CIS report on WQAM - June 13th

View as article
This is pretty much it in a nutshell. We better hope Rosier steps up because we aren't winning 11 with a true freshmans summer enrollee.

The summer enrollee thing is a cop-out, in my opinion. The only reason you throw out that caveat is because a true freshman just led Alabama to the title game. Do you think Hurts won and Kaaya lost because Hurts had a better knowledge of the offense?

The game has changed. It is easier to get young guys ready to roll. The experience bar gets lower every year, in college and the pros. The big question is whether we have a good enough team around Perry. Hurts obviously did.

Counterpoints:

1. Hurts enrolled at Alabama in December 2015 (https://theundefeated.com/features/...-hurts-and-the-black-qbs-who-came-before-him/) - that's a huge difference from what NKosi did. Those extra months make an astronomical difference, especially for a QB that will have to throw

2. Hurts is a different type of QB in a different type of system - was never expected to win with his arm, unlike Kosi if he's tabbed.

3. Alabama has 5 stars at the 3-deep in just about every position. Their o-line is always monstrous.

4. Kosi will literally have four weeks to learn a more complex position in which he'll be required to read, react and throw in real time at a speed he's never experienced before.

If you don't see the obstacles he has vs what Hurts had, I don't know what to say.

You can't even compare the two QBs or situations.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is pretty much it in a nutshell. We better hope Rosier steps up because we aren't winning 11 with a true freshmans summer enrollee.

The summer enrollee thing is a cop-out, in my opinion. The only reason you throw out that caveat is because a true freshman just led Alabama to the title game. Do you think Hurts won and Kaaya lost because Hurts had a better knowledge of the offense?

The game has changed. It is easier to get young guys ready to roll. The experience bar gets lower every year, in college and the pros. The big question is whether we have a good enough team around Perry. Hurts obviously did.

Hurts had better coaching(Kiffin vs Coley) and a loaded roster. Also, how do you know Hurts wasn't more ready than Kaaya? He showed more composure in tough situations as a freshman than Kaaya has ever shown.

The game hasn't changed that much. You're either on the most loaded roster in college football or you don't win 10 games. I'm not sure why as UM fans we want to act like all this previous evidence doesn't apply to us just because Perry is our guy.

To play devils advocate, Kaaya had some tough road games as a freshman and didn't really play terrible. He wasn't the main reason we lost a couple of them.

@ Louisville, @ Nebraska, @ VT were pretty hostile environments for him.

Counterpoints:

1. Hurts enrolled at Alabama in December 2015 (https://theundefeated.com/features/...-hurts-and-the-black-qbs-who-came-before-him/) - that's a huge difference from what NKosi did. Those extra months make an astronomical difference, especially for a QB that will have to throw

2. Hurts is a different type of QB in a different type of system - was never expected to win with his arm, unlike Kosi if he's tabbed.

3. Alabama has 5 stars at the 3-deep in just about every position. Their o-line is always monstrous.

4. Kosi will literally have four weeks to learn a more complex position in which he'll be required to read, react and throw in real time at a speed he's never experienced before.

If you don't see the obstacles he has vs what Hurts had, I don't know what to say.

Main thing is Miami is significantly more talented than any team we face other than fsu and the schedule is rather easy.

Counterpoints:

Main thing is Miami is significantly more talented than any team we face other than fsu and the schedule is rather easy.

That may be true, with a couple of exceptions, but is it enough to overcome all the factors I stated? I don't think so.

Exactly ppl whining like they cant understand the obvious. This team is very talented across the board. Our schedule isnt difficult. And N'Kosi Perry is a very talented football player to get behind and ride the wave. They would rather bxtch and moan instead.

Advertisement
Two comments:

1) It's not bxtching and moaning to point out that literally EVERY freshman QB in the history of CFB has struggled in the W/L column. It is what it is there.

2) I still expect Perry to win the job and do better than most freshman QBs "historically" (i.e. I think he can get us between 9 and 11 wins with our team and schedule.)

Lol at he has to learn the offense in 4 weeks when hes already been studying the playbook. Just bc Kaaya never won 10 games doesnt mean it takes all this extra **** to do so. Clowns act like you have to know the entire playbook to compete against our schedule. Pull ya skirt down relax

Last edited:
Two comments:

1) It's not bxtching and moaning to point out that literally EVERY freshman QB in the history of CFB has struggled in the W/L column. It is what it is there.

2) I still expect Perry to win the job and do better than most freshman QBs "historically" (i.e. I think he can get us between 9 and 11 wins with our team and schedule.)

Teams always surpass expectations just hasnt happened with Miami in awhile, but i think Perry is more than capable of doing that especially bc of the defense and playmakers around him.

