created equal. They had A LOT more arm talent than Rosier and that forces the defense to at least play you honest.

Try press coverage on Stephen Morris and a 50 yard bomb was getting dropped on your head.

Jarren seems like a kid who can make all the throws from the practice clips. Force the defense to play honest and not stack the box and we are instantly a better football team because of it.
Just think about how many more games we would have won if Kaaya would have tucked the ball and ran some. (he had open grass, but everyone in the stadium and at home knew he wouldn't run.

Jarren will run, that's a FACT.

Advertisement
Normally, when a new HC takes over for a team that struggled in the prior year, you would expect serious growing pains, often on both sides of the ball. But our situation is so unique with Manny, our defense/defensive staff, our schedule, and the hugely obvious upgrade at OC and QB coach. I mean, our QB coach is going from Jon Richt to Dan Enos. Our OC is going from one who talked about plays that have worked for 30 years to a guy who has proven to use all types of modern offensive concepts. The talent of our skill players should finally be able to be utilized. Our punting game has nowhere to go but up, and all reports are that Hedley is going to be a huge upgrade.

Obviously, the OL and QB will be the focus, and possible limitation, on what we can do. But the book on Jarren has always been that he is a gifted, natural passer with a good arm and good athleticism. Will he struggle sometimes - sure, I would expect so. But, again, with his talent, and the talent around him, and the enormous upgrade in coaching and playcalling, it's hard to imagine that he won't be much more effective than Malik and Kosi were last year. I looked back at their stats - the most yards passing in any game last year was Malik with 256 against LSU, and his efficiency in that game was atrocious. We lost one score games to Virginia, Duke and GT, and the QB play/playcalling in those games was embarrassing. Our QBs threw for 3 touchdowns, total, over the last 7 games (which covered the Virginia, BC, GT, Duke and Wisconsin losses).

If we had a challenging schedule, I would be more concerned about our offensive guys learning a new system, a new QB and the youth/inexperience/limitations of the OL. But with the way our schedule sets up, and the upgrade in coaching on offense, a seemingly much more fit/conditioned team, and a HC who has a clear vision for the program, it's much harder for me to see us losing games like we did last year. If we are able to stay healthy at key positions, failing to win at least 9 games, and failing to win the Coastal, would be a big let down.

Great Read....
However the 1 player U failed to mention that will make the College Football world pay attention to is......
GURVAN HALL

Advertisement
Coaching staff. First year head coach yes. He has put together a staff a lot of schools would love to have. Good staff first sign of good coach.

Learn img new system but as a team I see a lot of upside. I fully expect them to get better week by week and by mid seasn be a team no one wants to play. Sad they do not have a few games before playing crocs

Conditioning much better than it has been for years.

Heart and desire remains to be seen but I think better than if has been for years.

All adds up to a **** good season regardless of first game result and I firmly believe that is winnable

Last edited:
Matthew: Call me crazy, but I think losing Zion Nelson would hurt the most. Zion arrived at 240 pounds and is now the starting left tackle a few months later. Most people view that as a positive for Nelson, and it is, but you also need to remember that means nobody was able to beat him out. 3rd year tackles like Zalon’tae Hillery and Kai-Leon Herbert were not able to beat out an extremely undersized true freshman. UM cannot lose Zion.

Advertisement
People talk about Clemson this and Clemson that...oh they will RE-Load...nobody, I mean NOBODY re-loads like the Miami Hurricanes. End of Story.

Clemmie's D-Line from last year and that one receiver Renfrow were part of the heart and soul of that team. They are gone. Sure they have talent, but they could very well lose to Tex A&M, SYracuse, or FSU (Hate to say I will pull for FSU that day)

@Stefan Adams “…I think Miami will, but anything less than 9-3 would be disappointing in Manny Diaz’s first season in my opinion.”

That’s NOT a prediction. That’s a “cute” hedge usually reserved for our uberuber…fans. Yes, anything less than 9-3 would be disappointing. Everyone not predicting Miami will do worse knows that. But, what’s your prediction?

12-0, 11-1, 10-2, 9-3, 8-4, 7-5, 6-6, 5-7, 4-8, 3-9, 2-10, 1-11 and winless. Pick one.

Trap games? If there are two games that WILL NOT be trap games then it’s UVA and Pitt. Manny, Shaq, etc understand the importance of payback. Pitt at Heinz Field has been circled in their minds for 2 years and UVA is self explanatory. Louisville and GT will be closer games than UVA and Pitt. Two weeks to prepare for UNC? Two weeks to prepare for VT?

Folks twisting themselves into knots to not acknowledge how awful the coastal is, how horrible Miami’s schedule is (name the ranked teams not named UF? I’ll wait.), how much better Miami is than last year (fitness, coaching, OL, scheme, punting …), how strategic the bye weeks are - just so they can feel enlightened. Bringing up “first year coach” gets you no plaudits with me!

This is a two-game season with filler. UF will be better than this board thinks they are (for the season) and FSU will be better than this board thinks they are (they’ll be bowl eligible by the time they play Miami).

New page. Miami (recent) history has nothing to do with this team. Miami ranked in top-4 this year in Charlotte.
9-3. I didn’t offer another record in there so I thought it was obvious, but I can see how that might be unclear

Advertisement
Great Read....
However the 1 player U failed to mention that will make the College Football world pay attention to is......
GURVAN HALL

Right after I posted, I regretted not picking Gurvan for defensive breakout. I locked onto Ford without even thinking of Gurvan lol. He's gonna be a stud this year

Advertisement
Back