CIS Mailbag: Preseason Edition

View as article

Canes Legacy

Senior
Premium
We have a loaded mailbag for you in this first ever Preseason Edition! Topics include season outlook, Bama talk, Disney princesses, and much more. Enjoy!

@Empirical Cane: What is your take on how Zion Nelson matches up with Bama DEs? Who is the next most important OL position against Bama after LT?

The good news for Zion Nelson is he’s going to get a chance to live up to the preseason hype of being a potential 1st rounder. Bama has a variety of talented, experienced guys they can throw at him. Chris Allen and Will Anderson are their tweener, OLB/DE types that can speed rush. They also have their 3-4 DEs they can line up over him if they so choose; Phidarain Mathis and Labryan Ray. They’ll test Nelson’s strength with a bull-rush. I’m confident Nelson will hold up just fine against Bama when 1v1 provided he's healthy.

The next most important OL for Bama is Corey Gaynor. He’s struggled against size/strength the last few years and Bama has plenty of that. Their nose tackle, DJ Dale, can be a handful and if Gaynor is getting pushed back, the offense is going to have a tough time getting into a rhythm. I also expect Bama to bring plenty of pressure which falls on Gaynor to help get the protections set. - Bill

@Empirical Cane : Dear Blake James and Jim Phillips,

Did Greg Sankey gently mushroom stamp your foreheads or was it more a thunderous clap of waaah-pow!!?

Signed,

ACC falling behind

I believe this question has to do with the SEC’s acquisition of Texas and Oklahoma and how it relates to the ACC’s pecking order in college football. There is no doubt that the SEC landed a major punch to the rest of the college football world by taking UT/OU from the Big12. It was reported that the ACC was involved in talks with UT/OU about joining the conference which would have been a major coup. However, you can’t fault them for joining the SEC with the amount of $ pouring in to that conference (thanks ESPN).

BUT, to their credit, the ACC along with the Big10 and Pac12 landed a counterpunch with this new “alliance”. This could in theory offset some of the SEC’s power if the 3 commissioners can agree on the issues going forward. What if they are able to squash this new 12 team playoff and keep it at 4? The UT/OU acquisition all of a sudden doesn’t seem like that impactful since only 1, maybe 2, teams from the SEC will get in. There’s a lot still to play out but if the alliance can stay united, the ACC will be fine. - Bill

@CaneThang2020: Which of the three freshman WRs has been the most impressive thus far?

Based on practice reports and what we’re hearing, it’s Jacolby George. One of the positives of camp so far though is that it isn’t necessarily a knock on Brinson or Brashard Smith. All 3 have impressed and have made their fair share of plays but George is standing out the most as of now. We’re only a few weeks in so we’ll see if he can maintain that consistency. I don’t expect to see much of the freshmen against Bama but I’m really looking forward to App St where we should (hopefully) get our first glimpse of them in live action. - Bill

@LoungeLord: Will Manny be a better or worse head coach now that he has taken on the job of DC as well as head coach?

This is Manny’s “prove it” year. He’s betting on himself that he can be both an effective DC and HC. I don’t think taking on the defense is going to pull him away from HC duties as Lashlee essentially has full control of the offense and calls the shots there. Bringing in a guy like Bob Shoop was crucial for Diaz as Shoop can take on a lot of the game planning and responsibilities during the week. The goal for Manny is to get the defense back to what it was prior to Baker destroying what was built. I think he can do it but I do have questions if we have the raw talent to do so, especially on the edge. - Bill

@IndayArtHauz: 1a. Lbs - What’s the best and worst case for this group, and how much does it help or hurt the season?

Best case for the LBs is we see breakthroughs from multiple of the younger guys (Huff, Cave, Flagg) while Keontra Smith shows he’s a true WLB. This would give us really good depth and with Huff and Cave breaking through, much needed athleticism. We also have some veterans in Steed and Jennings that could surprise as well. Is it possible for this group to go from complete liability to a strength? Sure. Likely? Probably not.

Worst case is we see a mildly improved unit but one that is still below average when compared to the rest of the defense. They continue to get caught out of position, filling the wrong gaps, and whiffing on tackles. I don’t see this as likely either because I expect improvement from Cave in his 2nd year and Smith will be an upgrade over McCloud, that I can pretty much guarantee.

1b. (Same question for WRs.)

Best case is Rambo becomes a true #1, Harley gives us the same production as last year, and Keyshawn Smith becomes a legitimate threat on the outside. That would be 3 explosive WRs that the defense would need to account for. Oh, they also catch the ball when it’s thrown to them.

Worst case is the dropsies are back, Rambo turns out to be just okay, Smith is inconsistent, and Harley is our #1 from the slot. Pope and Wiggins struggle again with drops and creating separation on the outside. The freshmen and 2nd year guys don’t develop and ride the pine pony. The entire offense struggles at times because defenses can just load the box...again.

2. Lets pretend the DT unit is stronger than the DEs. To my knowledge that’s never been the case under Manny (excusing Willis by himself), so I’m curious how the philosophy changes on D if that’s the case.

I don’t think it changes the philosophy, it will still be attack, attack, attack, and then attack some more. Maybe Diaz brings different pressures off the edge to try and create 1v1 matchups on the inside. DE is a concern going into the year and the DTs will need to elevate their game to help make up for the losses of Roche and Phillips. Harvey to me is the X-factor as he has the potential to be a monster off the edge but just needs to put it all together.

