CIS Mail Bag: Week 6

View as article

Canes Legacy

Senior
Premium
Week 6 Mail Bag is locked and loaded for this beautiful college football Saturday. This week we cover a lot of potential changes, where Miami stands in the ACC, and the potential end of America.

@mackjones (CanesInsight): Will the Miami, Hurricane football program return to being a legitimate Top 10 football team in the next six or seven seasons? And will it be on a CONSISTENT season to season basis. And not once every four or six seasons. Enter the 2005 and 2009 and 2017 seasons.

We’re going to learn a lot about the state of this program in the next few weeks. If the season collapses (again) after 1 loss, the foundation that Manny has built over the last 2 years is even weaker than we could have thought. Let’s not forget, no one (realistically) thought this team was running the table this year. Getting beat down by Clemson, a superior team in nearly every facet, was disappointing but not unexpected. So, 1 loss shouldn’t cause all the doom and gloom we’re seeing right now. If Manny continues to make changes and improvements every year, there’s no reason why this program can’t be in that 10-2/9-3 range every year which puts us in the discussion for being top 10.

@mackjones (CanesInsight): Also, when will Miami FINALLY win a bowl game? Because the lone bright spot was the dominating victory over former Big East member West Virginia. Other than that, it's been dry as the desert of say, Death Valley since 2005.

Given Manny’s record when he has time to prepare for an opponent, I would say it might be a little while. This looking unprepared after time off is no longer just an anomaly, it’s a pattern. Even Lashlee looked unprepared which was the most disappointing aspect of Saturday night for me. This team has a bye prior to NC State later in the year so that is a good opportunity to get revenge on the dreaded bye week. A bowl win is crucial this year given the uncertainty around recruiting and visits, any momentum Manny can go into the offseason with, he will take advantage.

@djnellz (CanesInsight): Do you think that Manny Diaz Jr. is head coach material at the University of Miami? And if yes, what does he need to change to make his tenure a lot better?

I think Manny is head coach material at the University of Miami, but certainly needs to make adjustments in order to prosper here. He’s only 1 ¼ years into his tenure but here is what I would change today (keep in mind, we are still early in the year so things can improve naturally over the course of this year). 1. Change at DC- Too many obvious alignment and scheme issues here. I also question the personnel decisions being made. 2- Change at LB coach. We are well below average and the LBs don’t seem to be improving. 3- I don't know how he does it but he needs to find a way to keep the underclassmen from declaring. I understand a guy like Bolden will be a high pick and should go but I’m referring to Blades, Silvera, Hall, Mallory, etc. Keeping King for another year would be a monstrous win. 4- Land more elite guys. We have James Williams and Leonard Taylor coming in but he needs to find a way to get more “5 star” type guys.

@djnellz (CanesInsight): What changes do you expect to see this team make leading up to Pitt? 3 reasons why Miami will beat Pittsburgh and 3 reasons why Miami will lose to Pitt?

I think Lashlee is smart enough to realize what teams are going to do to slow down this offense (load the box and play 1v1 on the outside). I expect him to scheme around that. Defensively, I don’t see how McCloud and Jenning’s snaps don’t decrease and we see more of Brooks and Cave. Something has to change at WR too.

3 reasons why we beat Pitt: 1 We’re more talented. 2 We should be playing ****ed off. 3 I don't see King and Lashlee getting bagged up 2 weeks in a row.

3 reasons why we lose to Pitt: 1 We let Clemson beat us 2 weeks in a row. 2 Pitt is able to duplicate what Clemson did defensively. 3 We continue to give away free yards and points due to penalties.

@yessirking (CanesInsight): Who will have a better CFB career Ed Orgeron or Larry Coker?

My first reaction was Eddy O and it’s not even close. But looking at the numbers and the results, it’s pretty close. Coker has 86 wins/47 losses, 1 Natty, and 3 conference titles. Eddy O has 57 wins/38 losses, 1 Natty, and 1 conference championship. This question is more of what we are projecting to happen with Orgeron going forward. I think LSU caught lightning in a bottle with Burrow, Joe Brady, and that WR corps. LSU will always have talent but Eddy O isn’t a good enough coach to take advantage of that without having elite coaches around him as well. Now Eddy O will in all likelihood pass Coker in terms of wins but I’m not sure LSU will win a conference title anytime soon with Bama and UGA at the level they currently are. I’m going with Coker.

William Cornish (Twitter): If Clemson is the measuring stick, is it fair to say Miami has made no progress in the last 5 years? Changed players and coaches, results are the same.

I see your point but I think using 1 game to judge progress over 5 years is a little shortsighted. Yes, we got blown out and embarrassed ourselves on Saturday night but there has been significant progress the last 5 years (specifically within the last 10 months). That 2017 season was a mirage and we had no business being in the ACC Title game to begin with. Just like we won all those close games that year, the last few years we’ve lost those close games. That’s football sometimes but this roster top to bottom now is in way better shape than in 2017. The jury is still out on Diaz but with another good recruiting class or 2 and we will close the gap with Clemson in terms of roster. They are light years ahead in coaching and that’s the big difference right now.

Peter Genesi (Twitter): Is the wide receiver group capable of competing at an elite level? What would you change?

