CIS report on WQAM - June 13th

View as article
Any of these dudes believing rosier or sheriffs is the answer for any portion of the season just because they are a rsjr or rssoph just needs to quit watching football.

This....
I don't understand why people have hope that rosier or sherriffs will be any better. Other than duke game with rozier neither have shown anything. If a freshman is close to what an upperclassman is capable of doing then you go with the freshman because they have more upside

Because they've at least had years to learn the playbook. It's really not that hard to understand.

Richt has been here one year. So how have they had years in the playbook?

its not just a playbook, its learning a system(playbook, training, diet, teamates, …) while getting acclimated to college at the same time.. Sounded like Weldon was overwhelmed with it, don't see how Perry should process all of it any quicker.

Perry and weldon are not the same person. Sheriffs said himself that perry has picked up the offense very well. And its been reported perry immediately got the wrs and started watching film and working on the field with them. There was no talk of weldon doing those type of things when he got on campus.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This....
I don't understand why people have hope that rosier or sherriffs will be any better. Other than duke game with rozier neither have shown anything. If a freshman is close to what an upperclassman is capable of doing then you go with the freshman because they have more upside

Because they've at least had years to learn the playbook. It's really not that hard to understand.

its not just a playbook, its learning a system(playbook, training, diet, teamates, …) while getting acclimated to college at the same time.. Sounded like Weldon was overwhelmed with it, don't see how Perry should process all of it any quicker.

Perry and weldon are not the same person. Sheriffs said himself that perry has picked up the offense very well. And its been reported perry immediately got the wrs and started watching film and working on the field with them. There was no talk of weldon doing those type of things when he got on campus.

they haven't even started practicing, how could he have "picked up the offense very well"?

and were did Sheriffs say that?

What's your point? I'm not the one using Hurts as an example of a true freshman getting it done. Give your advanced stats to Dmoney.

If wins are what you're looking for, Hurts is the perfect example. If you're looking for performance as a passer, look no further than Kaaya and his ACC-leading stats as a true freshman.

Here's the bottom line: In the first seven games of the schedule, putting aside FSU, we play Bethune Cookman, Arkansas State and Toledo (at home). Those should be wins with Jon Richt at quarterback. We also play Duke, Syracuse and Georgia Tech. Those are three of the worst defenses Perry will ever face.

By the time Perry gets to the meat of the schedule, he should (barring injury) have a ton of experience and 6 wins in the bag with 6 or 7 games left to go. I expect 10 wins and anything less would be a disappointment.

Duke, Syracuse and GT are exactly the types of games a true freshman QB can lose. GT always gives us fits with their defense. Syracuse can score points and force you to answer. Duke always seems to play us pretty tough and usually knocks off a good team or two every year.

****, a true freshman QB can even get in trouble against a team like Ark State or Toledo.
Lmao @ Syracuse...

They gave up 76 points last year to a team that doesn't have 1/3rd the amount of talent we do.

A TF QB would struggle on the road vs teams like FSU, NC or a home game like ND/Va Tech but the team's you mentioned don't strengthen that argument.

Those Duke, Cuse & GTech games are layups even with a Freshman QB & I say that not expecting for Perry to be the starter.

Your point about TF QB's is true, the only problem is the two upperclassmen aren't lighting the world on fire either, the question will remain how long do we stick with Shirreffs or Rosier if they lose to FSU or any other game early on?

The talk of a Freshman QB basically guaranteeing that we won't win anything big this season is couched under the expectation that the 2 upperclassmen better win the games we're supposed to lose with a Frosh QB or else the whole point becomes null & void.

You're right. A true freshmans QB could never lose to GT, Duke or Syracuse. They can only lose to the top teams. GT is a talented team that always plays us tough and beat up on our veteran QB the last couple years. We needed a couple defensive TDs to hang on against them last year. But Perry would handle them with ease.

Remind me again which team Syracuse beat last year as a huge underdog.

Keep thinking everything will go by the book with a freshmans QB and that he'll only struggle when you think he'll struggle.
Richt is 14-1 vs GTech, we wouldn't lose to them if we had Vinny Jr starting.

And if you're legit pumping up the idea that a Freshman QB would struggle against a Defense that gave up 76 points, I commend you for committing that hard to something you know is pure nonsense.

Syracuse doesn't belong on the same field as Miami, it doesn't matter who the QB is, they couldn't beat us if we spotted'em 2TD's.

If wins are what you're looking for, Hurts is the perfect example. If you're looking for performance as a passer, look no further than Kaaya and his ACC-leading stats as a true freshman.

Here's the bottom line: In the first seven games of the schedule, putting aside FSU, we play Bethune Cookman, Arkansas State and Toledo (at home). Those should be wins with Jon Richt at quarterback. We also play Duke, Syracuse and Georgia Tech. Those are three of the worst defenses Perry will ever face.