3. I’m high on the DBs and think they’ll be much more aggressive, smart and assertive. If so, how does that impact the front 7?

If Diaz/T-Rob allow the corners to jam, which I think is the strength of a lot of our CBs, that will only help the front 7 by disrupting the offense and making the QB hold the ball for a tad bit longer than normal. That’s not sustainable every down but we need more discipline in our zone coverage than what we saw last year where we didn’t challenge the QB enough to throw into tight windows. We have the talent to have a very good secondary and if the scheme and coaching align, we can see some good things.

4. Some fans were unhappy with the TE usage last season, while I think the stats (and my flawless memory) show they were used somewhere between an average to above average way. Who’s right? (A second complaint is that Lashlee didn’t utilize both TEs at once, as he promised preseason, but I think Brevin’s injuries played into that hesitation and limited his opportunity.)

Let’s take a look at the numbers. Brevin Jordan had 38 catches/576 yards and Will Mallory had 22 catches/329 yards so that’s 60 catches/905 yards for our top 2 tight ends. Let’s compare to UF (Pitts/Gamble 53 catches/830 yards) and BC (Long/Witter 63 catches/749 yards). I picked those 2 because they had TEs drafted high, I didn’t sort through every team. I’d say Miami’s TE usage was well above average. Don’t forget we also had some plays called back on penalties that may have pushed us over 1,000 yards. No complaints from me in terms of usage.

Utilizing 2 tight ends at once I think could be a valid complaint especially with the WRs being as bad as they were. Jordan’s injury plays a factor but I’m curious to see what Lashlee does with a full offseason and Mallory paired with Arroyo. That could be dangerous. - Bill

@ben: Beat chicken tender dipping sauce: bbq, honey mustard, ranch, ketchup or nacho cheese?

I’m a Ranch guy about 70% of the time. It’s the best but I don't ignore the other choices. The other 30% is split between BBQ and honey mustard.

Speaking of honey mustard, I was at a restaurant that served their fried calamari with honey mustard. I thought it was going to be a terrible combination but their honey mustard was creamy and the best I’ve ever had. It would pair perfectly with chicken as well. I made the waiter get me the recipe and it’s mayo, sour cream, honey, dijon mustard, and rosemary. Let me know when you make it. - Bill

@RVACane: Will LCE post a long awaited post-Bama game recap or will he continue to ghost CIS by kicking the proverbial can down the road?

I don’t know LCE so I hope all is well with him. CIS is the most addicting message board on the planet so I don't see how he can stay away much longer. -Bill

@Canedog: If Miami beatz Alabama, how will you celebrate?

Once the clock reads 00:00, I’ll give it a minute or 2 in case Saban/ESPN/SEC try to pull some shenanigans. After that I’ll go to my humidor, get a La Flor Dominicana Andalusian Bull (#1 cigar from 2016), a glass of the most expensive Bourbon I have, and enjoy myself for 2 hours basking in the glory. After that, I’m going on a 3 day bender in which all kinds of legal and illegal substances will enter my body. I don’t want to be specific because I don’t need the feds kicking down my door again. - Bill

@Canedog: If you were to be reincarnated as a dog, what breed of dog would you like to come back as?

If you’re going to be a dog, you better be something with a few key traits:
  1. Bad *** look
  2. Name that connotes both strength and class
  3. Significant appearances in pop culture

I’m left with three top options that cover all of those categories: German Shepherd, English Mastiff, and St. Bernard. As much as I love Beethoven and The Sandlot, I think the sleek yet powerful German Shepherd, as seen in the legendary dog Rin Tin Tin, is the move. -Chris

@24/7canes: Was wondering how a few of the freshmen are coming along that we don't hear much about? Rodriguez and Seymore are two I was curious about.

It’s not uncommon this time of year to not hear much about freshmen OL. They both need to get stronger and get acclimated to facing grown men every down. It appears they are trying Seymore at center and Rodriguez at guard to start their careers but that is subject to change as Garin Justice gets to work with them more. I wouldn’t expect either one to get playing time this year outside of major blowouts (CCSU and FSU). -Bill

@yessirking: Which team does Miami unpredictably struggle against only to pull away late in the 4th?

Any coastal team would be a good answer but I’m going to surprise and say Michigan State. Yes, they were terrible on all sides of the ball last year but return a lot of experience and went portal hunting quite a bit to fill some holes. A noon game against a Big10 team has the makings of a dogfight through 3 quarters. Hope I'm wrong though. -Bill

@Tad Footeball: Would you rather bang nothing else but a solid 8 for an entire year or a different 5 every week for that same year?

A year isn’t all that long in the grand scheme of things so I’ll take quality of quantity in this instance. You can only brag so many times about the 5s before it loses its luster within your circle of friends. Most on this board may disagree since they bang a different 10 everyday, but I stand by my answer. -Bill

@SinisterCane: With Wiggins and Pope being Sr's, will they transfer if they don't start?

They are technically still JRs with the extra year of eligibility due to Covid so they have this year and next year if they choose to use it. If they don’t start and the young guns are getting PT over them, it makes sense for them to transfer next year to try and put productive seasons together before trying out for the pros. They have gotten a lot of heat with the drops, and rightfully so, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility for them to learn and develop. Look at what Hankerson did after having a rough few years to start his career here. Not saying they will set records or anything like that but maybe 1 of them surprises this year. -Bill

@RVACane: Is it true that @Go Canes!! will be giving the team the pre-Bama game speech?