No, they (Pope, Harley, Wiggins) are not. They don’t have the size, hands, or toughness to be an elite group. I have called them average in the past and I was wrong, they are a below average group. The only thing to change at this point is to give the young guys more reps and see what they can do. Redding, Smith, Payton, and Restrepo don’t have the natural speed that the upperclassmen do but they can't be any worse at catching the ball or fighting for 50-50 balls. Long term, recruiting needs to improve and you need to start landing true alpha, #1 type WRs.

Tolbert J Adams Jr. (Twitter): Should we play the young guys at WR or keep the guys we have now?

The young guys need to see increased reps even if it’s just as a message to the older guys at WR. They have disappointed with their drops and inability to get separation. Redding has played well in his limited snaps and can provide a physical presence this group currently lacks. Smith has big play ability and can be a better downfield threat than Pope and Harley. There is no downside to playing the younger guys based on what we saw Saturday night.

ColumbusCane (Twitter): Do you think we make it back to the ACCCG? I think it will be between us, ND, and UNC.

That’s the million dollar question. With the way the conference race is shaping up, 1 more loss and we are out. Even winning out doesn’t guarantee we make it if ND has 1 loss as well and it goes to the tie-breakers (which can someone clarify what the tiebreaker is if we didn’t play them head to head and we both lost to the same opponent?). To answer your question, I don't think we make it back. Clemson exposed our flaws and every team will try to exploit it and I think someone does it successfully whether that’s Pitt, UNC, or VT.

@CFB_Hogan (CanesInsight): 6'3, 240 lbs in the last week of july and dropped 16 lbs since then. Want to get around 195 as a final goal. Could you make a prediction as to when I will hit it?

March 10th. Keep us updated.

@SouthParkCane (CanesInsight): What’s the difference between a 4.0 and a 4.6?

0.6 duh.

@305407cane (CanesInsight): Does a new autonomous linebacker coach fix this defense? If no, does a new DC that has no previous ties to Manny fix this defense? If yes then who would be your pick? Cause I personally think Manny needs to allow some input into his scheme cause there are inherent flaws.

Follow up question to all: who runs a 4-3/4-2-5 scheme in today’s landscape who you’d love to see at Miami?

With LB being the weakest link on this defense, I think a new LB coach could make a difference. Our LBs, even going back to Shaq and Pinckney, have a tendency to fill the wrong gaps and be confused by any type of misdirection. We don’t place a premium on athleticism at LB and in today’s game, that’s what you need.

A new DC could fix this defense but Manny won’t bring in someone who he doesn’t know and who doesn’t run some type of high risk/high reward type scheme. This style of defense we play is perfect for who we are and what we typically recruit, we just need some tweaks and infusion of talent at certain positions.

In terms of possible DC candidates, I would want a guy that isn’t used to having some giant talent advantage (like someone from Bama or UGA). A name I’ll throw out is David Reeves (UAB’s DC). They play an aggressive style of defense and he does a good job of finding talent as well as developing that talent.

@TimeB0mb (CanesInsight): 1. Do you see any parallels between Dabo's first 3 years as HC at Clemson and Diaz's first three years as HC at Miami? 2. Did Al Golden leave a better team for Mark Richt than Mark Richt did for Manny Diaz? 3. Does Diaz need to replace Baker as DC? If so, could Oregon's Andy Avalos be the answer? 4. Who do you think returns next year?

1. Diaz has only been HC for 1.25 years so far so we need a little more time to draw any parallels but these are 2 completely different programs. Dabo getting Venables to Clemson (any keeping him there) is the biggest factor in their rise to prominence. We won’t be able to keep any good coordinator like that. Diaz will need to re-invent every few years.

2. It’s close but I will go with Golden leaving more talent than Richt did. Diaz had to go to the portal for band-aids at way too many positions. Golden also left Richt with a QB in Kaaya which is a big advantage for a new coach.

3. I’m not a fan of Baker and I don't see us winning any title with him here but I don’t think he goes anywhere. Our defense will have some good performances the rest of the year against inferior teams which will be enough for Diaz to keep him. Avalos would be a great replacement but I don’t see us being able to poach him from Oregon.

4. The only players that I think should go pro are Bolden and Cam Harris. Cam because he’s a RB and I don’t think he improves his stock by returning. Bolden has shown he’s one of the better safeties in the country and will be a top 3 round pick. Guys like Blades, Nesta, Hall, etc. will consider leaving and some probably will only to get drafted late (Miami tradition) but they shouldn’t. A lot can change over the next 7 games but I think if King wants to be a QB in the NFL, he should return as well. Phillips is the biggest question for me as he clearly has round 1 NFL physical talent but could use refinement and more games to pad his stats. He probably leaves though.

@JOE'CANE (CanesInsight): Where do you believe Miami ranks in the ACC?

I believe we are in the 2nd tier of the ACC with UNC and VT. Clemson is in a class of its own and I would put ND in tier 1 as well. We’re a good team but have too many flaws to compete with the big boys of college football. Most predictions for the season were in the 9-2/8-3 range and I think that’s accurate. We need to continue to recruit well and create more separation in terms of pure talent when dealing with VT, UNC, GT, etc. UNC is recruiting lights out right now and have become the biggest threat in the Coastal.