Last edited:
Whoever wins the job the narrative that Ariz put out there about Richt favoring Shirreffs over the other veterans because of his accuracy is nonsense. What about Shirreffs completing around 44% of his passes and throwing no TDs over the last two scrimmages speaks to accuracy? Those numbers for a QB who has a risk adverse game allegedly are particularly horrific.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The reason N'Kosi is at UM, is that when plays don't go so well, he's able to move, scat, adjust, and wing it.

There's a lot to be said for the ability to sometimes "wing it." He'll have the receivers. He'll have the line.

And he'll have the defense. He doesn't have to win the game all by himself.

Hurts had better coaching(Kiffin vs Coley) and a loaded roster. Also, how do you know Hurts wasn't more ready than Kaaya? He showed more composure in tough situations as a freshman than Kaaya has ever shown.

The game hasn't changed that much. You're either on the most loaded roster in college football or you don't win 10 games. I'm not sure why as UM fans we want to act like all this previous evidence doesn't apply to us just because Perry is our guy.

What if i told you 46% of Hurts completed passes were behind the line of scrimmage.

What if i told you 46% of Hurts completed passes were behind the line of scrimmage.

What's your point? I'm not the one using Hurts as an example of a true freshman getting it done. Give your advanced stats to Dmoney.

Do any of you with better memories than me remember any other QBs we kept tabs on in Allison's senior year? Seem to remember we got him early and coasted at the position, but maybe we looked at a few others. Him not being the real deal really f'd this program for 2017.... it is a shame to go into a season with a true FR there with what we have in the front 7. Sure hope not all of those DTs jump to the NFL after this year.

Advertisement
Do any of you with better memories than me remember any other QBs we kept tabs on in Allison's senior year? Seem to remember we got him early and coasted at the position, but maybe we looked at a few others. Him not being the real deal really f'd this program for 2017.... it is a shame to go into a season with a true FR there with what we have in the front 7. Sure hope not all of those DTs jump to the NFL after this year.

Coley was on Allison for a long time. When Richt was hired he brought Eason in on an unofficial. Nothing came of it though.

No. I put that caveat in there because a summer enrollee true freshman QB has never led a college team to anything of significance in the history of college football.

Hurts had spring practice, which is valuable no matter how much you guys want to claim it isn't. Live bullets. There's no replacement for that.

Hurts obviously was a one-read and run guy. Clearly, that was good enough to get Alabaga to the title game because they had the best defense in college football since UM's 2001 team and a team littered with 5 stars. He's also a much better runner than Perry and built like a tank. Two totally different situations.

Now, go ahead and quote one sentence from this post and ignore the rest of it.

How quickly we forget about our top ten defense this upcoming year, they will be the best in the ACC bar none. We shouldn't concern ourselves with the secondary because of the front seven, period! WHOEVER!; the QB is, this coaching staff is going to roll with Walton, Herndon and Richards, in that order on the offensive side of the ball. Tell me please!?!? Who is going to be able to stop those beasts in the ACC barring injury?? Oh yea, and *** the Semenholes...

Advertisement

UM fans are overlooking the entire history of college football when they think Perry can lead us to anything of significance this year.

To play devils advocate, Kaaya had some tough road games as a freshman and didn't really play terrible. He wasn't the main reason we lost a couple of them.

@ Louisville, @ Nebraska, @ VT were pretty hostile environments for him.

Kaaya was seemingly never "the main reason" we lost, yet all we did was lose with him at the helm.

Whoever wins the job the narrative that Ariz put out there about Richt favoring Shirreffs over the other veterans because of his accuracy is nonsense. What about Shirreffs completing around 44% of his passes and throwing no TDs over the last two scrimmages speaks to accuracy? Those numbers for a QB who has a risk adverse game allegedly are particularly horrific.

Shirreffs might be accurate in theory, but he's proven to be completely inaccurate with bullets flying. I think Rosier shyts on him right now, and I don't think Rosier is a great QB by any definition.

I go back and forth on this. On one hand, I can't recall someone with a month of prep being able to lead his team to a high amount of success. Comparing Hurts to Perry is insane - not even the same planet as far as situations go.

On the other hand, we have the best returning player in the conference at RB, WR and TE. We have 4/5 of our starting O-line back PLUS we add Linder for depth/possible starter and our most talented prep OL prospect since Henderson. Oh - and we are likely to have a top 10 defense nationally next year that's going to put us in a great position to win games against a ****** schedule (minus FSU). If we average 20 points per game, we win 10 of them. That's how good I think we are going to be on defense and special teams next year.

Advertisement
Back