15-0. -Bill

@Ksoze8: What will be different this year from last year regarding stopping the run? We gave up 600 yards to UNC and we open against a traditional power ground game. With a new staff and the loss of 2 first round DEs what will be different this year for Manny’s Defense?

Jess Simpson. He’ll bring a more disciplined approach up front while still living up to the aggressive philosophy Diaz has. I only re-watched the UNC game once, but they knew exactly how our DL would play and used it against us. We can’t get any worse LB play either which will help in the run game.

One other factor is we now have a group of 4 grown men at DT. Ford, Miller, Nesta, and JHH have all been here for 3+ years. No excuse for this group to get pushed around. We also have a unicorn in Leonard Taylor who will see a good amount of snaps this year. -Bill

@Mnhurricane: Will our defense make any QB look pedestrian all year or will they all achieve Kenny Pickett status?

Our aggressive nature on defense will allow some mediocre QBs to look better against us, it’s inevitable. Will that arise to the legendary Kenny Pickett status? No. Not even Tom Brady can get to Kenny Pickett status. Trob will fix the issues on the backend. -Bill

@miamicanephins: Using the term "mailbag" seems so sexual, is CIS endorsing debauchery?

Are you new here? -Bill

@GojiraCane: How significantly has the Miami football operation been upgraded from the days of Al Golden, or even Mark Richt? From recruiting, hiring of analysts, and other moves I get the sense that there is a heavy amount of positive momentum that has been generated, and that while this has not manifested itself fully yet on the field, we've hit a pivot point to a return as a prominent program. Am I wrong?

You aren’t wrong. We’ve been a clown show of a program for a while now but it appears we are about to stabilize. Richt helped a ton with facilities and getting the operations back in order, despite his stubbornness in running an offense. Diaz is still learning on the job but you have to give him credit in his ability to identify issues and resolve them. This applies to coordinators, finally bringing in a “big name” analyst, assistant coaches, changing the recruiting strategy, etc. All that’s left to do is win and this program will take off. -Bill

@BWCD: I'd like your reactions to this hypothetical:

We beat Bama in a classic game somehow...like 30-27, last second Andy Borregales FG wins it. We vault into the top 5 and are in Playoff discussion, and the recruiting class has multiple guys like Stewart, Singletary, Bissainthe, etc start jumping on board.

HOWEVER

We end up losing 2 regular season games to ACC foes, finish 3rd in the Coastal. 10 wins, but 3rd in the division. Losses are mainly due to injuries suffered against Bama that linger on. Decent bowl game against a ranked team. Recruiting class finishes somewhere between 8th-12th in the country.

Given that - Are you happy with that season's outcome? Do you feel that Diaz's job is safe?

10-2 regardless of who we lose to probably gets Diaz an extension. We’ll get that out of the way now. But to your hypothetical, a 10-2 season with a win over Alabama? Sign me up (provided one of the 2 losses isn’t to FSU)! A win vs Bama is a game changer both in terms of national perception and recruiting. Assuming 1 of the losses is to UNC, which is a “respectable” loss in my opinion, the other loss would be a “bad” one regardless of who it’s to. That wouldn’t offset the win over Bama though. My expectations are 10-2 anyway, so giving me a monumental win included in that, I’m happy. -Bill

@Fzac75: Is ABBA Sweden's greatest export?

Did you know that Sweden invented zippers? Doesn’t matter. IKEA is simultaneously the greatest and worst thing to ever come out of Sweden. No debating that. -Chris

@Fzac75: Who do you have on the Hebrew Mount Rushmore/Sinai?

I have in order:
1 - Mel Brooks
2 - Neil Diamond
3 - Moses
4 - Abraham

(due to conversion reasons Jesus is exempt)

Discuss

It’s hard not to have Moses at the top. Parting the Red Sea is a big time move, and ultimately that’s a hard thing to ignore when taking stock of the moments of truly elite action. For that, I have him #1. You need one really smart guy on there, so I’m going with Einstein over Frued. He can slot in at #2. I like the idea of providing some parity here, so I’ll go into the world of athletics and make Sandy Koufax #3. Then, to wrap it up, I’ll also go with an entertainer, a legend of comedy, Rodney Dangerfield at #4. -Chris

@Colombie: Who do you think will finish second in the Heisman race behind a 15-0 King?

IF, and it’s a big if, we go 15-0, I don’t see how King isn’t holding the trophy at the end of the year. I think Spencer Rattler will put up your typical Oklahoma QB numbers and dominate the Big12. He’s my prediction to finish 2nd. -Bill

@grover: My questions:

0. Will this offense be the most productive at Miami in 20 years?

Yes, there’s no excuse not to be. We are in the 2nd year of Lashlee, have a dynamic and experienced QB, a veteran OL, and plenty of weapons at the skill positions. -

1. Why is our HC / former DC such a ****** talent evaluator and recruiter?

The jury is still out on how Diaz is as a talent evaluator as a head coach. He’s entering year 3 so this is the year to really judge and see the product that’s on the field. As a recruiter, he’s the opposite of ******. 2019 was a transition class after taking over for Richt but 2020 and 2021 were both top 15 classes on Rivals and top 20 classes on 247. If there is a winning product on the field, we’ll land another top 15 class.