@SinisterCane (CanesInsight): When are we going to start developing our own QBs? Does the WR coach have any say who starts?

At some point, a program needs to develop its own QBs. You can only rely on the portal for so long. We’ve heard good things about TVD but “word” coming out of the program needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Richt and Enos clearly weren’t the answer in terms of QB development so now it’s Lashlee’s turn to make that room right. The system we are running makes it easier on the QB which should help and having Lashlee, whom I have confidence in.

Every program has a different dynamic but the WR coach has input on playing rotations, some may be restricted by their OC and some may have full control. I’m not sure how the Likens/Lashlee duo figures it out but Likens is a highly regarded WR coach who has a proven track record. Was the Clemson game a tipping point for him? Tune in at noon on Saturday vs Pitt to find out.

@Cajuncane (CanesInsight): Do you think Manny will grab his (explicit deleted) and get rid of some of the defensive coaches? Rumph and whoever is coaching the LBer now to start with.

I foresee changes being made on the defensive side. We’ll see how the year finishes but Manny isn't afraid to make change. Rumph is always on the hot seat due to his recruiting ability, or lack thereof. The LB room (led by Patke) has been by far the most disappointing unit on the defensive side. However, Frierson at Striker has impressed and Patke is one of Manny’s guys so I don't see him being let go.

@ben (CanesInsight): This one's a two-parter: (1) the sample size is only four games, but is it fair to say the canes only lost to clemson because i didn't ask you a food-related question for last week's mailbag? and (2) what is the ultimate way to serve a hot dog?

The only logical explanation for Saturday’s beatdown was that you didn’t ask a food related question. This one is on you and I expect you to be better going forward.

In terms of hot dogs, I’m a simple man. Potato bun and hot dog is all I need. If someone asked me to make them the ultimate hot dog, I would do: ketchup, mustard, jalapenos, cheese, bacon, and then some more bacon.

@423Hurricane (CanesInsight) Rare. Medium rare. Medium. Medium well. Well. Brock?

The only correct answer is medium rare. I don’t trust anyone that orders medium well or worse, it’s un-American.

@Luke Caneswalker (CanesInsight): IF we have underclassmen who step up and produce at WR and LB.... Do we do the right thing for our program or politic to keep certain guys happy and engaged?

For LB, based on this staff’s history, I don’t see the depth chart changing that much, or at all. Last week Brooks and Flagg clearly outplayed Jennings and McCloud. That may lead to an increase in snaps for them but I think Manny/Baker/Patke are comfortable with their upperclassmen starting and don’t want to rock the boat.

For WR, we’re only 4 games into the Lashlee/Likens era so I think there’s a decent chance one of Wiggins/Pope/Harley gets benched if a younger guy steps up. The coaches aren’t tied to these guys in any way so I believe they will play the guys that give us the best chance to win.

@Cane47 (CanesInsight): 1. As Pitt will undoubtedly use what worked for Clemson against us, what new wrinkles, sprinkles, or adjustments do you expect to be shown by the Canes on (a) offense and (b) defense?

Offensively, I would add some motion or shifts to our run game to try and throw off the D’s alignment. Clemson had our zone read on lockdown and we didn’t try and do anything different to make it work. Passing game wise, I would use the RBs more into the flats and check downs to give King an easy out for when the pressure gets home (and it will a lot on Saturday).

Defensively against Pitt, I would turn up the aggression and blitz a lot more. Pitt doesn’t have the explosive players Clemson does and Pickett isn’t a super mobile guy. Pitt’s OL isn’t that great either. Mark Whipple is their OC and he likes to take shots down the field so the opportunity for sacks will be there.

2. If we beat Pitt and score lots of points in doing so, would you expect to again see posters stating that we’ll be lucky to have Lashlee beyond this season and we need to do whatever it takes to keep him.

Yup, we are all guilty of riding (and crashing) with the waves during a season. I was disappointed in Lashlee just like everyone else but he’s still a top OC in CFB. He’s been successful at every stop and just because a superior team shut him down 1 time, doesn’t mean every week is going to be like that.

3. Broader question that may not have an immediate answer, but what percentage of Division One college football coaches would you say portray themselves (whether sincerely or not) as men of faith?

I’d estimate around 50% although college coaches will portray themselves as whatever they need to look good in front of boosters, recruits, or their parents.

@PIPO (CanesInsight): Rock, papers, or scissors?

Rock. If it’s a tie I usually switch to scissors.

@SpikeUM (CanesInsight):Anon, Mamey o Nispero?

Mamey, it has the cooler name and is more dynamic in it’s uses.

@TimeB0mb (CanesInsight): Historically, the duration of empires is about 250 years (from birth to collapse). The United States turns 250 in 2026. Do you think the current state of politics in America is an indicator that U.S. global hegemony is nearing an end, or would you contend that the U.S. should not be considered an empire and therefore the historical duration of empires is irrelevant?

Based on the timeline given, I’m assuming that you are referencing the 250 year lifespan suggested by Sir John Glubb’s article, “The Fate of Empires and Search for Survival (1976). While the ideas that he promoted certainly seem relatable to the modern culture of the US (specifically that we are currently in an “age of decadence” that he believes represents the final stage of an empire’s life cycle), my biggest issues with the idea that America is closing in on this imaginary deadline are the methods used by Glubb to end up with a rough average of 250 years in each case of the dynasties listed (from the Assyrians of the 9th century BC to the British empire) and the idea that the American “empire” would have started upon the creation of the nation.