By the time Perry gets to the meat of the schedule, he should (barring injury) have a ton of experience and 6 wins in the bag with 6 or 7 games left to go. I expect 10 wins and anything less would be a disappointment.

Duke, Syracuse and GT are exactly the types of games a true freshman QB can lose. GT always gives us fits with their defense. Syracuse can score points and force you to answer. Duke always seems to play us pretty tough and usually knocks off a good team or two every year.

****, a true freshman QB can even get in trouble against a team like Ark State or Toledo.
Lmao @ Syracuse...

They gave up 76 points last year to a team that doesn't have 1/3rd the amount of talent we do.

A TF QB would struggle on the road vs teams like FSU, NC or a home game like ND/Va Tech but the team's you mentioned don't strengthen that argument.

Those Duke, Cuse & GTech games are layups even with a Freshman QB & I say that not expecting for Perry to be the starter.

Your point about TF QB's is true, the only problem is the two upperclassmen aren't lighting the world on fire either, the question will remain how long do we stick with Shirreffs or Rosier if they lose to FSU or any other game early on?

The talk of a Freshman QB basically guaranteeing that we won't win anything big this season is couched under the expectation that the 2 upperclassmen better win the games we're supposed to lose with a Frosh QB or else the whole point becomes null & void.

You're right. A true freshmans QB could never lose to GT, Duke or Syracuse. They can only lose to the top teams. GT is a talented team that always plays us tough and beat up on our veteran QB the last couple years. We needed a couple defensive TDs to hang on against them last year. But Perry would handle them with ease.

Keep thinking everything will go by the book with a freshmans QB and that he'll only struggle when you think he'll struggle.

And if you're legit pumping up the idea that a Freshman QB would struggle against a Defense that gave up 76 points, I commend you for committing that hard to something you know is pure nonsense.

Syracuse doesn't belong on the same field as Miami, it doesn't matter who the QB is, they couldn't beat us if we spotted'em 2TD's.

Syracuse beat VT last year 31-17…….

Lmao @ Syracuse...

Syracuse beat VT last year 31-17…….
Cuse caught Va Tech slippin at Home, we play Syracuse in Miami this year.

So, y'all really think they're going to "play us tough"? Okay.

I get the argument, True Freshman QB's struggle, but if you legit think any QB we start would struggle against literally one of the worst teams in the ACC, then I simply have nothing else left to say lol.

Advertisement
All I know is Kaaya had a pretty good true freshman season with far less talent and he was a summer enrollee. If he can do anything close to what Kaaya did we should be just fine.

You mean do nothing against almost every good team, pad stats against garbage teams, fall apart in the second half of most games and lead us to a 6-7 record?

You make valid points. He also had Coley calling predictable plays too. Let's be honest our coaching staff did a lot of bad for the team and killed the moral etc so... If Perry has similar numbers we would be happy.

We can blame it on Coley, but Kaaya didn't do much , if any, better under Rick.

All I know is Kaaya had a pretty good true freshman season with far less talent and he was a summer enrollee. If he can do anything close to what Kaaya did we should be just fine.

You mean do nothing against almost every good team, pad stats against garbage teams, fall apart in the second half of most games and lead us to a 6-7 record?

His freshmen year nebraska won 9 games and kaaya had 359 yards and 3tds. Was the most yards thrown by a qb on the road vs nebraska.

Gt 11 wins and he threw for 245 and 1td. Cincinnati 9 wins 286 3tds, unc 189 3tds, fsu 316 2tds.

The most yards he threw for that year came vs nebraska. And the other 2 games he went for 300+ yards was fsu and ark st. That doesnt look like padding stats vs bad teams to me.
Nebraska was a bad defense. You're going to give him credit for that and a G5 Cincinnati team, yet you won't give Rosier a drop of credit for his work against Duke on the road as an underdog in his first start.

Keep trying to spin numbers, but Nebraska was a **** defense, and Kaaya was trash in the second half of almost every game. And we reeled off 6 wins with a team loaded with NFL players. Same team that with a one-legged marginal veteran QB the year before won 9 games.

His freshmen year nebraska won 9 games and kaaya had 359 yards and 3tds. Was the most yards thrown by a qb on the road vs nebraska.

Gt 11 wins and he threw for 245 and 1td. Cincinnati 9 wins 286 3tds, unc 189 3tds, fsu 316 2tds.

The most yards he threw for that year came vs nebraska. And the other 2 games he went for 300+ yards was fsu and ark st. That doesnt look like padding stats vs bad teams to me.
Nebraska was a bad defense. You're going to give him credit for that and a G5 Cincinnati team, yet you won't give Rosier a drop of credit for his work against Duke on the road as an underdog in his first start.

Keep trying to spin numbers, but Nebraska was a **** defense, and Kaaya was trash in the second half of almost every game. And we reeled off 6 wins with a team loaded with NFL players. Same team that with a one-legged marginal veteran QB the year before won 9 games.