2. Is he actively working to find a TRob copy at LB coach for 2022?

He’s going to give Patke a chance to develop that LB room. Patke, despite the negative recruiting reputation, has done really good work with the strikers and I don’t see why he can’t elevate the LBs in a similar manner. He has to land Wesley Bissainthe though, that’s non-negotiable for me. If there is a LB version of Trob out there, you go get him regardless and figure out what to do with Patke.

3. Will Paranos ever kick his thick ladies fetish?

Not a chance. Once you go down that road, there’s no coming back.

4. Assuming Nelson, Vaughn, Gaynor, Rivers, Williams and Scaife are our starting 5+1 OL, who are 7, 8 and 9?

As of now with Campbell and Clark hurt; Oluwaseaun, Traore, and Herbert/Hillery.

5. Assuming Flagg is not good enough to play MLB and Brooks is not back from injury, do we mirror LBs and not have a true MLB?

In that scenario, I think Cave would play MLB. He’s been getting reps there and would pair with Keontra Smith at WLB. Cave could be a surprise this year.

6. Who are DE #4 and 5? Assuming McCloud and Harvey need help at DE, do we accelerate the schedule for Chantz Williams or move Roberts over?

Depth at DE became a problem very quickly for a position that’s been so successful for us recently. Chantz would be #4 in all likelihood and Roberts/Quentin Williams are candidates to get reps as they came in at DE and haven’t quite bulked up to true DTs just yet. We’ve seen Roberts’ athleticism on kickoff coverage so he wouldn’t be out of place playing on the edge. -Bill

@LokiCane: Did Hitler really run Germany or did Blondi run it behind the scenes?

Only human beings are capable of committing such atrocities that occurred in **** Germany.

@JD08: Which Disney princess would each CIS staff member be?

This is an easy one:

@DMoney - the key traits at work here are his diligent dedication to his work, as well as his undeniable aura of mystery. By keeping many at arm’s length, it allows him to reach his goals quickly and efficiently. This is why MULAN is the perfect princess comparison. She too kept her identity a secret in order to achieve success in her craft. Her experience in battle also reflects on D$’s work on the greatest battlefield of all: the CIS Message board.

@Andrew - Always lurking on the board and constantly ready to take on any challenges that might come his way, Andrew is a steadying presence. While he rarely makes it about himself, he’s an integral part of the machine that is CIS, just like SNOW WHITE is fundamental to Disney. He’s also constantly surrounded by his helpful dwarves (the mods).

@Stefan Adams - Younger than most with a tremendous burden of being the Managing Editor of a group of rag tag degenerates, Stefan shines with a quick wit and a diligent work ethic. ELSA also had to step into a role as leader after the sudden departure of a former ruler, and has similarly led her kingdom into a place of great prosperity. He’s also a tremendous singer based on what I’ve heard from CanesInSight Christmas party stories.

@Lance Roffers - All about his business and the numbers, Lance has more sheets in his google drive than charmin has in their factory. His analytical mind is a boon for CIS’s stable of writers, just like BELLE’s presence helps to tame the foul Beast. Belle, like Lance, was an avid reader and a regular in the library, but would no doubt be digging into Lance’s video tape scouting library if it was available in mid-18th century France.

@RVACane - One of the heavy hitters when it comes to the ban hammer, RVA applies the pressure and sets numerous tones on any given day. Like RVA, MERIDA doesn’t f*** around. Merida was doubted for a while, but she never hesitated to battle murderous WereBears (trolls) when rescuing her mother (CanesInSight) was at stake. She might play nice on occasion, but never forget that she will straight up kill you with arrows.

@IndayArtHauz - Inday’s been around the block on Canes message boards, so very little affects him. He’s cold blooded in his surgical removal of trolls from the message board, flipping a switch from his normal, fun loving when necessary. At the end of Wreck it Ralph, when VENELOPE was revealed as the rightful queen, she immediately sentenced those who had wronged her to death. Sure, she played it off like a joke, but we know it was a threat; after all, she was just moments before celebrating the untimely end of King Candy. The comparisons are uncanny.

Bill from CanesLegacy- Bill’s role on the CL team sees him wading through the rough and adventure-inducing waters of CIS, including writing 97% of each mailbag we do. Bill resembles a steady sea captain, as does MOANA, whose passion lies in taking to the sea and exploring the world, no matter how treacherous the waters might be. It’s also fitting that she is guided by the demi-god Maui. Maui is voiced by the Rock, who many say looks very similar to Bill’s hero and life coach, Chris from CanesLegacy.

Chris from CanesLegacy- Despite his dedicated nature, brilliance, and Rock-like charisma, Chris’s modesty is often said to be his greatest trait. A diamond among diamonds, he can easily be compared to the enchanting ARIEL, who shined even among a sea of princesses (her six sisters), both with her magical voice and her passion for pushing herself to achieve her own personal legend. - Chris

Last edited:
Advertisement
We have a loaded mailbag for you in this first ever Preseason Edition! Topics include season outlook, Bama talk, Disney princesses, and much more. Enjoy!

@Empirical Cane: What is your take on how Zion Nelson matches up with Bama DEs? Who is the next most important OL position against Bama after LT?