To me, the 250 year number seems like one that is manufactured to fit a theory than a fact. In one example, he split Rome into the republic as one empire and the succeeding 250 years as a separately marked empire. That doesn’t make sense because the whole is representative of one lingering power. While other empires go through significant changes in their time, separating those into two separate timelines seems like a way to make it fit the narrative. Similarly, he condenses the Spanish empire down to 1750 when most consider the ending to come with Napoleon’s victories in 1808. He also claimed that the Ottomans only had an empire from 1320 to 1570, which is a stunningly low number that reflects a now outdated view that the empire’s decline began with the death of Suleimon the Magnificant in 1566.

By Glubb’s own definition in his article, “the term ‘empire’ is used to signify a great power, often called today a superpower. Most of the empires in history have been large landblocks, almost without overseas possessions.” This means that America can still technically fit as an empire in this category without necessarily having any sort of control over international lands or organizations. It also makes the beginning of the American empire something that would need to be looked at closely, because few would make the argument that America was any sort of empire until much later than 1776.

One could probably make the argument that it makes its first move as a “superpower” with the Monroe Doctrine in 1823, but the document was basically laughed off by the rest of the world and would have no doubt been ignored if not backed by the British (who themselves went against it several times with no action taken by the US). It is more justifiable to state that the true beginnings of the Doctrine’s power started in 1895 when the US forced the British themselves to back down over Guyana Esequiba. From there, US power would grow as the policy of non-interventionism would quickly fade away with the coming of the 20th century. With that, the American Empire would still be on the hypothetical clock for another 130 years.

@TheOriginalCane (CanesInsight): Can you please explain why Jimmy Johnson passed on SoFla "baller" Michael Timpson, and how that impacts Mike Harley's tendency to drop passes?

It was more of Timpson passing on Jimmy than the other way around*. We had lost some holdovers from the Howard regime at the end of the ‘84 season and I think there were a lot of people wondering about whether Jimmy had what it took to keep the team together. As such, you had a few big name locals bail. It’s really easy to point at all of the players from SoFl who went on to pro stardom that we didn’t get (Timpson and a South Miami LB named Derrick Thomas) and assume the ‘85 class was bad, but those guys ended up as one of the best classes of solid starting caliber players we ever pulled. The All American Greg Mark, Big game hero Bernard Clark, national champ Steve Walsh, and the hysterically named Rod Holder were just some of the guys in that group.

*Ironically, Jimmy would sign Timpson 13 years later with the Dolphins, only to cut him one month later.

As for why it impacts Harley, it’s simple. Timpson was one of the standout local players that people considered a must get for Miami at the time. Like Mike, Harley was an All American and had some impressive hype coming in once he made the switch from WVU to Miami, especially on the local scene after being so outstanding at STA. While it’s great to pull in a highly regarded local talent, a lot of these guys like Timpson go elsewhere in part to get away from the inherent pressures of being the big fish in your hometown.

Harley struggles with drops especially when he’s trying to live up to those elevated expectations and do things that he shouldn’t, which is basically anything outside of the comfort of the slot. As speedy as he is, pushing him outside to run deeper routes isn’t going to work, and his many drops down the field are the reason for that.

Advertisement
@djnellz (CanesInsight): Do you think that Manny Diaz Jr. is head coach material at the University of Miami? And if yes, what does he need to change to make his tenure a lot better?

I think Manny is head coach material at the University of Miami, but certainly needs to make adjustments in order to prosper here. He’s only 1 ¼ years into his tenure but here is what I would change today (keep in mind, we are still early in the year so things can improve naturally over the course of this year). 1. Change at DC- Too many obvious alignment and scheme issues here. I also question the personnel decisions being made. 2- Change at LB coach. We are well below average and the LBs don’t seem to be improving. 3- I don't know how he does it but he needs to find a way to keep the underclassmen from declaring. I understand a guy like Bolden will be a high pick and should go but I’m referring to Blades, Silvera, Hall, Mallory, etc. Keeping King for another year would be a monstrous win. 4- Land more elite guys. We have James Williams and Leonard Taylor coming in but he needs to find a way to get more “5 star” type guys.
+1 million!

As you noted though, one thing needs to happen before that and that is finish the season strong. I'll accept one more random loss but that's it. If we finish 10-1 or 9-2 + a nice bowl win then I'll be extremely happy with the season.

The next step is what you noted in points 3 and 4.

A 9-2 season with King coming back, Blades, Silvera, Mallory, and Brevin all coming back + holding on to Williams, Taylor (maybe Avantae ready to go as well)....I mean....I don't want to get ahead of myself but ****.....watch out.

But one thing has to happen. Manny needs to finish this season strong. Come on Manolo!

Week 6 Mail Bag is locked and loaded for this beautiful college football Saturday. This week we cover a lot of potential changes, where Miami stands in the ACC, and the potential end of America.

@mackjones (CanesInsight): Will the Miami, Hurricane football program return to being a legitimate Top 10 football team in the next six or seven seasons? And will it be on a CONSISTENT season to season basis. And not once every four or six seasons. Enter the 2005 and 2009 and 2017 seasons.