Both sides of this discussion have legitimately valid points.

The one thing that makes it tough to truly compare our offensive output then and now is the defensive turnaround.

We lost a lot of games from 2011-2015 because our defense was a soft, wet gaping ****** 99.9% of the time.

We can all agree that Kaaya wasn't about to pull a clutch performance out of his *******. However, if that 2014 team had the defense we have now, no way we only win 6 games.

Lmao @ Syracuse...

You understand that sometimes you have to match a team like Syracuse score for score when they get rolling right? You understand that games aren't played on a stat sheet. Sometimes, a team like Syracuse can get rolling and if you can't answer with your offense you get too far behind. Ask Vag Tech how that worked.

As for Rick's record against GT that's meaningless. We needed two defensive scores to beat them last year with a veteran QB. They've always got athletes on that defense, and they usually bring heat.

Advertisement

The one thing that makes it tough to truly compare our offensive output then and now is the defensive turnaround.

We lost a lot of games from 2011-2015 because our defense was a soft, wet gaping ****** 99.9% of the time.

We can all agree that Kaaya wasn't about to pull a clutch performance out of his *******. However, if that 2014 team had the defense we have now, no way we only win 6 games.

How'd we lose 4 straight last year with a 3rd year starter in Kaaya if it was all about Doritos and his bad defense?

How'd we lose 4 straight last year with a 3rd year starter in Kaaya if it was all about Doritos and his bad defense?

We went 9-4, which is not "only winning 6 games".

That's literally all I said about 2014. Never said we'd win the ACC or anything. Just said we wouldn't have only won 6 games with our current defense.

I'm not even going out on a limb with that. Kind of obvious that we'd have won more games with a non-WOAT defense.

Not sure how you can argue it to be honest.

We went 9-4, which is not "only winning 6 games".

That's literally all I said about 2014. Never said we'd win the ACC or anything. Just said we wouldn't have only won 6 games with our current defense.
And those 9 wins (and 4 losses) came with a 3rd year starter so comparing it to Kaaya first year is meaningless.

Advertisement
I'm not even going out on a limb with that. Kind of obvious that we'd have won more games with a non-WOAT defense.

More than 6 can be 7 or 8, so you're arguing against ghosts. Pretty much everyone thinks we can win more than 6 this year with Vinny Jr at QB. More than 6 shouldn't be the goal.

More than 6 can be 7 or 8, so you're arguing against ghosts. Pretty much everyone thinks we can win more than 6 this year with Vinny Jr at QB. More than 6 shouldn't be the goal.

Then why are you arguing? My only point was we'd have more wins.

You're making this way more than it is.

they haven't even started practicing, how could he have "picked up the offense very well"?

and were did Sheriffs say that?

This dude just want to be negative at whatever the cost...Perry the man, get over it already.

Advertisement
I'm shocked that the Evan Shirreffs train is still on the tracks.

So, I'm gonna hope it's because he was really some missed diamond and is actually good ... And that this isn't a situation of Rosier being such a bad practice player, that he's kept Shirreffs in the competition.

If we're actually relying on a true frosh to lead this team ... I expect A LOT of growing pains.

Not saying that can't happen with a less talented upper-classman as the starter ... But, typically, age/experience teaches people to work within their limitations. If Rosier just did that, he could probably lead this team to a Coastal title.

Start Perry game 1 and it'll pay off by the end of the season and the seasons to come. That's how I look at it. Every bit of info we've gotten says Rosier makes a lot of mistakes, it's not like he's Ryan Williams out there where he could be a good game manager and rely on the defense to win us games. I'd rather go through those mistakes with the guy that has the most upside.
I'm not sure how many True Frosh qbs are successful statistically or in he W/L column. Usually when a team is very good they have a veteran qb or one that has been sitting for a couple years.

Wasn't Francois a true frosh? He played well. I know Jared Goff was a true frosh, and he played great as a frosh at Cal, but the overall team ******* sucked. I think RG3 started as a true frosh, and we know what he went on to do. Josh Rosen and Christian Hackenberg had good true frosh seasons before falling off their 2nd yrs.
Terrell Pryor, Matt Barkley, Tom Savage, MATT STAFFORD! All guys that started as true freshman and did well. If the offensive coordinator does his job which is to make it as easy as possible for him to suceed, then we will be fine

Then why are you arguing? My only point was we'd have more wins.

You're making this way more than it is.
No one cares about winning 6 to 8 games. I thought you were discussing something relevant. My apologies for that assumption.

Any of these dudes believing rosier or sheriffs is the answer for any portion of the season just because they are a rsjr or rssoph just needs to quit watching football.

This....

Ok, they've had one year with the playbook, which is more than the 35 minutes that Perry has had. Or is that not of any value?

I don't think much of either of them at this point, but do you really not see why people might be hoping one of them can get their sht together?

Advertisement
Back