The good news for Zion Nelson is he’s going to get a chance to live up to the preseason hype of being a potential 1st rounder. Bama has a variety of talented, experienced guys they can throw at him. Chris Allen and Will Anderson are their tweener, OLB/DE types that can speed rush. They also have their 3-4 DEs they can line up over him if they so choose; Phidarain Mathis and Labryan Ray. They’ll test Nelson’s strength with a bull-rush. I’m confident Nelson will hold up just fine against Bama when 1v1 provided he's healthy.

The next most important OL for Bama is Corey Gaynor. He’s struggled against size/strength the last few years and Bama has plenty of that. Their nose tackle, DJ Dale, can be a handful and if Gaynor is getting pushed back, the offense is going to have a tough time getting into a rhythm. I also expect Bama to bring plenty of pressure which falls on Gaynor to help get the protections set. - Bill

@Empirical Cane : Dear Blake James and Jim Phillips,

Did Greg Sankey gently mushroom stamp your foreheads or was it more a thunderous clap of waaah-pow!!?

Signed,

ACC falling behind

I believe this question has to do with the SEC’s acquisition of Texas and Oklahoma and how it relates to the ACC’s pecking order in college football. There is no doubt that the SEC landed a major punch to the rest of the college football world by taking UT/OU from the Big12. It was reported that the ACC was involved in talks with UT/OU about joining the conference which would have been a major coup. However, you can’t fault them for joining the SEC with the amount of $ pouring in to that conference (thanks ESPN).

BUT, to their credit, the ACC along with the Big10 and Pac12 landed a counterpunch with this new “alliance”. This could in theory offset some of the SEC’s power if the 3 commissioners can agree on the issues going forward. What if they are able to squash this new 12 team playoff and keep it at 4? The UT/OU acquisition all of a sudden doesn’t seem like that impactful since only 1, maybe 2, teams from the SEC will get in. There’s a lot still to play out but if the alliance can stay united, the ACC will be fine. - Bill

@CaneThang2020: Which of the three freshman WRs has been the most impressive thus far?

Based on practice reports and what we’re hearing, it’s Jacolby George. One of the positives of camp so far though is that it isn’t necessarily a knock on Brinson or Brashard Smith. All 3 have impressed and have made their fair share of plays but George is standing out the most as of now. We’re only a few weeks in so we’ll see if he can maintain that consistency. I don’t expect to see much of the freshmen against Bama but I’m really looking forward to App St where we should (hopefully) get our first glimpse of them in live action. - Bill

@LoungeLord: Will Manny be a better or worse head coach now that he has taken on the job of DC as well as head coach?

This is Manny’s “prove it” year. He’s betting on himself that he can be both an effective DC and HC. I don’t think taking on the defense is going to pull him away from HC duties as Lashlee essentially has full control of the offense and calls the shots there. Bringing in a guy like Bob Shoop was crucial for Diaz as Shoop can take on a lot of the game planning and responsibilities during the week. The goal for Manny is to get the defense back to what it was prior to Baker destroying what was built. I think he can do it but I do have questions if we have the raw talent to do so, especially on the edge. - Bill

@IndayArtHauz: 1a. Lbs - What’s the best and worst case for this group, and how much does it help or hurt the season?

Best case for the LBs is we see breakthroughs from multiple of the younger guys (Huff, Cave, Flagg) while Keontra Smith shows he’s a true WLB. This would give us really good depth and with Huff and Cave breaking through, much needed athleticism. We also have some veterans in Steed and Jennings that could surprise as well. Is it possible for this group to go from complete liability to a strength? Sure. Likely? Probably not.

Worst case is we see a mildly improved unit but one that is still below average when compared to the rest of the defense. They continue to get caught out of position, filling the wrong gaps, and whiffing on tackles. I don’t see this as likely either because I expect improvement from Cave in his 2nd year and Smith will be an upgrade over McCloud, that I can pretty much guarantee.

1b. (Same question for WRs.)

Best case is Rambo becomes a true #1, Harley gives us the same production as last year, and Keyshawn Smith becomes a legitimate threat on the outside. That would be 3 explosive WRs that the defense would need to account for. Oh, they also catch the ball when it’s thrown to them.

Worst case is the dropsies are back, Rambo turns out to be just okay, Smith is inconsistent, and Harley is our #1 from the slot. Pope and Wiggins struggle again with drops and creating separation on the outside. The freshmen and 2nd year guys don’t develop and ride the pine pony. The entire offense struggles at times because defenses can just load the box...again.

2. Lets pretend the DT unit is stronger than the DEs. To my knowledge that’s never been the case under Manny (excusing Willis by himself), so I’m curious how the philosophy changes on D if that’s the case.

I don’t think it changes the philosophy, it will still be attack, attack, attack, and then attack some more. Maybe Diaz brings different pressures off the edge to try and create 1v1 matchups on the inside. DE is a concern going into the year and the DTs will need to elevate their game to help make up for the losses of Roche and Phillips. Harvey to me is the X-factor as he has the potential to be a monster off the edge but just needs to put it all together.

3. I’m high on the DBs and think they’ll be much more aggressive, smart and assertive. If so, how does that impact the front 7?

If Diaz/T-Rob allow the corners to jam, which I think is the strength of a lot of our CBs, that will only help the front 7 by disrupting the offense and making the QB hold the ball for a tad bit longer than normal. That’s not sustainable every down but we need more discipline in our zone coverage than what we saw last year where we didn’t challenge the QB enough to throw into tight windows. We have the talent to have a very good secondary and if the scheme and coaching align, we can see some good things.