We’re going to learn a lot about the state of this program in the next few weeks. If the season collapses (again) after 1 loss, the foundation that Manny has built over the last 2 years is even weaker than we could have thought. Let’s not forget, no one (realistically) thought this team was running the table this year. Getting beat down by Clemson, a superior team in nearly every facet, was disappointing but not unexpected. So, 1 loss shouldn’t cause all the doom and gloom we’re seeing right now. If Manny continues to make changes and improvements every year, there’s no reason why this program can’t be in that 10-2/9-3 range every year which puts us in the discussion for being top 10.

@mackjones (CanesInsight): Also, when will Miami FINALLY win a bowl game? Because the lone bright spot was the dominating victory over former Big East member West Virginia. Other than that, it's been dry as the desert of say, Death Valley since 2005.

Given Manny’s record when he has time to prepare for an opponent, I would say it might be a little while. This looking unprepared after time off is no longer just an anomaly, it’s a pattern. Even Lashlee looked unprepared which was the most disappointing aspect of Saturday night for me. This team has a bye prior to NC State later in the year so that is a good opportunity to get revenge on the dreaded bye week. A bowl win is crucial this year given the uncertainty around recruiting and visits, any momentum Manny can go into the offseason with, he will take advantage.

@djnellz (CanesInsight): What changes do you expect to see this team make leading up to Pitt? 3 reasons why Miami will beat Pittsburgh and 3 reasons why Miami will lose to Pitt?

I think Lashlee is smart enough to realize what teams are going to do to slow down this offense (load the box and play 1v1 on the outside). I expect him to scheme around that. Defensively, I don’t see how McCloud and Jenning’s snaps don’t decrease and we see more of Brooks and Cave. Something has to change at WR too.

3 reasons why we beat Pitt: 1 We’re more talented. 2 We should be playing ****ed off. 3 I don't see King and Lashlee getting bagged up 2 weeks in a row.

3 reasons why we lose to Pitt: 1 We let Clemson beat us 2 weeks in a row. 2 Pitt is able to duplicate what Clemson did defensively. 3 We continue to give away free yards and points due to penalties.

@yessirking (CanesInsight): Who will have a better CFB career Ed Orgeron or Larry Coker?

My first reaction was Eddy O and it’s not even close. But looking at the numbers and the results, it’s pretty close. Coker has 86 wins/47 losses, 1 Natty, and 3 conference titles. Eddy O has 57 wins/38 losses, 1 Natty, and 1 conference championship. This question is more of what we are projecting to happen with Orgeron going forward. I think LSU caught lightning in a bottle with Burrow, Joe Brady, and that WR corps. LSU will always have talent but Eddy O isn’t a good enough coach to take advantage of that without having elite coaches around him as well. Now Eddy O will in all likelihood pass Coker in terms of wins but I’m not sure LSU will win a conference title anytime soon with Bama and UGA at the level they currently are. I’m going with Coker.

William Cornish (Twitter): If Clemson is the measuring stick, is it fair to say Miami has made no progress in the last 5 years? Changed players and coaches, results are the same.

I see your point but I think using 1 game to judge progress over 5 years is a little shortsighted. Yes, we got blown out and embarrassed ourselves on Saturday night but there has been significant progress the last 5 years (specifically within the last 10 months). That 2017 season was a mirage and we had no business being in the ACC Title game to begin with. Just like we won all those close games that year, the last few years we’ve lost those close games. That’s football sometimes but this roster top to bottom now is in way better shape than in 2017. The jury is still out on Diaz but with another good recruiting class or 2 and we will close the gap with Clemson in terms of roster. They are light years ahead in coaching and that’s the big difference right now.

Peter Genesi (Twitter): Is the wide receiver group capable of competing at an elite level? What would you change?

No, they (Pope, Harley, Wiggins) are not. They don’t have the size, hands, or toughness to be an elite group. I have called them average in the past and I was wrong, they are a below average group. The only thing to change at this point is to give the young guys more reps and see what they can do. Redding, Smith, Payton, and Restrepo don’t have the natural speed that the upperclassmen do but they can't be any worse at catching the ball or fighting for 50-50 balls. Long term, recruiting needs to improve and you need to start landing true alpha, #1 type WRs.

Tolbert J Adams Jr. (Twitter): Should we play the young guys at WR or keep the guys we have now?

The young guys need to see increased reps even if it’s just as a message to the older guys at WR. They have disappointed with their drops and inability to get separation. Redding has played well in his limited snaps and can provide a physical presence this group currently lacks. Smith has big play ability and can be a better downfield threat than Pope and Harley. There is no downside to playing the younger guys based on what we saw Saturday night.

ColumbusCane (Twitter): Do you think we make it back to the ACCCG? I think it will be between us, ND, and UNC.

That’s the million dollar question. With the way the conference race is shaping up, 1 more loss and we are out. Even winning out doesn’t guarantee we make it if ND has 1 loss as well and it goes to the tie-breakers (which can someone clarify what the tiebreaker is if we didn’t play them head to head and we both lost to the same opponent?). To answer your question, I don't think we make it back. Clemson exposed our flaws and every team will try to exploit it and I think someone does it successfully whether that’s Pitt, UNC, or VT.

