CIS Myth: “Schools Recruit Themselves” (related to FSU coaching search)

Dghustla

Junior
(I’m positing this here because its really related to the dialogue on potential candidates for FSU more so than just recruiting.)

I read in the Leach to FSU rumor thread that when ppl said Leach “wasn’t a recruiter” others countered with “FSU recruits itself”. I.e. the program will build itself and on brand alone provide any coach with a loaded roster...

to an extend that is true but.....

Canes should know differently.

In this big money era of CFB it’s not just about getting 4* and 5* it’s about getting the right 4* and 5*.

If Golden signs Dalvin Cook instead of Joe Yearby, he probably could have made it at least another year. Cook was just that good.

The Narrative surrounding last years FSU team was that they had “no talent” really...in Jimbos final 3 seasons his composite class ranking were 3 and 3 and 6.

In 2015 be signed 4-5* alone players that were to be JRs and SRs Willies 1st year. Now the story of those classes are “they were loaded with bust”

Larry Coker thought Miami Recruited itself and wound up with bust and bust.

Mark Richt thought UGA recruited itself and lost the top QBs to out of state rivals.

If a program is going to build a contender in today’s game. It’s centered around getting “your guy” not just a high ranking for fans to brag about.

Advertisement
(I’m positing this here because its really related to the dialogue on potential candidates for FSU more so than just recruiting.)

I read in the Leach to FSU rumor thread that when ppl said Leach “wasn’t a recruiter” others countered with “FSU recruits itself”. I.e. the program will build itself and on brand alone provide any coach with a loaded roster...

to an extend that is true but.....

Canes should know differently.

In this big money era of CFB it’s not just about getting 4* and 5* it’s about getting the right 4* and 5*.

If Golden signs Dalvin Cook instead of Joe Yearby, he probably could have made it at least another year. Cook was just that good.

The Narrative surrounding last years FSU team was that they had “no talent” really...in Jimbos final 3 seasons his composite class ranking were 3 and 3 and 6.

In 2015 be signed 4-5* alone players that were to be JRs and SRs Willies 1st year. Now the story of those classes are “they were loaded with bust”

Larry Coker thought Miami Recruited itself and wound up with bust and bust.

Mark Richt thought UGA recruited itself and lost the top QBs to out of state rivals.

If a program is going to build a contender in today’s game. It’s centered around getting “your guy” not just a high ranking for fans to brag about.
So you are saying hire frigging Butch Davis your dumb asses, right. Nobody got the RIGTH guy like him.

He needed bags at UNC and he hasn't done chit.....EVER. He had a run about 20 years ago, but things change and Booch sucks
You could be right but given our fantastic success with every other hire, taking a shot at lightning in a bottle one more time is hardly a silly idea. Butch did no better than nice at UNC and yes they had crap going on, but that was not Miami. Howard didn't bring any new NCs at Louisville or even OU either, and he is the best coach we ever had.

Advertisement
A school recruits itself when it has great success in recent years. You will land the highly rated players. The OP is right, though. Just because they are highly rated, doesn't mean they are meant for your team. It happened with Coker, Jimbo and even Urban. They landed major recruits, but not all of them were the right fit for the staff or the rest of the team.

As for Butch, he benefited from 4 recent National Championships. Unheard of and unprecedented in the state of Florida. He also didn't have schools across the country watching Youtube highlight reels. He also didn't have schools like Clemson and Bama entrenched in S. Fl like they are now.

He needed bags at UNC and he hasn't done chit.....EVER. He had a run about 20 years ago, but things change and Booch sucks
bds (1).jpg

Advertisement
Back