4. Some fans were unhappy with the TE usage last season, while I think the stats (and my flawless memory) show they were used somewhere between an average to above average way. Who’s right? (A second complaint is that Lashlee didn’t utilize both TEs at once, as he promised preseason, but I think Brevin’s injuries played into that hesitation and limited his opportunity.)

Let’s take a look at the numbers. Brevin Jordan had 38 catches/576 yards and Will Mallory had 22 catches/329 yards so that’s 60 catches/905 yards for our top 2 tight ends. Let’s compare to UF (Pitts/Gamble 53 catches/830 yards) and BC (Long/Witter 63 catches/749 yards). I picked those 2 because they had TEs drafted high, I didn’t sort through every team. I’d say Miami’s TE usage was well above average. Don’t forget we also had some plays called back on penalties that may have pushed us over 1,000 yards. No complaints from me in terms of usage.

Utilizing 2 tight ends at once I think could be a valid complaint especially with the WRs being as bad as they were. Jordan’s injury plays a factor but I’m curious to see what Lashlee does with a full offseason and Mallory paired with Arroyo. That could be dangerous. - Bill

@ben: Beat chicken tender dipping sauce: bbq, honey mustard, ranch, ketchup or nacho cheese?

I’m a Ranch guy about 70% of the time. It’s the best but I don't ignore the other choices. The other 30% is split between BBQ and honey mustard.

Speaking of honey mustard, I was at a restaurant that served their fried calamari with honey mustard. I thought it was going to be a terrible combination but their honey mustard was creamy and the best I’ve ever had. It would pair perfectly with chicken as well. I made the waiter get me the recipe and it’s mayo, sour cream, honey, dijon mustard, and rosemary. Let me know when you make it. - Bill

@RVACane: Will LCE post a long awaited post-Bama game recap or will he continue to ghost CIS by kicking the proverbial can down the road?

I don’t know LCE so I hope all is well with him. CIS is the most addicting message board on the planet so I don't see how he can stay away much longer. -Bill

@Canedog: If Miami beatz Alabama, how will you celebrate?

Once the clock reads 00:00, I’ll give it a minute or 2 in case Saban/ESPN/SEC try to pull some shenanigans. After that I’ll go to my humidor, get a La Flor Dominicana Andalusian Bull (#1 cigar from 2016), a glass of the most expensive Bourbon I have, and enjoy myself for 2 hours basking in the glory. After that, I’m going on a 3 day bender in which all kinds of legal and illegal substances will enter my body. I don’t want to be specific because I don’t need the feds kicking down my door again. - Bill

@Canedog: If you were to be reincarnated as a dog, what breed of dog would you like to come back as?

If you’re going to be a dog, you better be something with a few key traits:
  1. Bad *** look
  2. Name that connotes both strength and class
  3. Significant appearances in pop culture

I’m left with three top options that cover all of those categories: German Shepherd, English Mastiff, and St. Bernard. As much as I love Beethoven and The Sandlot, I think the sleek yet powerful German Shepherd, as seen in the legendary dog Rin Tin Tin, is the move. -Chris

@24/7canes: Was wondering how a few of the freshmen are coming along that we don't hear much about? Rodriguez and Seymore are two I was curious about.

It’s not uncommon this time of year to not hear much about freshmen OL. They both need to get stronger and get acclimated to facing grown men every down. It appears they are trying Seymore at center and Rodriguez at guard to start their careers but that is subject to change as Garin Justice gets to work with them more. I wouldn’t expect either one to get playing time this year outside of major blowouts (CCSU and FSU). -Bill

@yessirking: Which team does Miami unpredictably struggle against only to pull away late in the 4th?

Any coastal team would be a good answer but I’m going to surprise and say Michigan State. Yes, they were terrible on all sides of the ball last year but return a lot of experience and went portal hunting quite a bit to fill some holes. A noon game against a Big10 team has the makings of a dogfight through 3 quarters. Hope I'm wrong though. -Bill

@Tad Footeball: Would you rather bang nothing else but a solid 8 for an entire year or a different 5 every week for that same year?

A year isn’t all that long in the grand scheme of things so I’ll take quality of quantity in this instance. You can only brag so many times about the 5s before it loses its luster within your circle of friends. Most on this board may disagree since they bang a different 10 everyday, but I stand by my answer. -Bill

@SinisterCane: With Wiggins and Pope being Sr's, will they transfer if they don't start?

They are technically still JRs with the extra year of eligibility due to Covid so they have this year and next year if they choose to use it. If they don’t start and the young guns are getting PT over them, it makes sense for them to transfer next year to try and put productive seasons together before trying out for the pros. They have gotten a lot of heat with the drops, and rightfully so, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility for them to learn and develop. Look at what Hankerson did after having a rough few years to start his career here. Not saying they will set records or anything like that but maybe 1 of them surprises this year. -Bill

@RVACane: Is it true that @Go Canes!! will be giving the team the pre-Bama game speech?

15-0. -Bill

@Ksoze8: What will be different this year from last year regarding stopping the run? We gave up 600 yards to UNC and we open against a traditional power ground game. With a new staff and the loss of 2 first round DEs what will be different this year for Manny’s Defense?