@CFB_Hogan (CanesInsight): 6'3, 240 lbs in the last week of july and dropped 16 lbs since then. Want to get around 195 as a final goal. Could you make a prediction as to when I will hit it?

0.6 duh.

@305407cane (CanesInsight): Does a new autonomous linebacker coach fix this defense? If no, does a new DC that has no previous ties to Manny fix this defense? If yes then who would be your pick? Cause I personally think Manny needs to allow some input into his scheme cause there are inherent flaws.

Follow up question to all: who runs a 4-3/4-2-5 scheme in today’s landscape who you’d love to see at Miami?

With LB being the weakest link on this defense, I think a new LB coach could make a difference. Our LBs, even going back to Shaq and Pinckney, have a tendency to fill the wrong gaps and be confused by any type of misdirection. We don’t place a premium on athleticism at LB and in today’s game, that’s what you need.

A new DC could fix this defense but Manny won’t bring in someone who he doesn’t know and who doesn’t run some type of high risk/high reward type scheme. This style of defense we play is perfect for who we are and what we typically recruit, we just need some tweaks and infusion of talent at certain positions.

In terms of possible DC candidates, I would want a guy that isn’t used to having some giant talent advantage (like someone from Bama or UGA). A name I’ll throw out is David Reeves (UAB’s DC). They play an aggressive style of defense and he does a good job of finding talent as well as developing that talent.

@TimeB0mb (CanesInsight): 1. Do you see any parallels between Dabo's first 3 years as HC at Clemson and Diaz's first three years as HC at Miami? 2. Did Al Golden leave a better team for Mark Richt than Mark Richt did for Manny Diaz? 3. Does Diaz need to replace Baker as DC? If so, could Oregon's Andy Avalos be the answer? 4. Who do you think returns next year?

1. Diaz has only been HC for 1.25 years so far so we need a little more time to draw any parallels but these are 2 completely different programs. Dabo getting Venables to Clemson (any keeping him there) is the biggest factor in their rise to prominence. We won’t be able to keep any good coordinator like that. Diaz will need to re-invent every few years.

2. It’s close but I will go with Golden leaving more talent than Richt did. Diaz had to go to the portal for band-aids at way too many positions. Golden also left Richt with a QB in Kaaya which is a big advantage for a new coach.

3. I’m not a fan of Baker and I don't see us winning any title with him here but I don’t think he goes anywhere. Our defense will have some good performances the rest of the year against inferior teams which will be enough for Diaz to keep him. Avalos would be a great replacement but I don’t see us being able to poach him from Oregon.

4. The only players that I think should go pro are Bolden and Cam Harris. Cam because he’s a RB and I don’t think he improves his stock by returning. Bolden has shown he’s one of the better safeties in the country and will be a top 3 round pick. Guys like Blades, Nesta, Hall, etc. will consider leaving and some probably will only to get drafted late (Miami tradition) but they shouldn’t. A lot can change over the next 7 games but I think if King wants to be a QB in the NFL, he should return as well. Phillips is the biggest question for me as he clearly has round 1 NFL physical talent but could use refinement and more games to pad his stats. He probably leaves though.

I believe we are in the 2nd tier of the ACC with UNC and VT. Clemson is in a class of its own and I would put ND in tier 1 as well. We’re a good team but have too many flaws to compete with the big boys of college football. Most predictions for the season were in the 9-2/8-3 range and I think that’s accurate. We need to continue to recruit well and create more separation in terms of pure talent when dealing with VT, UNC, GT, etc. UNC is recruiting lights out right now and have become the biggest threat in the Coastal.

@SinisterCane (CanesInsight): When are we going to start developing our own QBs? Does the WR coach have any say who starts?

At some point, a program needs to develop its own QBs. You can only rely on the portal for so long. We’ve heard good things about TVD but “word” coming out of the program needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Richt and Enos clearly weren’t the answer in terms of QB development so now it’s Lashlee’s turn to make that room right. The system we are running makes it easier on the QB which should help and having Lashlee, whom I have confidence in.

Every program has a different dynamic but the WR coach has input on playing rotations, some may be restricted by their OC and some may have full control. I’m not sure how the Likens/Lashlee duo figures it out but Likens is a highly regarded WR coach who has a proven track record. Was the Clemson game a tipping point for him? Tune in at noon on Saturday vs Pitt to find out.

@Cajuncane (CanesInsight): Do you think Manny will grab his (explicit deleted) and get rid of some of the defensive coaches? Rumph and whoever is coaching the LBer now to start with.

I foresee changes being made on the defensive side. We’ll see how the year finishes but Manny isn't afraid to make change. Rumph is always on the hot seat due to his recruiting ability, or lack thereof. The LB room (led by Patke) has been by far the most disappointing unit on the defensive side. However, Frierson at Striker has impressed and Patke is one of Manny’s guys so I don't see him being let go.

@ben (CanesInsight): This one's a two-parter: (1) the sample size is only four games, but is it fair to say the canes only lost to clemson because i didn't ask you a food-related question for last week's mailbag? and (2) what is the ultimate way to serve a hot dog?

The only logical explanation for Saturday’s beatdown was that you didn’t ask a food related question. This one is on you and I expect you to be better going forward.

