Off-Topic CIS Musicians - come share your exploits, dreams, conquests and gear...

Suhrthing

Recruit
So I'm a guitarist, from a kind-of musical family. I learned to play drums/keys/guitar (mostly self-taught) by the time I was a mid-teen. It's been the only hobby in my life that has been mostly constant and never seriously waned. I don't make a living at it, but it does pay for itself - and I'd much rather be playing guitar for a living than what I do.... but enough about me.

Lets celebrate the musicians of CIS... in whatever way you feel like it.

I'll start...
Today was a NGD (new guitar day) for me... a seafoam LP-special styled guitar. I'm trying to work it into my cover-band gig.

20230308_154104.jpg

@ben

Advertisement
6A108A52-95A9-48BB-9B31-252952E95D6F.jpeg

My ibanez collection pictured here.

Two blazers in the back and two rs335s in the front — the black one has a fender 54 in the neck and Duncan Frankenstein in the bridge. The cream one has a fender Eric Johnson in the neck and a dimarzio Eric Johnson in the bridge.

A cousin of mine has played bass guitar for almost 50 years. He’s been in several bands throughout the years and played in **** near every club and bar in Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties. If you do gigs in that area, you may very well know him. He’s pretty well known in the SoFL music community. .

Advertisement
Snagged a new tele for a live project at black friday pricing....

Plays amazing, sounds amazing. It's finish is called Miami Blue... how fitting.

1700697686541.png

Advertisement
View attachment 268172
Lookie what I got on eBay
WANT! Looked it up on Reverb, look what this goon is selling his for....

Advertisement
Any of y'all got any tips on learning guitar? I tried going through the online stuff with Fender but it grew stale to me.

Any of y'all got any tips on learning guitar? I tried going through the online stuff with Fender but it grew stale to me.
start a band! i kid ... kinda.

my boring answer is get a Mel Bay chords book and then learn how to transpose certain chord fingerings as barre chords so that you can convert the chord to any note. likewise, if you are looking to learn lead guitar, get a scales/modes/arpeggios book.

my more realistic answer is, pick a few songs you want to learn how to play, pull up the guitar tabs online, and learn to play them. and try to focus on songs that are simpler (e.g. it is easier to learn something like "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley than it is to learn "Layla").

regardless, practice slowly to focus on picking accuracy, articulation, and minimizing muting and unnecessary ringing. gradually increase the speed toward playing speed, then play along with the original track recording to perfect your timing.

Advertisement
Depends on what your goals are. I never had any lessons, but having some probably would have expedited my beginner's learning curve. I would recommend getting a few month's of in-person lessons to get you off the ground. Then start to learn your favorite guitar songs - preferably by ear. Learn some music theory or number charts if you want to start playing open-mics or in bands.

If you want get good - you're in for a daily practice investment. Of all of my hobbies I've turned into side gigs - guitar, woodworking, photography; music has been the most enjoyable - but not necessarily as lucrative, but lucrative nonetheless.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back