Jess Simpson. He’ll bring a more disciplined approach up front while still living up to the aggressive philosophy Diaz has. I only re-watched the UNC game once, but they knew exactly how our DL would play and used it against us. We can’t get any worse LB play either which will help in the run game.

One other factor is we now have a group of 4 grown men at DT. Ford, Miller, Nesta, and JHH have all been here for 3+ years. No excuse for this group to get pushed around. We also have a unicorn in Leonard Taylor who will see a good amount of snaps this year. -Bill

@Mnhurricane: Will our defense make any QB look pedestrian all year or will they all achieve Kenny Pickett status?

Our aggressive nature on defense will allow some mediocre QBs to look better against us, it’s inevitable. Will that arise to the legendary Kenny Pickett status? No. Not even Tom Brady can get to Kenny Pickett status. Trob will fix the issues on the backend. -Bill

@miamicanephins: Using the term "mailbag" seems so sexual, is CIS endorsing debauchery?

Are you new here? -Bill

@GojiraCane: How significantly has the Miami football operation been upgraded from the days of Al Golden, or even Mark Richt? From recruiting, hiring of analysts, and other moves I get the sense that there is a heavy amount of positive momentum that has been generated, and that while this has not manifested itself fully yet on the field, we've hit a pivot point to a return as a prominent program. Am I wrong?

You aren’t wrong. We’ve been a clown show of a program for a while now but it appears we are about to stabilize. Richt helped a ton with facilities and getting the operations back in order, despite his stubbornness in running an offense. Diaz is still learning on the job but you have to give him credit in his ability to identify issues and resolve them. This applies to coordinators, finally bringing in a “big name” analyst, assistant coaches, changing the recruiting strategy, etc. All that’s left to do is win and this program will take off. -Bill

@BWCD: I'd like your reactions to this hypothetical:

We beat Bama in a classic game somehow...like 30-27, last second Andy Borregales FG wins it. We vault into the top 5 and are in Playoff discussion, and the recruiting class has multiple guys like Stewart, Singletary, Bissainthe, etc start jumping on board.

HOWEVER

We end up losing 2 regular season games to ACC foes, finish 3rd in the Coastal. 10 wins, but 3rd in the division. Losses are mainly due to injuries suffered against Bama that linger on. Decent bowl game against a ranked team. Recruiting class finishes somewhere between 8th-12th in the country.

Given that - Are you happy with that season's outcome? Do you feel that Diaz's job is safe?

10-2 regardless of who we lose to probably gets Diaz an extension. We’ll get that out of the way now. But to your hypothetical, a 10-2 season with a win over Alabama? Sign me up (provided one of the 2 losses isn’t to FSU)! A win vs Bama is a game changer both in terms of national perception and recruiting. Assuming 1 of the losses is to UNC, which is a “respectable” loss in my opinion, the other loss would be a “bad” one regardless of who it’s to. That wouldn’t offset the win over Bama though. My expectations are 10-2 anyway, so giving me a monumental win included in that, I’m happy. -Bill

@Fzac75: Is ABBA Sweden's greatest export?

Did you know that Sweden invented zippers? Doesn’t matter. IKEA is simultaneously the greatest and worst thing to ever come out of Sweden. No debating that. -Chris

@Fzac75: Who do you have on the Hebrew Mount Rushmore/Sinai?

I have in order:
1 - Mel Brooks
2 - Neil Diamond
3 - Moses
4 - Abraham

(due to conversion reasons Jesus is exempt)

Discuss

It’s hard not to have Moses at the top. Parting the Red Sea is a big time move, and ultimately that’s a hard thing to ignore when taking stock of the moments of truly elite action. For that, I have him #1. You need one really smart guy on there, so I’m going with Einstein over Frued. He can slot in at #2. I like the idea of providing some parity here, so I’ll go into the world of athletics and make Sandy Koufax #3. Then, to wrap it up, I’ll also go with an entertainer, a legend of comedy, Rodney Dangerfield at #4. -Chris

@Colombie: Who do you think will finish second in the Heisman race behind a 15-0 King?

IF, and it’s a big if, we go 15-0, I don’t see how King isn’t holding the trophy at the end of the year. I think Spencer Rattler will put up your typical Oklahoma QB numbers and dominate the Big12. He’s my prediction to finish 2nd. -Bill

@grover: My questions:

0. Will this offense be the most productive at Miami in 20 years?

Yes, there’s no excuse not to be. We are in the 2nd year of Lashlee, have a dynamic and experienced QB, a veteran OL, and plenty of weapons at the skill positions. -

1. Why is our HC / former DC such a ****** talent evaluator and recruiter?

The jury is still out on how Diaz is as a talent evaluator as a head coach. He’s entering year 3 so this is the year to really judge and see the product that’s on the field. As a recruiter, he’s the opposite of ******. 2019 was a transition class after taking over for Richt but 2020 and 2021 were both top 15 classes on Rivals and top 20 classes on 247. If there is a winning product on the field, we’ll land another top 15 class.

2. Is he actively working to find a TRob copy at LB coach for 2022?

He’s going to give Patke a chance to develop that LB room. Patke, despite the negative recruiting reputation, has done really good work with the strikers and I don’t see why he can’t elevate the LBs in a similar manner. He has to land Wesley Bissainthe though, that’s non-negotiable for me. If there is a LB version of Trob out there, you go get him regardless and figure out what to do with Patke.

3. Will Paranos ever kick his thick ladies fetish?

Not a chance. Once you go down that road, there’s no coming back.