In terms of hot dogs, I’m a simple man. Potato bun and hot dog is all I need. If someone asked me to make them the ultimate hot dog, I would do: ketchup, mustard, jalapenos, cheese, bacon, and then some more bacon.

@423Hurricane (CanesInsight) Rare. Medium rare. Medium. Medium well. Well. Brock?

The only correct answer is medium rare. I don’t trust anyone that orders medium well or worse, it’s un-American.

@Luke Caneswalker (CanesInsight): IF we have underclassmen who step up and produce at WR and LB.... Do we do the right thing for our program or politic to keep certain guys happy and engaged?

For LB, based on this staff’s history, I don’t see the depth chart changing that much, or at all. Last week Brooks and Flagg clearly outplayed Jennings and McCloud. That may lead to an increase in snaps for them but I think Manny/Baker/Patke are comfortable with their upperclassmen starting and don’t want to rock the boat.

For WR, we’re only 4 games into the Lashlee/Likens era so I think there’s a decent chance one of Wiggins/Pope/Harley gets benched if a younger guy steps up. The coaches aren’t tied to these guys in any way so I believe they will play the guys that give us the best chance to win.

@Cane47 (CanesInsight): 1. As Pitt will undoubtedly use what worked for Clemson against us, what new wrinkles, sprinkles, or adjustments do you expect to be shown by the Canes on (a) offense and (b) defense?

Offensively, I would add some motion or shifts to our run game to try and throw off the D’s alignment. Clemson had our zone read on lockdown and we didn’t try and do anything different to make it work. Passing game wise, I would use the RBs more into the flats and check downs to give King an easy out for when the pressure gets home (and it will a lot on Saturday).

Defensively against Pitt, I would turn up the aggression and blitz a lot more. Pitt doesn’t have the explosive players Clemson does and Pickett isn’t a super mobile guy. Pitt’s OL isn’t that great either. Mark Whipple is their OC and he likes to take shots down the field so the opportunity for sacks will be there.

2. If we beat Pitt and score lots of points in doing so, would you expect to again see posters stating that we’ll be lucky to have Lashlee beyond this season and we need to do whatever it takes to keep him.

Yup, we are all guilty of riding (and crashing) with the waves during a season. I was disappointed in Lashlee just like everyone else but he’s still a top OC in CFB. He’s been successful at every stop and just because a superior team shut him down 1 time, doesn’t mean every week is going to be like that.

3. Broader question that may not have an immediate answer, but what percentage of Division One college football coaches would you say portray themselves (whether sincerely or not) as men of faith?

I’d estimate around 50% although college coaches will portray themselves as whatever they need to look good in front of boosters, recruits, or their parents.

@TimeB0mb (CanesInsight): Historically, the duration of empires is about 250 years (from birth to collapse). The United States turns 250 in 2026. Do you think the current state of politics in America is an indicator that U.S. global hegemony is nearing an end, or would you contend that the U.S. should not be considered an empire and therefore the historical duration of empires is irrelevant?

Based on the timeline given, I’m assuming that you are referencing the 250 year lifespan suggested by Sir John Glubb’s article, “The Fate of Empires and Search for Survival (1976). While the ideas that he promoted certainly seem relatable to the modern culture of the US (specifically that we are currently in an “age of decadence” that he believes represents the final stage of an empire’s life cycle), my biggest issues with the idea that America is closing in on this imaginary deadline are the methods used by Glubb to end up with a rough average of 250 years in each case of the dynasties listed (from the Assyrians of the 9th century BC to the British empire) and the idea that the American “empire” would have started upon the creation of the nation.

To me, the 250 year number seems like one that is manufactured to fit a theory than a fact. In one example, he split Rome into the republic as one empire and the succeeding 250 years as a separately marked empire. That doesn’t make sense because the whole is representative of one lingering power. While other empires go through significant changes in their time, separating those into two separate timelines seems like a way to make it fit the narrative. Similarly, he condenses the Spanish empire down to 1750 when most consider the ending to come with Napoleon’s victories in 1808. He also claimed that the Ottomans only had an empire from 1320 to 1570, which is a stunningly low number that reflects a now outdated view that the empire’s decline began with the death of Suleimon the Magnificant in 1566.

By Glubb’s own definition in his article, “the term ‘empire’ is used to signify a great power, often called today a superpower. Most of the empires in history have been large landblocks, almost without overseas possessions.” This means that America can still technically fit as an empire in this category without necessarily having any sort of control over international lands or organizations. It also makes the beginning of the American empire something that would need to be looked at closely, because few would make the argument that America was any sort of empire until much later than 1776.

One could probably make the argument that it makes its first move as a “superpower” with the Monroe Doctrine in 1823, but the document was basically laughed off by the rest of the world and would have no doubt been ignored if not backed by the British (who themselves went against it several times with no action taken by the US). It is more justifiable to state that the true beginnings of the Doctrine’s power started in 1895 when the US forced the British themselves to back down over Guyana Esequiba. From there, US power would grow as the policy of non-interventionism would quickly fade away with the coming of the 20th century. With that, the American Empire would still be on the hypothetical clock for another 130 years.

@TheOriginalCane (CanesInsight): Can you please explain why Jimmy Johnson passed on SoFla "baller" Michael Timpson, and how that impacts Mike Harley's tendency to drop passes?

It was more of Timpson passing on Jimmy than the other way around*. We had lost some holdovers from the Howard regime at the end of the ‘84 season and I think there were a lot of people wondering about whether Jimmy had what it took to keep the team together. As such, you had a few big name locals bail. It’s really easy to point at all of the players from SoFl who went on to pro stardom that we didn’t get (Timpson and a South Miami LB named Derrick Thomas) and assume the ‘85 class was bad, but those guys ended up as one of the best classes of solid starting caliber players we ever pulled. The All American Greg Mark, Big game hero Bernard Clark, national champ Steve Walsh, and the hysterically named Rod Holder were just some of the guys in that group.

*Ironically, Jimmy would sign Timpson 13 years later with the Dolphins, only to cut him one month later.

As for why it impacts Harley, it’s simple. Timpson was one of the standout local players that people considered a must get for Miami at the time. Like Mike, Harley was an All American and had some impressive hype coming in once he made the switch from WVU to Miami, especially on the local scene after being so outstanding at STA. While it’s great to pull in a highly regarded local talent, a lot of these guys like Timpson go elsewhere in part to get away from the inherent pressures of being the big fish in your hometown.

Harley struggles with drops especially when he’s trying to live up to those elevated expectations and do things that he shouldn’t, which is basically anything outside of the comfort of the slot. As speedy as he is, pushing him outside to run deeper routes isn’t going to work, and his many drops down the field are the reason for that.
Great responses by you. It’s obvious that you put a lot of time and effort into responding to the various members questions.
Much appreciated. 👍

Advertisement
+1 million!

As you noted though, one thing needs to happen before that and that is finish the season strong. I'll accept one more random loss but that's it. If we finish 10-1 or 9-2 + a nice bowl win then I'll be extremely happy with the season.

The next step is what you noted in points 3 and 4.

A 9-2 season with King coming back, Blades, Silvera, Mallory, and Brevin all coming back + holding on to Williams, Taylor (maybe Avantae ready to go as well)....I mean....I don't want to get ahead of myself but ****.....watch out.

But one thing has to happen. Manny needs to finish this season strong. Come on Manolo!

If we finish strong (assuming we miss the ACCCG due to "tie-breakers") and win our bowl. Game, maybe Bolden comes back, too. They could look at this as unfinished business and would want to come back sans Cam.
I will say I see Tate not transferring but just quitting football, I could see Kosi leaving, I wouldn't mind seeing McCloud, Jennings and Carter transferring out, either.

0.6 duh.

Thanks for your reply but I would have to disagree with ND being Tier 1.

Advertisement
After yesterday, agreed. ND is their usually overrated self and I can’t wait for Clemson to smack them.
I saw them against Duke and thought they were nothing special, last week against FSU just reaffirmed it, and this week vs Louisville just shows everyone that they could be had.

I saw them against Duke and thought they were nothing special, last week against FSU just reaffirmed it, and this week vs Louisville just shows everyone that they could be had.

Its a shame the ACC didn’t let us play them this year. Huge opportunity missed.

Advertisement

0.6 duh.

Your answer to my declining empire question is glorious.

Also, to the question of Clemson being the measuring stick- let's say in 2017, we don't get those two miraculous catches at the end of GT and FSU. Those were one in a thousand occurrences and it happened twice. If we don't get those, we win 8 games in 2017 (which is what I think is about right for the talent level). That would mean we would have had a linear decline from 2016.

2016 9 wins
2017 8 wins
2018 7 wins
2019 6 wins

The defense was the only consistent part of those teams that could be considered average or above. I think in a non - Covid season, with a full camp, Miami is at 5-0 right now. There is no Clemson on the schedule. We would be on track to win at least 10 (real wins, no flukes). That would be a remarkable achievement year 2 achievement for any coach that took over a team that was in a steady freefall for 4 years (and the years before that were unkind as well). Even now we are looking at 10 wins with one less game on the schedule. Yet I think many posters would ignore that tremendous improvement and instead foolishly fixate on Miami not measuring up to Clemson in Diaz's second year.

Just “adding” additional information …

the “lore“ that Jimmy, and Howard, locked down South Florida was great marketing on their part and has always seemed like “new” fan fiction, if not wholesale historical recreation with plenty of license.

conversations 35 years ago tend to haze…but Timpson was never going to Miami. (just like a former high school teammate of Michael Irvin was never considering Miami and went to LSU. …hilarious story of a running back every canes fan should know telling the kid WHY he should visit Ohio State). Timpson was sold on Paterno (who was considered a walking “god” at the time) and — the University of Miami didn’t have a varsity track team. Timpson had just set the high school national records at 110m and 300m hurdles (Best ever, both events, even though technically Arthur Blake and Renaldo Nehemiah were faster. But why mess up a good story with facts, right?) and was a 25 foot long jumper.

Timpson would have been closer to Jeudy, without the hands, in terms of sheer talent than Harley. Not trying to disparage Harley but they weren’t in the same hemisphere physically, or speed. Or talent. Harley MIGHT run sub-4.50 at the combine and Timpson was capable of sub-4.30. Ive always felt, and many people said it at the time, that PSU was the wrong school for him — and he still did 10 in the NFL.

Advertisement
Back