4. Assuming Nelson, Vaughn, Gaynor, Rivers, Williams and Scaife are our starting 5+1 OL, who are 7, 8 and 9?

As of now with Campbell and Clark hurt; Oluwaseaun, Traore, and Herbert/Hillery.

5. Assuming Flagg is not good enough to play MLB and Brooks is not back from injury, do we mirror LBs and not have a true MLB?

In that scenario, I think Cave would play MLB. He’s been getting reps there and would pair with Keontra Smith at WLB. Cave could be a surprise this year.

6. Who are DE #4 and 5? Assuming McCloud and Harvey need help at DE, do we accelerate the schedule for Chantz Williams or move Roberts over?

Depth at DE became a problem very quickly for a position that’s been so successful for us recently. Chantz would be #4 in all likelihood and Roberts/Quentin Williams are candidates to get reps as they came in at DE and haven’t quite bulked up to true DTs just yet. We’ve seen Roberts’ athleticism on kickoff coverage so he wouldn’t be out of place playing on the edge. -Bill

@LokiCane: Did Hitler really run Germany or did Blondi run it behind the scenes?

Only human beings are capable of committing such atrocities that occurred in **** Germany.

@JD08: Which Disney princess would each CIS staff member be?

This is an easy one:

D$- the key traits at work here are his diligent dedication to his work, as well as his undeniable aura of mystery. By keeping many at arm’s length, it allows him to reach his goals quickly and efficiently. This is why MULAN is the perfect princess comparison. She too kept her identity a secret in order to achieve success in her craft. Her experience in battle also reflects on D$’s work on the greatest battlefield of all: the CIS Message board.

Andrew- Always lurking on the board and constantly ready to take on any challenges that might come his way, Andrew is a steadying presence. While he rarely makes it about himself, he’s an integral part of the machine that is CIS, just like SNOW WHITE is fundamental to Disney. He’s also constantly surrounded by his helpful dwarves (the mods).

Stefan- Younger than most with a tremendous burden of being the Managing Editor of a group of rag tag degenerates, Stefan shines with a quick wit and a diligent work ethic. ELSA also had to step into a role as leader after the sudden departure of a former ruler, and has similarly led her kingdom into a place of great prosperity. He’s also a tremendous singer based on what I’ve heard from CanesInSight Christmas party stories.

Lance Roffers- All about his business and the numbers, Lance has more sheets in his google drive than charmin has in their factory. His analytical mind is a boon for CIS’s stable of writers, just like BELLE’s presence helps to tame the foul Beast. Belle, like Lance, was an avid reader and a regular in the library, but would no doubt be digging into Lance’s video tape scouting library if it was available in mid-18th century France.

RVA- One of the heavy hitters when it comes to the ban hammer, RVA applies the pressure and sets numerous tones on any given day. Like RVA, MERIDA doesn’t f*** around. Merida was doubted for a while, but she never hesitated to battle murderous WereBears (trolls) when rescuing her mother (CanesInSight) was at stake. She might play nice on occasion, but never forget that she will straight up kill you with arrows.

IndayArtHauz- Inday’s been around the block on Canes message boards, so very little affects him. He’s cold blooded in his surgical removal of trolls from the message board, flipping a switch from his normal, fun loving when necessary. At the end of Wreck it Ralph, when VENELOPE was revealed as the rightful queen, she immediately sentenced those who had wronged her to death. Sure, she played it off like a joke, but we know it was a threat; after all, she was just moments before celebrating the untimely end of King Candy. The comparisons are uncanny.

Bill from CanesLegacy- Bill’s role on the CL team sees him wading through the rough and adventure-inducing waters of CIS, including writing 97% of each mailbag we do. Bill resembles a steady sea captain, as does MOANA, whose passion lies in taking to the sea and exploring the world, no matter how treacherous the waters might be. It’s also fitting that she is guided by the demi-god Maui. Maui is voiced by the Rock, who many say looks very similar to Bill’s hero and life coach, Chris from CanesLegacy.

Chris from CanesLegacy- Despite his dedicated nature, brilliance, and Rock-like charisma, Chris’s modesty is often said to be his greatest trait. A diamond among diamonds, he can easily be compared to the enchanting ARIEL, who shined even among a sea of princesses (her six sisters), both with her magical voice and her passion for pushing herself to achieve her own personal legend. - Chris
Haven't read yet, but can't wait!

Advertisement
How You Doin Hello GIF by SVT

Advertisement

Bro I would take the 5’s. I just would. That 8 is gone get old real quick, especially if she not really wit the schit like that. You can only brag so long, but in you can always tell a good story. To me, that’s just a fun year, assuming there are no crazies and my wife don’t find out about none of them. But to each their own my friend. I appreciate your hard work.

Advertisement
WOW that was INCREDIBLE!!! I have never read the mailbags (does sound dirty 😂) before because they seemed so long but for ***cs sake was that one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I laughed my *** off in almost every response yet agreed with almost every response simultaneously. I just couldn’t agree with putting Rodney Dangerfield on the ****** Mount Rushmore over Mel Brooks but hey that’s a matter of opinion and you guys BEYOND CRUSHED IT!!! My only regret is not submitting a question. I will look out for this in the future so I can slip my inquiry inside your mailbag 😂😭😂🤣😂😭😭😭 sorry I had to!!!

Advertisement
Back